What Is An Earthcache

simple its an interesting place of geology as every earth cache says when you look at the photos

An Earthcache is an educational form of a virtual cache. The reward for these caches is learning more about the planet on which we live - its landscapes, its geology or the minerals and fossils that are found there. Many Earthcaches are in National Parks. Some are multi-cache in form, and some have a physical log book located in or close to a Visitor Center. Earthcaches are developed in association with the Geological Society of America. For more information go to http://www.geosociety.org/earthcache/

Found my first earthcache today here - sent off e-mail, waiting for confirmation before I log.

I suppose it was an OK place with some educational interest, but hardly "gee whiz". Certainly if you submitted it as a virtual it would be rejected under the current guidelines.

I think Earthcaches probably came about on gc.com because someone was thinking of creating the site and contacted Groundspeak, and it happened to land on the desk of TPTB on a good day. Apparently the Earthcaches will go to Waymarking.com along with the virtuals etc. So I'm glad to have the icon, but I didn't have my socks knocked off.

(That having been said, I have visited the Grand Canyon... after you've done that, your socks will remain unknocked-off for a loooooooong time.)

Found my first earthcache today here - sent off e-mail, waiting for confirmation before I log.

I suppose it was an OK place with some educational interest, but hardly "gee whiz".  Certainly if you submitted it as a virtual it would be rejected under the current guidelines.

I think Earthcaches probably came about on gc.com because someone was thinking of creating the site and contacted Groundspeak, and it happened to land on the desk of TPTB on a good day.  Apparently the Earthcaches will go to Waymarking.com along with the virtuals etc.  So I'm glad to have the icon, but I didn't have my socks knocked off.

(That having been said, I have visited the Grand Canyon... after you've done that, your socks will remain unknocked-off for a loooooooong time.)

I can agree with where you are coming from, my volcano earthcache Arthur's Seat is nothing really to write home about, although you do get spectacular views of Edinburgh from it. However my Mimetolith earthcache Grey Man of Merrick had me stood in awe once I reached it. I really think it all depends on your perception of what you want to learn from the location?

4c21c643-3d14-49a3-a6e4-175e406969fa.jpg