Can You Say Thales?

I just received a job offer from Thales and I wondered how many people know how to pronounce it? In my notes from the phone messages they left, I spelled it Tallas, like Dallas, which is how they say it. Or maybe they pronounce it Talles, but it sounds pretty much the same.

BTW, my job won't be with the navigation division, I will be designing tactical radios for military use. Sort of like the ones they use on Stargate, but real!

Since I go to the Electronic Transaction Association meetings on occassion, I was influenced by their Credit Card Terminal sales force. Before they (just the terminal people) were Thales, they were Dessault, though. Most Americans called it something like D'Salt, so Thales was at least a step closer to understandable. It's easy to understand why they sell GPSs under the name Magellan, doesn't it?

It's a French company, so they say TALES, w/o the "H".

The "A" is an open "A" like in "abrupt", "affordable", "alphabet" or "Dallas", not like when you prononce it in the alphabet (a, b, c, d...).

The "E" pronces like the "AI" in "FAIR", not like "E" by iteslf. Remove the "F" and the "R", add the "S" and you got it.

"T" and "S" are the same.

If you prononce the "S" like an "S" by itself, you could say "TALS" or maybe I should write it "TAL_S". Hope this helps.

Edited by geotrouvetout

That's right, lots or letters are silent, particularely "H" and "E", when the "E" is at the end of a word and the plural "S" never prononces.

Oh, when I say "E" is like "AI", that's only in THIS word "thales", "E" prononces in may ways depending on the letters arround it. Same for the "T". "T" by itself prononces almost like in "TE_RRAIN" or "TE_RRESTRIAL"

"S" is the same FR/EN in other words too. Congrat's for your job offer.

Where is your job offer located?  I thought I heard recently they were hiring somewhere in Maryland perhaps?

I will start Monday with the Communications Division in Clarksburg, MD. It used to be Racal, IIRC. Thales bought them a few years back and has turned them into something to take notice of making rugged, tactical comms gear.

I found out that I do get Magellan gear at a discount, but the numbers I was given did not seem very good. But they were from 2004 and hopefully they can do better. I like my Merigold for caching, but on the road or when you are changing the zoom factor, the display can be slow to update. I would like to think the newer units with faster processors don't have that problem. No, they likely have a whole new set of problems. :P