Painting Micro Caches

maple.hill

There is a type of spray paint just for plastic. I think the issue is twofold. First you need to rough up the surface with coarse sandpaper or I have even just used a file or knife to make a lot of scratches. Then you need a paint that will flex with the plastic as it expands and contracts, the special "plastic" paint should do that. :ph34r:

If it's in a natural environment, nothing beats using cloth camo tape. It's like it's not even there.

Hey Ambrosia, I know this may be OT, but had to ask. I recently began hiding my own caches and tried to find the camo duct tape. The only camo tape the Wally Worlds sell in NW FL is the cloth type tape meant for wrapping guns and bows I guess for turkey hunting. In your experience with this tape, how does it hold up to the elements. I've got it wrapped around a couple 2+ quart tupperware type caches and I'm wondering if it holds up to the moisture??? :ph34r:

If it's in a natural environment, nothing beats using cloth camo tape.  It's like it's not even there.

Hey Ambrosia, I know this may be OT, but had to ask. I recently began hiding my own caches and tried to find the camo duct tape. The only camo tape the Wally Worlds sell in NW FL is the cloth type tape meant for wrapping guns and bows I guess for turkey hunting. In your experience with this tape, how does it hold up to the elements. I've got it wrapped around a couple 2+ quart tupperware type caches and I'm wondering if it holds up to the moisture??? :ph34r:

It could be better. It's better wrapped around things like film canisters, than it is over cache containers, where there are a lot more edges to start peeling.

I've heard that it does well if you seal it with a clear sealer, but I haven't tried that yet.

I've had one in Seattle area since this spring, and no one's complained so far.

I figure it's more worth it to me to replace the tape once in a while, then to have to deal with caches that end up missing because they're visible.

Also, if you don't care about the shine, you can get camo duct tape, which should hold up even better.

In your experience with this tape, how does it hold up to the elements. I've got it wrapped around a couple 2+ quart tupperware type caches and I'm wondering if it holds up to the moisture???

I've used the cloth tape. Its pretty expensive though, so I prefer duct tape when I find it.

I sprayed the caches covered with cloth tape with a few coats of clear sealer. One spent 2 years directly exposed to the weather and is still going strong.

Camo cloth, or tape would work.

Word of advice, if hiding a micro, please go with a waterproof container. I have hidden a 35mm micro and all it was, was a pain to go an put a new log book in everytime it rained.

There are some really clever micro ideas on eBay and Bison containers are waterproof as far as rain is concerned. They are also very 'camoflauged' as well.

I used cammo duct tape (got it a sporting goods store - Academy). Cache has been out for about 2 months and so far it has not peeled off or gotten gooey - which I was afraid it might. It has survived 100+ degree days, but I'm not sure how it will do when the weather gets wetter and more humid.

When painting any type of plastic container, I first paint it with a coat of Krylon Fusion paint. That is the base paint layer. Another coat of Krylon Fusion is recommended. After that, I just paint it with whatever colors I want to match it to the place I intend to hide it.