(d/t)

HWyatt

I'm taking some newbies out geocaching and one of them has bad knees and can't hike too far.

So, as I look at cache notes...the (D/T) means distance and apx time it should take to find the cache, right?

So if a cache has (3.5/1.5) rating it means 3.5 miles and apx 1.5 hours.

Am I reading this right?

Thanks.

HWyatt, not wanting to lose a friend geocaching

It means difficulty (how hard it is to find and/or retreive the cache when you get to the site) and terrain (how hard it is to get to the cache site).

Here are the accepted definitions:

Difficulty rating:

* Easy. In plain sight or can be found in a few minutes of searching.

** Average. The average cache hunter would be able to find this in less than 30 minutes of hunting.

*** Challenging. An experienced cache hunter will find this challenging, and it could take up a good portion of an afternoon.

**** Difficult. A real challenge for the experienced cache hunter - may require special skills or knowledge, or in-depth preparation to find. May require multiple days / trips to complete.

***** Extreme. A serious mental or physical challenge. Requires specialized knowledge, skills, or equipment to find cache.

Terrain rating:

* Handicapped accessible. (Terrain is likely to be paved, is relatively flat, and less than a 1/2 mile hike is required.)

** Suitable for small children. (Terrain is generally along marked trails, there are no steep elevation changes or heavy overgrowth. Less than a 2 mile hike required.)

*** Not suitable for small children. (The average adult or older child should be OK depending on physical condition. Terrain is likely off-trail. May have one or more of the following: some overgrowth, some steep elevation changes, or more than a 2 mile hike.)

**** Experienced outdoor enthusiasts only. (Terrain is probably off-trail. Will have one or more of the following: very heavy overgrowth, very steep elevation (requiring use of hands), or more than a 10 mile hike. May require an overnight stay.)

***** Requires specialized equipment and knowledge or experience, (boat, 4WD, rock climbing, SCUBA, etc) or is otherwise extremely difficult.

Edited by briansnat

I have always liked these posted by QDMan here. <_<

Here are my ratings:

Difficulty

* - A Muggle can find it.

** - A neocacher can find it.

*** - I can find it.

**** - Maybe someday I'll find it.

***** - I'll never find it.

Terrain

* - I can run to the cache.

** - I can walk to the cache.

*** - I can still walk to the cache, but I have to rest before I come back.

**** - I can walk to the cache if I set up a base camp halfway there.

***** - I call Harry's Cargo Service to airlift me in and out.

:P