Great Canadian Cache Series

dogbreathcanada

Not going to suggest great single caches, or great multi-caches, or great puzzle caches. Instead I'm going to focus on cache series, of which each stage of the series is individually loggable. The series itself could consist of traditional, puzzle, or multi caches in any combination.

For the Greater Vancouver Regional District (GVRD) the following series are what I consider to be the premium cache series in the area. (I've given a link to either a representative cache in the series, or to the series finale.)

Tongue Twister Series by Wild Wiggly Beanz

This series consists of 26 separate traditional caches, each giving a clue to the final cache location. Each cache was a unique hide, some being very cleverly hidden camouflaged caches, and others being traditional Lock & Lock hides. Probably the most popular series the area has ever seen. A lot of extraordinary effort was put into this series by the Wild Wiggly Beanz.

Postcards from Ladner by Half-Canadian and Scooter the Wonder Dog

A four part series, of which a GPS is not required for the first three sections. At each of the first three stages you're given a photograph (i.e. a postcard) showing a location in Ladner. You're to find that location and retrieve a micro cache which contains partial coordinate clues to the final cache. Another similar cache series is being developed for Sidney, BC by Tinkernoonoo.

Scruffster Skunk is Missing by Scruffster

This is a five stage series of puzzle caches, the theme being the search for the missing Scruffster Skunk. With each stage you're given a number of clues, such as diary entries, newspaper articles, photographs, and other sundry items. Once a stage is completed, you're given a password so that you can begin work on the next stage. Very cleverly designed. Though I've yet to complete a single stage of the series, I look forward to partaking in this adventure.

Vancouver Transit Memorial Project by Pharmadude

There was once a moving cache in the GVRD. It moved to over 150 locations in a two year timespan. It's long been archived. Pharmadude thought it would be a neat idea to memorialize all those transient hides with permanent caches. Local GVRD cachers apply for locations as managed by Pharmadude. Every month a few more VTMP caches are added to the series. There is no finale cache in the series.

Burnaby History Tour by Scruffster

This is a series of traditional Lock & Lock caches (and one multi cache). Different from the other series in that there is no final location to decode. Each cache stands on its own. The interesting aspect of this series is the research that Scruffster has compiled and provided. Each cache brings you to a forgotten piece of Burnaby History. There are no plaques or monuments at any of the locations, but each location still serves up some fascinating historical facts as researched by one of Burnaby's premier amateur historians.

Vancouver Decachelon by Mr. Gigabyte

Probably the first large scale series in the GVRD. Often replicated throughout BC (such as a similar Fraser Valley series and a similar series in the Prince George area). Consisted of ten traditional caches, each giving a clue to the final Winner's Podium.

If you want to post about some interesting series in your area, please do.

Edited by dogbreathcanada

In Southern Ontario, we have quite a few.

My favourite completed sequential series is Algonquin Bound's "Bruce Almighty"

Bruce Almighty #1 - Rock 'n' Wood

You must do them in order, however, so I posted the first of 7.

My favourite completed random order series is Buttons and Beaux's "CLUE"

The Clue Series

I listed the Final

The best concept for a Series definitely goes to Res2100's "Virtual GeoPoker Tour 2005"

Virtual GeoPoker Tour

Which I really want to get back to in mid November

And for the best Series that involves multiple hiders... the classic "Golden Horseshoe Multi Cacher Multi Cache" takes the cake.

Golden Horseshoe MCMC

One other that is notable

The Zodiac Series by Flick

Zodiac Series Final

There are so many more... and as long as you cannot find the Final without doing all of the stages first... then the reward for completing the series feel so good.

:lol: The Blue Quasar

I agree with all the ones Blue Quasar mentioned above too...I still have to finish the Zodiac series.

The best series I have ever done and those that have done it will probably agree:

The Falls Tour by Bent & Twisted

This was by far the best and my favourite series of all time and would be very hard to surpass. Not only has it shown us many awesome areas of Southern Ontario, the final (and the 300m we journeyed beyond the final) was the icing on the cake as we found a spot that almost no one had ventured to or even knows about. Unfortunately the Final is now archived, but the rest of the caches in the series remain.

2985b2b5-69d9-4377-9e0c-2a4ab1486b8f.jpg

3aa29a77-5e29-4bc3-b97a-952bc503d3b7.jpg

b62059d0-6c6b-47dd-b202-97a571c63b20.jpg

5ff45758-235c-4e47-8f4d-16ab01c2cf35.jpg

In the Fraser Valley, one of the most oft-suggested series is:

Sasquatch Stomp by WAAS Up!

It is an eight stage, non-ordered series, each stage containing a clue to a ninth final location. The entire series brings you from one end of Sasquatch Provincial Park to the other. It is located near Agassiz British Columbia.

Well, The Blue Quasar is the undisputed king of series' in this neck of the woods (Golden Horseshoe area of Ontario). As well as the brilliant Blue Box Series Annie mentioned, I think many of us learned the art from his original Quasy Cache Series as well as the often-frustrating Bluelean Logic Series.

Keith Watson's Micro Mania Series needs to be mentioned as well, though, or perhaps because, it too, was incredibly frustrating at times, for an incredible number of people. It also featured one of the most original and clever final puzzles I have seen, to date.

As BQ said, though, the absolute best of the best was Flick's GHMCMC Golden Horseshoe Multi-Cachers Multi-Cache. Fourteen caches were hidden by fourteen cachers in a huge geographical area, each containing a clue toward the final. The Stats page alone, is worth a visit. I've been thinking lately that it's time for a follow-up, Flick. I'll be glad to help. Honoured, even! :unsure:

Matheson Lake Series by jrav

A couple kilometre family-friendly hike around Matheson Lake in Metchosin, BC, just west of Victoria. The hike affords wonderful views of the Juan de Fuca Strait and the Olympci Mountains.

Skytraining by BC Tripper

This 11 part series takes you along the GVRD Skytrain system. At eleven different stations are hidden 11 different caches. Ride the rails for this unique series.

Here's a few of the Southern Alberta ones:

Badlands High Roller Series by balloonatic.

Get a great tour of Drumheller, you may even see balloonatic flying around.

Cache within a cache by outforthehunt

The final is in a great location in a really cool container. I don't think all of these survived the floods. OFTH will provide missing coordinates as needed, I'm sure.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves by outforthehunt

This one had major flood problems, I doubt if it will be resurrected.

Crawling Around by 3jaze

Those bogus coordinates are far off, here's one leg of it:

Crawling - Benched

This one was really fascinating, touring around the Crawling Valley reservoir near Bassano

Scruffster Skunk is Missing by Scruffster

This is a five stage series of puzzle caches, the theme being the search for the missing Scruffster Skunk. With each stage you're given a number of clues, such as diary entries, newspaper articles, photographs, and other sundry items. Once a stage is completed, you're given a password so that you can begin work on the next stage. Very cleverly designed. Though I've yet to complete a single stage of the series, I look forward to partaking in this adventure.

This popular series is being extended with an additional 5 caches, bringing the total to 10.

:ph34r:

Now how can I let this slip by without mentioning my 401 SERIES 'SERVICE CENTRES' Caches that I set up earlier this year, with the help of 11 other Ontario cachers, stretching for over 800kms from Windsor to the Quebec border.

Maybe not as challenging as some others or as pretty but with over 12, 000 page hits they are well viewed.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...S+&submit4=Find

Without the following help this series would never have succeeded.:

-MickeyDs---snowguy---BNStephens---Bent &Twisted---RubyJane,Splatman&WannaRam--- Dex4---timve3---mebarb---jtee---Binrat---(and way out east)--(Naja/Marij and Lars) :anitongue:

One way to get counters is to go to "Google":HIT COUNTER Webpage and look at the different hit counters.

The other way is to sign into LaGeocaching and pick a counter from their menu. (as I do)

Once you have a hit counter established you can go back and check on the hits of all or any individual page without opening every GC page you own.

Also works on 'Waymarking' pages.

Link to...... LAGeocaching :lol:

427296cd-b143-49c5-abe7-313205338315.jpg

I guess two caches don't make a cache series ...

But I've placed two Canada Cup caches:

Canada Cup 1976

Canada Cup 1987

To make this a series, is there anyone in BC (or across Canada, for that matter) willing to create caches for the remaining Canada Cups? We need a Canada Cup 1981, 1984, and 1991.

We could always extend it to include Summit Series 1972 and 1974, as well as World Cup of Hockey 1996 and 2004.

Sooooo many in Ontario that didn't get mentioned. Some are now archived, but here are a bunch (in no particular order):

Seven Deadly Sins

TICO

Tour of Mowhawk

Whiskey Jack Trivia

WTL

Trans Canada Trail

BT (Bruce Trail)

CT

Elements

Finding Nemo

Forgotten (Sudbury area)

Home on the Moraine

Kelso

Let's Make a Deal

MP

Multi-Agreement Forrest

Park and Pool

Park and Paddle

Parking on the Credit

Parking on the Credit - The Mini Series

Hiking on the Credit

Reminds Me of a Song

River Stroll

Roadside

Troll

Trials of Caledonia

I'm sure I've missed a few as well

Thanx, Tony

Hmmm, if a Canada Cup 1981 cache comes into existence, I'll have to give my Team Canada 81 TB a new goal! Currently hanging out in the hockey hotbed of North Carolina (but close to Raleigh, home of the Hurricanes and it did make it through Montreal on route).

I've already got one hockey themed cache I own, so I'm probably not interested in doing another one, but they are fun to have out there.

Dolfin61

Edited by dolfin61

Does that mean you don't plan on doing more of the Canada Cup ones, DogBreathCanada? And here I was expecting you would, but I guess you set my expectations pretty high with the Hooked on Phonics Series, which was great by the way (there someone else is tooting your horn for you)

I would also like to thank you for bookmarking these series, it has made loading waypoints easier. AND it is helping me plan my up coming trip to Ontario :P

Ice

Does that mean you don't plan on doing more of the Canada Cup ones, DogBreathCanada? And here I was expecting you would, but I guess you set my expectations pretty high with the Hooked on Phonics Series, which was great by the way (there someone else is tooting your horn for you)

I might. I was hoping other people might be interested in doing a few of them. I was thinking about Canada Cup 1981 earlier today actually, considering a puzzle that would be harder to solve than the puzzle I used on 1976 and 1987.

I might. I was hoping other people might be interested in doing a few of them. I was thinking about Canada Cup 1981 earlier today actually, considering a puzzle that would be harder to solve than the puzzle I used on 1976 and 1987.

So your going to make us work harder are you?

I have another series for your list that I found when looking for some caches to take my friends kids on when I am in Ontario. It is the Troll series by walking woody. Thought the kids would like "troll hunting". Maybe some Ontario cachers could comment on the series. (GCQBCE is the waypoint for #4 in the series) Seems to be in the Brantford Dundas area.

Ice

Edited by Ice Dragon