Caches Between X And Y Miles...

PetsAllOver

So PQs can query for caches with a given radius of a point (cache, home, LatLon).

However, if I wanted to build myself a local "database" of the caches around my physically large town (Jax, FL, hello 800+ square miles), I'd have to figure out on a map where to place all the various circles to get the overlaps needed to build a grid.

However, if I could generate PQs between X and Y distances from a point, I could start a PQ at the middle of Jacksonville, then slowly expand the circle, querying "within 5 miles", then "between 5 and 7 miles", "between 7 and 8", and so on, until I got all my caches within 30 miles of the center of Jacksonville. Then I could switch to a PQ that ran once a week, reporting all the caches placed within the last 7 days.

Would the logic to generate "between X and Y" be that difficult? As far as the SQL for the actual DB query, it wouldn't be too hard.

There are plenty of other ways to slice and dice the caches up so that each file has unqiue cache data... by cache type, cache size, or my favorite, date hidden. Date hidden is good because the older GPX files tend to remain fairly constant. Markwell posted an excellent complete explanation earlier today, a little further down the page.

So, why wait for something new when one of the other methods works fine for many others?

There are plenty of other ways to slice and dice the caches up so that each file has unqiue cache data... by cache type, cache size, or my favorite, date hidden.  Date hidden is good because the older GPX files tend to remain fairly constant.  Markwell posted an excellent complete explanation earlier today, a little further down the page.

So, why wait for something new when one of the other methods works fine for many others?

Because I don't want to slice up the data into full or micro caches...I want all of the local caches.

In smaller areas, this isn't such a big problem. The NEFGA board shows 2200 caches in northeast Florida, though - too big for a PQ.

Oh... you don't want to slice up the data? Tell me how you can do these donut rings you're asking for, but without slicing.

No matter how you slice it... concentric circles, cache type or date placed... simply merge the files together and view the whole assembled mess. I have a GPX file with nearly 1600 caches that I refer to and update regularly.