Check This Cache Out!

Makes one wonder if it actually "Is" there. I've read some stories where a hider will submit a cache without placing it for a few days just to see people squirm, then place it later down the road. There are only so many places you can hide something in an area.

There have been about 30 teams out there (mine inculded) and many many hours spent searching. We are tying to keep track of the hours spent on this one over in the Midwest Forum under "Shelter Ii". No that many teams will acknowledge the number of hours out there! We have checked the rafters, the tables, the trees, and yes, someone was out there tonight checking the roof. Many, many qualified teams have been out there, but not many have logged DNF's. The problem we are running into now, is that the shelter is reserved all weekend. Unless we get there at 5 am, this weekend is shot.

It's so much fun when a new type of hide arrives in an area that nobody has seen before. I WANT people to find my cache rather than frustrating them. I have gone crazy with some tough hides and found them without any help but that is just me. Make sure someone provides an update when it is found. I have a couple of ideas, don't overlook the "the cache can't be there!!!"

Makes one wonder if it actually "Is" there. I've read some stories where a hider will submit a cache without placing it for a few days just to see people squirm, then place it later down the road. There are only so many places you can hide something in an area.

Yes, but often the number is one more than the number of places you have looked...

I wish I was planning an Indy run before the end of the month, now.

I remember the days of the Northern Edge of Insanity. I'm guessing that even picnicers can't top a rotting racoon only 5 or 10 feet from ground zero and a closed down and possibly haunted psych hospital across the street. Too bad my fifth or sixth visit was after it was gone and then it was painfully obvious. Pretty good for living 300 miles away. This one's almost next door!

That's only about twenty miles from me. I should get out more.

That's it, I'm going over there and show those east siders how to find a cache in a shelter house (I spent about eight hours-4 visits) searching for one like that on the west side. I bet I know where it is. <_<:P:P

So, did you find it?

With regards to this cache. It' been brought up by someone ;) wanting to know why we're writing notes and not DNFs. My comment was that we have reported DNFs...several. How many DNFs do you NEED to list on one place. Wouldn't it be redundant to log more than 3? Is there a higher being keeping track of how many DNFs we have? Does it go against our Geocaching record?

What are your thoughts? :P

Edited by Bad Majec
With regards to this cache. It' been brought up by someone ;) wanting to know why we're writing notes and not DNFs. My comment was that we have reported DNFs...several. How many DNFs do you NEED to list on one place. Wouldn't it be redundant to log more than 3? Is there a higher being keeping track of how many DNFs we have? Does it go against our Geocaching record?

What are your thoughts? :P

If you went to search four times, and logged three DNFs, you forgot to log one.

There's no harm in logging a DNF when you searched and came up empty-handed.... again. :P

With regards to this cache.  It' been brought up by someone ;) wanting to know why we're writing notes and not DNFs.  My comment was that we have reported DNFs...several.  How many DNFs do you NEED to list on one place.  Wouldn't it be redundant to log more than 3? Is there a higher being keeping track of how many DNFs we have? Does it go against our Geocaching record?

What are your thoughts?  :P

If you went to search four times, and logged three DNFs, you forgot to log one.

There's no harm in logging a DNF when you searched and came up empty-handed.... again. :P

Then there should be no harm in posting a note with the fact that you DIDN'T find the cache too....right? Someone needs to write a book on proper Geocaching etiquette I see.... :P

Edited by Bad Majec
Then there should be no harm in posting a note with the fact that you DIDN'T find the cache too....right? Someone needs to write a book on proper Geocaching etiquette I see.... ;)

When you FIND the cache, do you log a note? No. You log a FOUND IT.

When you DON'T FIND the cache, do you log a note? No. You log a DIDN'T FIND IT.

Notes are for other things, such as owner visits, dropping a TB, etc. (tons of things that can be done with a note). But the log for Found It or Didn't Find It are pretty self-explanitory and limited in their use.

That's just my opinion though, the cool thing about geocaching is being able to play it the way you want, within reason. Does it hurt anything to log a note vs a DNF? Absolutely not. But when you search for a cache and don't sign the log, that's a DNF.

As long as you're having fun, that's all that matters.

:P

Archan Posted on Oct 9 2005, 07:44 AM

wow. that looks crazy. there are so many places to hide it. i would need to go there if i lived near there. 

NO!! STAY AWAY!! It will suck you in and you will never be free! Each day it calls to you..."COME! Come and seek...never to find"

I'm watching this cache (from pretty far away<sigh>) and I got a found it email on the weekend, but when I checked the page today, it looks like it has been retracted?

Maybe it's one of those nasty things (not that <ahem> I've ever done this (well, ok, maybe once or twice.. uhh, No three times... yeah...) where everyone is looking, someone finds it, but keeps it hush hush. Days go by.. Finally the 2nd finder stumbles upon it! Rips open the logbook expecting to find that fresh white empty page but then.. instead, staring back at them..

"SUCKER!!!!!!!!!

I found it already, ble bla ble... "

No one would do THAT would they?

As I understand it, (and I could be wrong) Doobies didn't find the cache, he found the FTF 'prize'. The actual cache is too small for the FTF prize, which is evidently just a paper with a designed stamp from the cache hider. The coords for that prize are supposedly in the Shelter II cache, but Doobies found it while seeking the cache.

Wonder if he'll give it up to the real FTFinder.

Like many others I too have been watching the logs and have been greatly entertained. And like others I have been tempted to make the trip out there and look around myself, which wouldn't be out of the question since my son lives in Noblesville, IN anyway.

But, as I continue watching the logs this cache seems to be more and more dubious. I am starting to go along with another member of our local forum in the thinking that it (its physical existence and location) and should be verified by the area approver.

The cache is either brilliant or "somewhat" of a hoax.

A cache that has this many DNFs, should be a 5. I dunno what the 4.5 is for..... I am along the same lines however, it's either not there and this whole thing is a sham. Or it is there and everyone is in on the joke. Remember "It's not about the numbers" It could very well be that the logging requirement is not to log a FIND, but only a NOTE stating you didn't find it.

A cache that has this many DNFs, should be a 5. I dunno what the 4.5 is for..... I am along the same lines however, it's either not there and this whole thing is a sham. Or it is there and everyone is in on the joke. Remember "It's not about the numbers" It could very well be that the logging requirement is not to log a FIND, but only a NOTE stating you didn't find it.

Yeah, a "liar's cache". Although there is one thing he could have done... maybe I should do it here, just to see if it gets the same reaction. People might hate me though. *I* would hate me. Hmmmm.... how evil should I be? :unsure:

Wow, I'll definitely have to keep an eye on that one - dying to know where people haven't looked! :P I'm picturing a mob tossing picnic tables, while innocent parkgoers gawk at the spectacle...

Another evil idea would be to impersonate a muggle :unsure: Set up a nice leisurely pinic on, say, the 14th... Too bad I live so far away! :ph34r:

Edited by Team WorldPeaceTurtle

For those of you who are wondering about the whereabouts of the cache and whether or not it is physically at the coords. Here is a log from the page that you may have not read.

October 5 by IndyMagicMan (1103 found)

Here are the guidelines for a traditional cache: (visit link)

I’m saying it again for the last time. There is a cache there. The cache does contain a log to sign per the guidelines. The coords are for the location of the cache. I have told a few people via e-mail so I’ll state it here. I took three readings on my GPSr, averaged them, and rechecked them. I found the coords to be very good; well within the accuracy any experienced geocacher would expect.

I have not been caching for 2+ years, 1000+ legit finds, and placing many hides to blow it all on some big devious trick. Sorry guys, but the ‘if the cache is there’ type logs are personally insulting as they call my integrity in to question, and are starting to get me.

I have a lot of respect for the skill of many of the seekers of this, and to be honest am baffled that you have not found it yet with the time you’ve put in. It is a challenging hide, though. I’ll stop now before I let a hint slip. If it’s stressing you out, take a break. We do this for fun, right?

Then there should be no harm in posting a note with the fact that you DIDN'T find the cache too....right? Someone needs to write a book on proper Geocaching etiquette I see.... :P

When you FIND the cache, do you log a note? No. You log a FOUND IT.

When you DON'T FIND the cache, do you log a note? No. You log a DIDN'T FIND IT.

Exactly! When the first entry I saw was a note and not a DNF I was a little put off. Unless this is indeed a "liar's cache" as has been suggested, people aren't using the DNF correctly. Are they embarrassed that they didn't find it and don't like to see that frowny face staring at them over and over? While I don't like being unable to find a cache I log my DNFs.

Robert has it right - unless you are in the habit of logging notes when you FIND a cache, don't make it a habit of logging notes when you DO NOT FIND a cache.

And in answer to Bad Majec, you are right that DNFs do not count against your record... all the more reason to log them. Perhaps if the DID count against you there would be a better reason to use a note instead of a DNF.

If only I were closer to this particular cache I would be out there searching. Only two years ago I might have been able to make it as I was living in Indiana then. Who knows when my next visit to Indiana will be. I'd probably have 3 or 4 DNFs logged for it by now by the looks of it. :P

By the by, if I were IndyMagicMan I wouldn't add a hint to the cache until after the FTF. Make one person find this thing before giving them any more help... Maybe if I were actually there looking for the thing I wouldn't feel the same, though. :P

For those of you who are wondering about the whereabouts of the cache and whether or not it is physically at the coords. Here is a log from the page that you may have not read.

October 5 by IndyMagicMan (1103 found)

Here are the guidelines for a traditional cache: (visit link)

I’m saying it again for the last time. There is a cache there. The cache does contain a log to sign per the guidelines. The coords are for the location of the cache. I have told a few people via e-mail so I’ll state it here. I took three readings on my GPSr, averaged them, and rechecked them. I found the coords to be very good; well within the accuracy any experienced geocacher would expect.

I have not been caching for 2+ years, 1000+ legit finds, and placing many hides to blow it all on some big devious trick. Sorry guys, but the ‘if the cache is there’ type logs are personally insulting as they call my integrity in to question, and are starting to get me.

I have a lot of respect for the skill of many of the seekers of this, and to be honest am baffled that you have not found it yet with the time you’ve put in. It is a challenging hide, though. I’ll stop now before I let a hint slip. If it’s stressing you out, take a break. We do this for fun, right?

Thanks for posting this, I had not seen it and it does help clear some things up for me. My faith is beginning to be restored :P

this may be a dumb question, but how are all these TB's hidden here?

They are not actually "hidden" there. There is such a large group of cachers meeting together this evening to hunt the cache as a group that they will be able to exchange travel bugs - sort of a "non-event" event.

Mrs. Car54