Rude Logs

Perhaps a well worded e-mail welcoming them to the sport/hobby/pastime/obsession...

Yep, I did that as it was one of my caches which they came across which got them interested in the sport in the first place* I've also offered to take them caching with some like-minded friends to show them some of the subtle arts of the hobby, as well as educate them to some of the etiquette. Thus far, my email has gone unanswered.

SP

*Always assuming it's not a 'sock-puppet or e-muggle having some fun with us' situation.

I didn't chuckle reading the logs of another Caching-family that have resulted in a long-time Cacher and contributor archiving one of his recently :ph34r:

... think he's changed his user name as well :lol::D

Yes, noticed that too. Not sure if that was related.

From the archive log-entry, sounds like he's been getting a lot of stick recently relating to his Caches, which is sad considering the contribution he has made round the Bucks area over the years and the enjoyment we've had in doing his/their Caches.

Perhaps a well worded e-mail welcoming them to the sport/hobby/pastime/obsession...

Yep, I did that as it was one of my caches which they came across which got them interested in the sport in the first place* I've also offered to take them caching with some like-minded friends to show them some of the subtle arts of the hobby, as well as educate them to some of the etiquette. Thus far, my email has gone unanswered.

SP

*Always assuming it's not a 'sock-puppet or e-muggle having some fun with us' situation.

That's a shame.

I'm sure this person could learn very much from all your Caching knowledge SP.

I too was wondering if perhaps they were yanking our collective chain :ph34r:

Your comments have got me thinking: I very rarely put negative things in a log, unless I think there is a real problem with it. In fact, I can only remember having done this once - for this cache.

We think they are nice owners of cache . They also amended the cache hint after corresponding with us ,in a friendly manner , about our d.n.f. posting .

I agree, the owners of the Zig Zag cache are very friendly. They responded positively to our comments, and amended the cache page accordingly. We also exchanged some friendly emails with them.

If you remember, I also made some changes to one of our own pages after you emailed me. This was because you did it in a friendly, polite way. I have to admit, I'd think twice about making amendments if someone had made deliberately nasty, or rude, comments which weren't constructive.

I have a Members only cache called Garven which I'm all to happy for people to be rude about, as it sums up my feelings of where I work. It has been called pointless, but that is work a pointless evil which gets in the way of caching <_<

Milton (aka moote)

I wish someone would put me out of my misery and point me in the direction of said log  <_<

GSAK is your friend :P

But even without it, the log is even visible from way over here...

I also am slightly suspicious of the character in question - especially of remarks like:

"We are still unsure of what to do when a cache is found, "

Too disingenuous by half, that is.

-Wlw.

Okay,

Knights who say Ni obviously guessed the 'family' cachers as well as the 'single' cacher (with dog).

The single 'rude' cacher made me laugh extremely loud when I read this Log:

".. Lovely as the walk was we got very tired and wished that you had put more thought towards poor geocachers legs! I would rank this in my favourite 10 geocaches so far from the 6 I have found... Thanks, Le.."

Must be one of the three types of people in the world today: those who can count and those who can't!

Oss!

Of course, there is a message to all those cachers who deem it necessary to harshly criticise other ppl's caches:

"If you don't like them - don't do them!

At the end of the day, a polite log about your experience is usually okay. Anything further can be done via email - again politely.

I know from personal experience that if I receive an email like that, there is more chance of me

i) Reading it all the way through

ii) Doing something about it

iii) Responding to the email.

If not, you will more than likely receive one or more of the following:

i) Ignoring your email completely

ii) Reply in the same manner and start an email war

iii) Publicly name and shame the offender

iv) Delete ALL logs by the offenders in any of my caches.

Petty? Childish? Maybe! but they started it!

<_<

Edited by Sensei TSKC
Theres a local newbie around here leaving rude logs......eithier a newbie OR a darned sock puppet

I was just wondering why a sock used for a puppet would need to be darned. Overuse of sock resulting in holes?

*groan*

Back on topic: I try to write only positive logs. However, I sometimes then follow up with a (polite) e-mail to the owner, along the lines of "your cache was fun, but could perhaps have been *even better* if...". But I try to avoid criticising the cache in the log, as the owner knows that a lot of people (starting with the watchlist) will have seen it.

".. Lovely as the walk was we got very tired and wished that you had put more thought towards poor geocachers legs! I would rank this in my favourite 10 geocaches so far from the 6 I have found...

Now, you see, I read that as what I'd call 'acerbic humour' rather than a maths mistake. Perhaps it's because I tend to think the best of people- and sometimes pay the price for it; Disappointment.

Having read all of this cacher's logs, one has to wonder quite what's going on. My favourite was this (now deleted) log on a puzzle cache:

"Log Date: 10/6/2005

I visited this cache today whilst walking Kipper my dog and caching companion. We parked at the coordinates but could no find a cache any where. This is the second experience that I have had like this in the past two days. I don't agree that not having a cache where you say there is one is fair, you owe m[e] and kipper a drink some time."

A fair mistake you could make once, but it does sound like they'd already been told where they'd gone wrong with puzzle caches. <_<

SP

I have a Members only cache called Garven which I'm all to happy for people to be rude about, as it sums up my feelings of where I work. It has been called pointless, but that is work a pointless evil which gets in the way of caching :laughing:

Milton (aka moote)

ahhh Milton, NOW I understand the cache!!!!!

I could put one by our office and relish it getting muggled every day by the local hooligans!!!!!

".. Lovely as the walk was we got very tired and wished that you had put more thought towards poor geocachers legs! I would rank this in my favourite 10 geocaches so far from the 6 I have found...

Now, you see, I read that as what I'd call 'acerbic humour' rather than a maths mistake. Perhaps it's because I tend to think the best of people- and sometimes pay the price for it; Disappointment.

Having read all of this cacher's logs, one has to wonder quite what's going on. My favourite was this (now deleted) log on a puzzle cache:

"Log Date: 10/6/2005

I visited this cache today whilst walking Kipper my dog and caching companion. We parked at the coordinates but could no find a cache any where. This is the second experience that I have had like this in the past two days. I don't agree that not having a cache where you say there is one is fair, you owe m[e] and kipper a drink some time."

A fair mistake you could make once, but it does sound like they'd already been told where they'd gone wrong with puzzle caches. :laughing:

SP

The mind Boggles!

I'm sure she'll soon get the hang of things and be another great contributor, or perhaps eventually go away disillusioned. I sincerely hope the former.

Edited by The Knights who say Ni

As this new cacher has obviously rattled some cages by their "straightforward" comments on their cache logs I've been in private contact with them.

Let me assure you that they are enjoying the game and are only stating their thoughts regarding the caches as they see them. No disrespect is intended. From our correspondence I feel confident they will be making a definite contribution to the sport over the next couple of months. They are also hoping to meet some fellow cachers soon.

While they would prefer to remain reasonably in the background for now I feel quite comfortable vouching for them. :laughing:

I have a Members only cache called Garven which I'm all to happy for people to be rude about, as it sums up my feelings of where I work.  It has been called pointless, but that is work a pointless evil which gets in the way of caching :laughing:

Milton (aka moote)

ahhh Milton, NOW I understand the cache!!!!!

I could put one by our office and relish it getting muggled every day by the local hooligans!!!!!

Well after a comment by 3 TP officers at work I guess you know who I work for also :laughing:

Normally the best response to threads of this nature is to ignore them and hope that those involved grow tired and seek amusement elsewhere. However, since some of you seem determined to keep the thread going, and as it's causing distress to Steph, we feel obliged to respond to this thinly-veiled criticism of us.

This thread started by suggesting that some matters are better dealt with by email rather than in logs for all to see, and encouraged us to remember that there's a person on the receiving end. How ironic that the thread then descends into public vilification. Does the word "hypocrisy" mean anything to you?

At least you know that we read this forum, so we could respond if we chose to. The other person you've decided to publicly hang probably doesn't even read this forum, so she has had no opportunity to defend herself. And even if she had, do not the rules of this forum prohibit ad-hominem remarks? Is that why none of the critics have had the courage to name your targets?

You may not agree with our decision to request that "Nuclear Bunker" be archived, but we stand by it. The reason why is in our logs. Geocaching is not a licence to trespass or damage other people's property, nor should cache owners encourage these. The response to our SBA was in the hands of the owner. Dan could have chosen to move the cache somewhere close by; he could have chosen to ignore our SBA, in which case the reviewers would have decided what to do. The end result might well have been that no action was taken. That's fine with us: we met our responsibility to the hobby by reporting a cache that is likely to bring the hobby into disrepute.

Our 900+ logs reflect our experience of the hunt. They are always factual and, we hope, polite. Unlike many logs we see we always take the trouble to thank the owner for placing the cache. We enjoy this hobby greatly and this thread has caused us great sadness over the last few days. If that was the intention of our critics, well done, you got what you wanted. Now go back and re-read the thread and see how you might employ your own suggestions.

Oh'er !

We've got a problem or two. We couldn't see anything rude about The White Familie' online log and note on Nuclear Bunker cache .

Very responsible attitude we thought .

And good response from cache owner in not deleting an unfavourable log ,which we gather does sometimes happen .

I have a Members only cache called Garven which I'm all to happy for people to be rude about, as it sums up my feelings of where I work.  It has been called pointless, but that is work a pointless evil which gets in the way of caching :ph34r:

Milton (aka moote)

If that was the intension of the cache then I guess it,s ok :ph34r:

as it would mean you have success in your cache set and got the point (lessness) of Garven across . :ph34r::ph34r:

The White Family's log looked OK to me- I have posted similar ones where the cache was placed the wrong side of a fence. Having said that it is a real shame that the cache has been archived as it looks very interesting historically. Wouldn't it be a nice outcome if the owners of the land could be found, the brambles cleared away and the cache unarchived. Isn't there a WW2 historical appreciation society that could help?

As a newby myself, i feel everyone has very good view on these pages. see thats the thing, these are all peoples personal views. People can write want they feel about caches as long as they dont use spitefull words or let clues of caches away. as a newby who has only done twenty odd caches and only placed one alongside Ben Pid. i feel i have the right to say if i dont lie a cache. i very recently have slated a cache, its my view, i stated i have done better.

to say if u dont like them then dont do them is very harsh as u dont know if u like them till u complete them.

to be fair everyone will find a number of caches they dont like as everyone does caching for different reasons. i personally love caching for the walking and the find. the only cache i slated big time was a random walk but because the last (resting place) of the multi cache was somewhere rubbish, i just felt disaapointed, but as i saw loads of great place to hide the cache elsewhere i was angry so slated it as i was cross. it does not mean other cachers wont enjoy it but at the end of the day

ITS MY VIEW thats all

SMILE

<_<

LOL

sorry i rambel

LOL