First Find

The Source

We just got started in GEOCACHING last month after lurking around this site for about a year. I started out with 2 DNF's

This week I was taking my son to soccer practice and I knew there was a CACHE in the park he has practice in. So we get the palm out and look for Fisherman's Swap, I get the GPS out and pull in and park right near the cache. the hint was a GREAT HINT it helped. So me and my son start squeezin between trees and weeds and walking the edge of a creek and try not to fall in. I get to where the GPS says we are standing on the CACHE and I tell my son now look for something that just doesnt look right and he points down right in front of me. I look down and move some stuff and there it is our first find in a ammo box. My son was so excited Im glad we got there before soccer practice cause he let out a yell everyone woulda herd. So we signed the log and left something and took something and now my son is hooked.

J

Welcome to the group. My favorite part of geocaching is it give my daughter and I something to do together. She's only 4 but can already follow the GPS pretty well. I'm also using the opportunity to teach her about the outdoors. She can identify several animals now by their tracks and sign and can point out poison ivy from several yards away. Glad you found us and Happy Caching!!! :unsure:

Yes, welcome and congrats on your first find. Ammo boxes are great.

One of the key things to Geocaching is just focus on your successes, not

your failures. As time goes on, you will get better and better at finding

them and your DNF rate will go down.

Don't ever forget that even the cachers with big numbers still have DNF's

for various reasons.

KEEP ON CACHING!

We just got started in GEOCACHING last month after lurking around this site for about a year. I started out with 2 DNF's

This week I was taking my son to soccer practice and I knew there was a CACHE in the park he has practice in. So we get the palm out and look for Fisherman's Swap, I get the GPS out and pull in and park right near the cache. the hint was a GREAT HINT it helped. So me and my son start squeezin between trees and weeds and walking the edge of a creek and try not to fall in. I get to where the GPS says we are standing on the CACHE and I tell my son now look for something that just doesnt look right and he points down right in front of me. I look down and move some stuff and there it is our first find in a ammo box. My son was so excited Im glad we got there before soccer practice cause he let out a yell everyone woulda herd. So we signed the log and left something and took something and now my son is hooked.

J

Read alot of your local cache pages. I'm sure there are more caches that are suitable for you and him to do together.

This is great for family time together. Kids and parents alike all have a blast caching!

Welcome to the sport!

Me and my 5 year old son just found our first one this afternoon, just about 1/2 mile from our house. Lots of fun, and a good way to get out of the house, and do something together. He (and I) are both looking foreward to the next hunt. ;)

Until about 1 week ago, I had never even looked at or used a GPS unit, now I'm hooked, I don't leave home without it!