Oregon/washington Cachers

Muggermots

This is slightly off-topic, but you guys are the best resource I know for "what is where" out in the NW forests, and so I'm asking in hopes that someone recognizes it.

I'm thinking Mt. Hood to Portland area, perhaps. Perhaps somewhere reachable by driving south on Hwy 35 and then around the mountain on Hwy 26 to the Portland area, but really, anyplace within 2-3 hours of Portland would be reasonable, and I'd like to hear about anywhere in the Northwest that you feel really, really fits this description, limited though it is.

There's a lake there, and a dock. The dock is square, or nearly so. That's important. Not sure what material the dock is made of, I think wood, but might be metal or something else. The road either goes right up to the lake, or fairly close. Even if it's not really road, it's hard packed dirt or something sturdy enough for a vehicle to get fairly close to the water and the dock. The dock is right next to the land, not floating out in the middle, like something you'd swim to.

There are hills fairly nearby, and there are trees, though not right up against the lake at point I'm talking about. Not sure if they're everygreen or deciduous or both, sorry, can't remember. I think the hills are mostly evergreen. Across the lake from the vantage of the road, part of the hillside is bare. It's rock, I think. Those falling sharp-edged kind of lightish-grey ones.

The lake seems to bend off the left, as it moves behind a spit of land. I don't remember seeing a mountain from where I'm standing.

It might be out on 4x4 only roads, or might be closer to populated areas. Either way, it has an isolated, abandoned feel to it. Especially in October or November.

And now I'm going to post this, and go away, and hope someone reads it and knows where it is, so they can tell me and I can go look at it, and say, yup, that's it, now, lake place, would you please stop driving me crazy with trying to figure out where you are??

The existence of a dock is the big limiter... the only place I'm coming up with is Robbins Lake in Mason county on the east side of Hood Canal. The bare dirt public access area is on one side of the lake, and the BSA's Camp Hahobas, with a wooden square dock, is on the other. The lake is kind of kidney shaped.

This is 3:20 away from Portland, though, so I'm guessing it's not what you're looking for. A Google image search for Hahobas will return a lot of photos which -- I'm guessing -- will show you that it's not what you're looking for.

The lake is at N 47.42806°, W 123.08060°

Good luck. These kind of odd memories of places tend to drive me nuts for a long, long time (like me trying to find a copy of The Archie's Love Vibrations for more than 25 years. Praise be to Kazaa.).

There's several lakes around that area. Lost Lake is back in the mountains behind Hood River. Badger Lake is remote and down a steep road to get there, don't remember a dock there, but could be one. Trillium Lake is just past Government Camp on Hyw 26, trying to picture a dock there. Clear Lake is a bit farther, I believe there was a dock there. Frog Lake has a road around the right side, to the old camp grounds. I don't remember about a dock.

I'm assuming that you're talking about a memory from a few years ago. There's been some changes in many of these places.

There's just too many lakes I guess. I've been to most of them but can't quite picture one as described.

Hmmmm....

I'll give it more thought.

Byron

I should have said, Lost Lake is the only one I'm sure it isn't. I'm too familiar with that area for it to be the right one, and it isn't really the right layout of road and lake... at least from what I remember. When you first drive up to the lake there, you're coming up to it perpendicular to the shoreline, and what I'm remembering, there is a part of the lake straight ahead, and yet part of it almost parallel to the road in the area where the dock is. And there's just no docks like that.

Yes, this is bugging the daylights out of me. You have that one right on the money.

For some reason, the dock is what sticks in my head. It seems odd to me too, to have a dock, expecially a square one, like that, but it seems right. I hope I'm not mixing up two places into one.

Foggy memory wants to say there at one time there was a square dock at Frog Lake. But it foggy. That was before the campground at the north end of the lake. I don't remember if you could come directly to the lake through what is now a camp ground. The road does continue to the right along the lake to what was the campground. Across from the road is a rocky area that comes down to the lake or close to the lake. Except in early spring the trees don't come to lakes edge, then because the lake is so high it gets up the trees.

That's about the only one I can think of at this time.