Attn: Golden Horseshoe Cachers.....

JCG

Just had a quick question for those of you who do some hunts in the Niagara Falls/Niagara Gorge area. My girlfriend and I want to hide our first cache, and we found the perfect spot. It's downriver of the Queenston/Lewiston bridge, in the gorge just off a trail. My question is: Is it alright to put it there, or do I have to get permission first....we're not sure if that land is considered public or private. We know that upriver past the bridge is owned by the hydro company, but we're not sure about downriver. Thanks for the help, just wanted to make sure we didn't make a mistake on our first cache!

J.C.

I would suggest that you find a few caches first, to get a feel for how the hobby works.

And make sure there are none near where you want to place one.

Read the help files on Geocaching.com, and if you like on our site The Ontario Geocaching Association

Right now, any lands along the Niagara River are with the Niagara Parks Commission, but they have not decided on any policy regarding Geocaches.

The gentleman that OGA has talked with, and the others there, enjoy Geocaching and like what they have seen.

I say.. go ahead. There are a few caches, even a fairly new one.... so go ahead as long as your spot is more than 161 meters from any existing cache.

If NPC has any concerns... they will contact me, and we can use it to hopefully continue our talks. They are busy right now, but also waiting for their lawyer to finish with it.

Again, NPC contacts we have like, enjoy and see the benefits of Geocaching.

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

Edited by The Blue Quasar

It's good to hear that they think the sport is a good idea, it's definately a huge step forward to having 100% support. We're going out a few times this week to find some caches along the bruce trail and some others in the area, and get a feel for it like you suggested. The spot we are thinking about is a favourite of ours and I wanted to make sure that we weren't going to waste time planning and making a cache only to find out we can't put one there. Thanks a lot for the information, I look forward to becoming involved in this sport and with the people in the area!

J.C.

I agree with BQ... go out and find a bunch first before placing your first one. Although there is a certain satisfaction in having cachers find your hide (especialally if it's creative and difficult), it is invaluable experience to be out there and find things on your own.

The more you find, the more you'll think about how you want to design yours. To be honest, I personally think there are WAY to many tupperwares in tree trunks out there already!

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by charliezulu