Washington Delorme Challenge

Moun10Bike

I hope that everyone is having as much fun with this as I am!

I'm having a great time with the challenge. I just finished the Olympic run with Mr. Gadget #2 today. We started yesterday in Olympia at 6:00 AM. I thought with leaving that early we'd be back by dark. But dark caught us just south of Forks and we still had 3 or 4 more pages to complete. We found two caches in the dark on pages 76 and 60 and called it quits for the day, and finished the remaining pages today. I finished the southwest pages on Thursday so now the west side is complete (except for page 107). Saw a bald eagle, the ocean, deer, a historical fort, smelled a skunk. saw lots of neat scenery and saw the largest Sitka spruce tree in the world. Looking forward to my next Delorme run.

By the way, if anyone is planning a run around the Olympic peninsula, I highly recommend Sitka Surprise, the largest Sitka Spruce tree in the world. A definite must see. The roots appear to be larger than most full grown trees. It's on Page 60 of the Delorme map.

Edited by The Navigatorz

I made it back late Friday night and from my count I have only 3 pages left. 107-109 Hopefully I haven't missed any pages in E.WA, but that is all done. I went out on another trip this week to finish up the pages I missed in E.WA and the 2 that had caches denied.

Enjoyed doing some of the caches that you and Mr Gadget did out on the coast. Nylunds Grave and Moving Time virtuals were cool. Had a heard of elk on the grass in front of the ranger station on the way to Moving Time. Nice 5x5 bull was standing there.

My second trip out and I'm amazed at the awesome country I've seen the past 2 weeks. I've been very lucky with the weather. Out of 10 days of caching I only had one nasty day of rain and that was friday on the way home. I've put about 2500 miles on my Honda, so it's been a long haul.

Minor panic when I saw that I hadn't colored off page 33 when I was about 50 miles west of that page. I did that one on my first trip, so a big sigh of relief. All in all an incredible experience that has been one of my geocaching highlites so far.

Edited by GeoRoo

I see there is a new change as of today that cache hides would no longer be allowed???? I'm wondering what brought this about? Too many negative comments about lame caches? If those throwing rocks are out actively doing this challenge then they would not be complaining. Get out in the SE part of E.WA and drive 150 miles for a cache and you will be thanking the few that were put out. What's going to happen to page 90 and 76 when the Virtuals are migrated to the Waymarking site???

It's nice to know you've driven 500 miles in a couple days and the one cache on that page is missing and you have the option to place a cache. There are a number of pages that will be unreachable now that it is snowing in the mountains. Additional caches will have to be placed or the WDC will be undoable till late spring.

This change won't affect me, but will certainly lengthen out anyone elses quest. I know it's M10Bikes cache and perogitive to do what he sees fit. I see the Barnbirdy's are out on the road now. Hope they didn't place any caches!......:ph34r:

Patudles and I are having fun following other people around who are doing the challenge. This weekend we were following Ruck (assuming he is doing it) and Barnabirdys. On one of the caches that the Birdys did, they wrote after their log, "Hi Patudles!" We had a good laugh over that one. :ph34r:

Patudles and I are having fun following other people around who are doing the challenge.  This weekend we were following Ruck (assuming he is doing it) and Barnabirdys.  On one of the caches that the Birdys did, they wrote after their log, "Hi Patudles!"  We had a good laugh over that one.  <_<

I too was having a blast playing leapfrog with Ambrosia, Patudles, Ruck, and the Barnabirdy(s) over the weekend. Funny how attending a cross-state Halloween event/WSGA board meeting turned into a 2,000 kilometre jaunt around the state in a 4-day weekend :ph34r:

I thought I had seen most of Washington during the 30 years I lived there, but this weekend's travels showed me places and views I had never seen -- an eagle soaring over the Snake River, a northern lake ringed with brilliant golden aspen under a deep blue sky, long shadows falling over the rolling hills of the Palouse, a forgotten cemetery on a windswept knoll where the views went on forever, scrambling over huge granite slabs and fresh snow at Washington Pass in the twilight...

This cache really is a personal challenge that I will count as one of the highlights of my geocaching career. I picked up 24 new quadrants this weekend, bringing my total to 66. I can't wait to see the rest of what Washington has to offer!

I see there is a new change as of today that cache hides would no longer be allowed????  I'm wondering what brought this about?

As an admin, I see things that the rest of you do not. I don't have any real problems with the caches that have been approved so far, as they have opened the game up to being completed, and to being completed by people of all abilities. I do, however, have issues with a slew of caches that have been rejected so far (and I'm not talking about the Indian Reservation caches - not everyone is aware that caches on reservations are not allowed without express permission).

The problem is that it was obvious that the Challenge was leading to caches that, while following the letter of the guidelines, were missing the spirit of the guidelines by a wide mark. For example, I do not think it is right to to place a cache 200 miles from any place you have ever cached before simply (and that you have no intention of ever returning) simply because the other caches on that page do not happen to fall on the route that you want to drive that day, even if (usually well after the placement and in a frantic rush) you find someone local who agrees that they will watch it for you.

What's going to happen to page 90 and 76 when the Virtuals are migrated to the Waymarking site???

Where did you get the idea that this is going to happen? This is the fate of locationless caches, but Jeremy has made no such decision about virtuals. Even if it were to happen in the future, the Challenge would simply adapt as it has so far.

Edited by Moun10Bike

What's going to happen to page 90 and 76 when the Virtuals are migrated to the Waymarking site???

Where did you get the idea that this is going to happen? This is the fate of locationless caches, but Jeremy has made no such decision about virtuals. Even if it were to happen in the future, the Challenge would simply adapt as it has so far.

I was under the impression that virtuals were all going to the Waymarking site. The numerous posts in the Waymarking threads seem to indicate that Jeremy has already stated his intentions with virtuals. I've enjoyed all the virtuals I've done and hope they stay. The 4 I did this past week were all excellent.

I'm sure caches will be placed and the WDC will adapt. I know I've been part of the problem. It's cost me at least an extra 500 miles of driving, so I didn't get off too easy. The timing of the cache may have contributed to the rush. I know I was only planning of grabbing the snowed in pages and then do the rest at my leisure.

I see on the news that the snow is starting to pile up on the higher passes and they are predicting 2 feet by this weekend. Page 112 is going fast.....<_<

I see they have a new My Finds section on the PQ's. I haven't been able to run a dated PQ for my finds for 2 days, so I've had to wait till they iron out the bugs. I did a full finds PQ, so guess I'll mess with that on GSAK. Now if they could get a directional feature to the PQ and up the 5 PQs in one day to something like 20 I'd die a happy man........:ph34r:

Patudles and I are having fun following other people around who are doing the challenge.  This weekend we were following Ruck (assuming he is doing it) and Barnabirdys.  On one of the caches that the Birdys did, they wrote after their log, "Hi Patudles!"  We had a good laugh over that one.  :huh:

I too was having a blast playing leapfrog with Ambrosia, Patudles, Ruck, and the Barnabirdy(s) over the weekend. Funny how attending a cross-state Halloween event/WSGA board meeting turned into a 2,000 kilometre jaunt around the state in a 4-day weekend B)

I thought I had seen most of Washington during the 30 years I lived there, but this weekend's travels showed me places and views I had never seen -- an eagle soaring over the Snake River, a northern lake ringed with brilliant golden aspen under a deep blue sky, long shadows falling over the rolling hills of the Palouse, a forgotten cemetery on a windswept knoll where the views went on forever, scrambling over huge granite slabs and fresh snow at Washington Pass in the twilight...

This cache really is a personal challenge that I will count as one of the highlights of my geocaching career. I picked up 24 new quadrants this weekend, bringing my total to 66. I can't wait to see the rest of what Washington has to offer!

Ditto. :huh:B)

I might also mention here, that the pocket query page now allows you to get a gpx file of all your finds.

It does include caches outside the state, but I think M10B is taking those out when he updates the map.

How do you get them all if you have more finds than will fit in one PQ? I assume you still have to do archived caches individually?

All my caches came through and I'm over 500, so that limit is not a problem. The archived ones came through also. At least I think they did. When I opened up the file in GSAK they were all there. I'm still muddling through GSAK, so I'm lost when it comes to that program. I tried to run some filters and I see I need more time with GSAK.......:huh:

I have found over 1000 caches, and it won't let me enter more than 3 digits for the caches I want it to show me.

I don't think I'm going about it the right way.

Check the bottom of the PQ setup page. There is a new option to download a special PQ of all finds (archived or not). It only returns your log for the cache, so you can't really use it to update cache log data, but you can get a list of every cache you've found. It can only be run every seven day - manually, you can't schedule it.

There may or may not be a minor problem with archived/deleted logs showing up.

Errrr...Ummmm...the My Finds section I see on the Pocket Query page doesn't allow you to set any parameters (see below)...you just press a button and "poof", it's delivered.  B)

Got to love the highly technical "poof" descriptions used.

The wonders of the internet revealed :anibad:

As a professional magician, I can state that what happens in the electronic world is more amazing than any 'magic' I do - so 'poof' is very appropriate. B)

The Birdy(s) are safely back in the nest. 1240 miles, 94 caches, 19 grids, 6 days and one fun evening caching party. And no, Roo, zero hides. :) .

We ran the new finds PQ, quite amazing. Dumped it into a new GSAK database and it had ALL our finds, even back to the early days and caches found on the east coast and B.C. Only the DNF's were missing, but who needs to be reminded of those :) K&A

The Birdy(s) are safely back in the nest. 1240 miles, 94 caches, 19 grids, 6 days and one fun evening caching party. And no, Roo, zero hides. :D .

We ran the new finds PQ, quite amazing. Dumped it into a new GSAK database and it had ALL our finds, even back to the early days and caches found on the east coast and B.C. Only the DNF's were missing, but who needs to be reminded of those :D K&A

Glad to hear you are back safe and sound. :D

It was a pleasure meeting both of you (and your daughter) at the Pizza Meeting.

Glad we could get to a quieter corner that night and chat!

Congrats on all your finds!

We had been planning to put a new hide in grid 112 which would be accessible during the winter. Highway 20 is actually kept plowed for a few miles into 112 from the east for use by snowmobiliers and skiers. We went up yesterday and sad to report we could not find a place to put the cache :lol: . The snow is already up to your (well you get the idea), and any place a cache was put would become an unpredictable exercise in floundering and digging in the snow. We know wet siders would not appreciate this so 112 remains unreachable without a snowmobile. Sorry.

Barnabirdy(s)

The Barnabirdy(s) informed me of an article in the Methow Valley News that says that the Washington Pass overlook will remain closed for an undetermined time due to toilet problems. Here is a link.

The Washington Pass Cache is probably the most popular cache on DeLorme Page 112 and very worthwhile even with the slightly longer walk!

I wondered why such a nice new-looking facility was closed during prime tourist season! Very disappointing!

The Washington Pass Cache is definitely well worth the additional walk. Awesome view.

Slightly off topic perhaps but I am setting up a new DeLorme travel bug.

I own the actual Northern California DeLorme map book that inspired Hiacoole to post the original DeLorme cache: (California DeLorme Challenge). I showed it to her at an event a few years ago and she got quite excited about it. She must have had a period of time after that where she had no adult supervision and was left to her own devices - she came up with this crazy idea. Now her cache has apparently inspired many other states to start DeLorme caches.

I am going to drill a hole through the top left corner of my DeLorme and attach a travel bug tag to it. Then, over the next several years, perhaps decade, I am going to find people who own or log finds for DeLorme caches and have them sign the book and log the tb. Logging a find on a DeLorme or being the cache owner will be the qualifier for logging the tb. The book will not travel on its own, it will always be in my possession. This will a be very slow project and I have no intention of getting all the DeLorme caches represented, I'm mainly thinking about the western states. I'll search out Washington DeLorme Challenge finders after June 2007 when we move to Olympia.

I have decided to make a run to the North East section of the state to get some of the pages that I will probably never get to otherwise.

I plan on heading up to the WSGA campout Thursday night the 10th of August and getting up early the 11th and heading out. The plan will be to get a minimum of pages 101 to 105 and 115 to 119. Maybe a few more if it is convenient. I hope to be back to the campout by 5ish since that is when those who are doing the Lady of the Lake trip will be getting back.

Anyone else is welcome to join me.

There does not seem to be as much interest in doing the ODC as there is in the WDC. Better advertisement I think.

Logscaler.

Maybe it's because it's harder to do the Oregon Delorme Challenge because you have to go by the printed maps instead of throwing a bookmark pocket query into a grid file. :rolleyes: You should talk Moun10bike into doing the Garmin MapSource grids for the Oregon DeLorme Challenge too. I know I would appreciate a grid file for Oregon.

There does not seem to be as much interest in doing the ODC as there is in the WDC. Better advertisement I think.

Logscaler.

Maybe it's because it's harder to do the Oregon Delorme Challenge because you have to go by the printed maps instead of throwing a bookmark pocket query into a grid file. :rolleyes: You should talk Moun10bike into doing the Garmin MapSource grids for the Oregon DeLorme Challenge too. I know I would appreciate a grid file for Oregon.

I was thinking the same thing. I just completed the WA delorme challenge and was looking at both OR and ID for possible new projects only to find no online map overlays that I could use to determine where I needed to go. The streets and trips overlay would be the best one in my case.

I just completed the WA delorme challenge and was looking at both OR and ID for possible new projects only to find no online map overlays that I could use to determine where I needed to go. The streets and trips overlay would be the best one in my case.

Read this log.

I have gpx files of the page corners for both Oregon and Idaho, and the page boundary polygons for Oregon. For some reason, I've lost the page boundary polys for Idaho but they can be recreated from the corner gpx files. As I understand it, the page boundary overlay that M10B did for Washington were pretty involved and tedious.

Anyway, here's what Oregon looks like with the corners imported.

12dbce54-006f-4351-8f35-03bc7a77994b.jpg

Idaho looks similar, except it's shaped funny. :rolleyes:

Edited by blindleader

Is there a way to see what caches are located within a particular page? I don't have any of the mapping software. Thanks

Do you use EasyGPS (free) or ExpertGPS? I can convert the grids to that format without any trouble for you.

Otherwise, I can give you the link to my almost completed WA DeLorme bookmark list to get you in the neighborhood of each grid (and to help you find the hard ones where there are only one or two cafhes in some grids (like 35)).

Edited by PastorDIC

Is there a way to see what caches are located within a particular page? I don't have any of the mapping software. Thanks

Do you use EasyGPS (free) or ExpertGPS? I can convert the grids to that format without any trouble for you.

Otherwise, I can give you the link to my almost completed WA DeLorme bookmark list to get you in the neighborhood of each grid (and to help you find the hard ones where there are only one or two cafhes in some grids (like 35)).

I don't even know what EasyGPS is. I just started this madness called geocaching a few months ago. All of the cool software and technology is new to me, so I appreciate your help.

I don't even know what EasyGPS is. I just started this madness called geocaching a few months ago. All of the cool software and technology is new to me, so I appreciate your help.

Ok, I spent last evening downloading and playing with the EasyGPS, so at least now I know what it is.

I've noticed the link for the tpo file for the NG TOPO software is broken. Thankfully I knew a few tricks and was able to import the text file for the DeLorme Atlas into TOPO as a Route file. Doesn't display the page numbers in a good place so if you need to figure out a page number it's best to glance at one of the online versions but it at least is an option.

I was just looking to get a couple of pages between Mt Rainier, Mt St Helens & Mt Adams, and I noticed that 35 only has one cache left in it. Waaaaay down at the southern border is GRM35. I'm not sure I'm up for a 9 1/2 hour drive! I'd place one at the north end, but that won't help me (others, yes) to complete the page.

Ok, I spent last evening downloading and playing with the EasyGPS, so at least now I know what it is.

On the Washington State Geocaching Association page (www.geocachingwa.org) there is a section for GSAK filters. They are text files containing the coordinates for each page. These can be used to determine if a cache is located in a particular page. If you are plotting the caches on a map, be careful of the ones close to the edges, they may not be where they seem. (made that mistake myself)

On a side note, if you haven't looked at GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), I would recommend taking a look, it does alot more than easy GPS and will save the caches you download into a database. There is another thread here talking about it, if you want to know more.

Well, I was informed of this a few weeks ago by lostchevy, and it was confirmed today by WR7X: the Washington DeLorme Atlas pages have changed dramatically in the newest edition. As described by WR7X, the maps have a new look and the pages are numbered differently, starting in the upper left in the San Juan Islands on page 14 running through page 103 along the Columbia River west of Patterson.

So, what should happen to the Washington DeLorme Challenge? I have been thinking about the options and have come up with the following:

1. Leave the Challenge as-is; as mentioned in rule #8, "While the various editions and versions of the DeLorme Atlas do not seem to gave changed much in terms of page boundaries, the image above derived from the information in the cache owner's copy will be considered definitive."
  2. Update the Challenge to use to the newest version of the Atlas.
  3. Archive the existing Challenge and create a new one, since some aspects of the effort will have changed as a result of the changes to the page boundaries.

I am leaning toward getting a new copy of the Atlas and doing #3. All finds will count, but I will not allow hides. I will move the final container and place a new logbook in it to make it a totally new cache. I realize that some people will be able to log it as complete immediately upon publishing, but I abhor restrictions on caches that prevent previous caches from counting - the whole point for me at the outset was to say a person has cached on every page, not on every page after some arbitrary date.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

<Snip>

I haven't seen the new atlas. Have the page boundaries changed or just the numbering?

Since I have done a fair number of the pages as they currently exist on the cache page, I would likely prefer option 1, but it would be interesting to see what it looks like under the new page set. I only have one trip left over two nights to be able to complete the challenge at this point.

Having most of the current I hate to see it archived making me have to go to far corners of the state to pick up possible differences. Maybe another option is to create a new challenge based on the new release but allow a grace period (say the end on next summer) before archiving the existing challenge.

Now the tough question: What would be the constraints allowing one to log both the old and the new? :unsure:

Bottom line. MTB, you have been doing the bookkeeping, what are your desires?

Well, I was informed of this a few weeks ago by lostchevy, and it was confirmed today by WR7X: the Washington DeLorme Atlas pages have changed dramatically in the newest edition. As described by WR7X, the maps have a new look and the pages are numbered differently, starting in the upper left in the San Juan Islands on page 14 running through page 103 along the Columbia River west of Patterson.

So, what should happen to the Washington DeLorme Challenge? I have been thinking about the options and have come up with the following:

1. Leave the Challenge as-is;
  3. Archive the existing Challenge and create a new one

I am leaning toward getting a new copy of the Atlas and doing #3.

Definitely the current edition should be the standard for everyone who has already started the challenge. If many pages have dramatically different boundaries (more than a few miles), then option two might not be be fair to those currently working on the challenge.

I see little need to archive the current listing, since the old page boundaries are permanently available electronically from M10B and the WSGA web site.

If the changes are significant (a few miles here and there) but not dramatic, then perhaps a you could make the new edition the standard for all new participants after the corner data is available online. Current participants would have the option of changing over to the new edition. This would entail a bit more work for you so nobody would fault you for taking another approach.

Whether or not you lean far enough toward option three to fall over, checking out the new edition is definitely the the next step. Until then, I think all discussion is highly hypothetical.

Here's the snapshot that WR7X posted with his log on the challenge page - looks like it's changed a fair amount. Different number of grids - I count 89 grids in the new version (with one extraneous grid, 98) vs. 99 in current one. Grid depth is the same, but east/west grid counts have shifted. For example, the new version has 12 WA grids on the top row rather than 13. And all the grid boundaries seem to have shifted a bit.

4eeac86a-e21c-4db9-b8f3-ff1b5cee8ad4.jpg

Edited by hydnsek

I realize that some people will be able to log it as complete immediately upon publishing, but I abhor restrictions on caches that prevent previous caches from counting - the whole point for me at the outset was to say a person has cached on every page, not on every page after some arbitrary date.

I see your point, but I'd participate if previous finds didn't count. That would seem like a real challenge. What's the challenge to those who have finished the original Delorme Challenge, to enter a new Delorme Challenge II, but log it as complete right from the get go? As a thought, perhaps continue with the original challenge that allows previous finds, but start a new Delorme Challenge where previous finds don't count. Then those presently participating, or those who enter one of the challenges later, can have a choice. Just my 2 Euros worth (I have some left over from my recent trip to Germany). :unsure:

1. Leave the Challenge as-is; as mentioned in rule #8, "While the various editions and versions of the DeLorme Atlas do not seem to gave changed much in terms of page boundaries, the image above derived from the information in the cache owner's copy will be considered definitive."
  3. Archive the existing Challenge and create a new one, since some aspects of the effort will have changed as a result of the changes to the page boundaries.

I am leaning toward getting a new copy of the Atlas and doing #3. All finds will count, but I will not allow hides. I will move the final container and place a new logbook in it to make it a totally new cache. I realize that some people will be able to log it as complete immediately upon publishing, but I abhor restrictions on caches that prevent previous caches from counting - the whole point for me at the outset was to say a person has cached on every page, not on every page after some arbitrary date.

I say use option #1. No need to change anything. The map that was used to create the challenge is still available on the cache description page. Other wise archive the cache, delete all finds and make everyone start over. Your rule #8 gives you the answer to your own question.

I think #3 is the best option. Best do it now rather than watch the old map get progressively older, more out of date, and unavailable in print. Maybe you can overlap them and keep the old one going for a little while with a cut-off date so those working on it can have a chance to finish?

I abhor restrictions on caches that prevent previous caches from counting

BLESS YOU!! ME TOO! :unsure:

Number 1, but publish a date at some point in the future when number 2 would be implemented.

I would really not want #3 with restrictions, I know you said you don't like that either. Had a blast on two trips this year to get some pages, would not want those trips to be erased from this adventure.

Looking forward to picking up the newest edition, looks like it has a few more changes from the two other editions I have.