Who/what Is Virtualcheater?

EricsBrat

I had a geo coin muggled last month out of a cache. :rolleyes:

Today, I received the message below. Has anyone encountered this type of grab before? I guess I am just disheartned that people muggle items that are to be tracked.

-EricsBrat

This is an automated message from Geocaching.com

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

virtualcheater grabbed USA Geocoin #17780 (USA Geocoin) at 10/5/2005

Log Date: 10/5/2005

tx

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/log.aspx?L...82-6ccf10ee0fae

Visit USA Geocoin #17780

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...64-abf813188a04

Profile for virtualcheater:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=63...8d-f9d3513d153e :o

Maybe somebody logged it since you included the tracking number in the name of the TB? That would be like posting a picture of the TB with # on the TB tag showing in the picture. Just about anybody that stumbled across the TB would have the # to post a find.

ShowStop beat me to the punch :rolleyes:

Just go back and Edit the name of your TB

(I Bet its still in the cache)

ShowStop beat me to the punch  :rolleyes:

Just go back and Edit the name of your TB

(I Bet its still in the cache)

That's an interesting take, and I bet you're right.

This turns "VirtualCheater" into an appropriate name - especially if the cheating is totally "virtual".

I kind of like the clever concept - unless he actually -is- taking the coin.

--Marc

October 5, 2005 @ 8:47 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Oh my!  What have I started! LOL 

I had attempted to find the coin when I was in Lake Tahoe - but I couldn't find the cache... go figure!  I guess I'll just let my coin travel virtually.  :unsure:

I found that cache just before Labor Day. There was no coin in it.

I probably shouldn't post this pic, but it isn't the cache page - so don't go researching the cache if you're heading to Tahoe :blink:

The cache is in the shadows of the large rocks just behind CrashNBurnGirl's head. As usual, The Boys wandered right on past :unsure:

19cde957-d0db-4a1a-9aa0-a2adb9187069.jpg

We have lost several coins ourselves... they do seem to like to disappear. One of them we left over in Ireland and before we could get it back (the coin had moved around a good bit) it just vanished somewhere in Denmark.

Virtualcheater has an interesting profile considering the person has found a couple of coins and TBs, but has not logged one cache.... not a one. I am not sure I am too good with folks running around grabbing TBs virtually. It will only work to severely srew up the logs. :unsure:

We have lost several coins ourselves... they do seem to like to disappear. One of them we left over in Ireland and before we could get it back (the coin had moved around a good bit) it just vanished somewhere in Denmark.

Virtualcheater has an interesting profile considering the person has found a couple of coins and TBs, but has not logged one cache.... not a one. I am not sure I am too good with folks running around grabbing TBs virtually. It will only work to severely srew up the logs. :unsure:

Almost every TB he found he put in the Graveyard :unsure: .

My coins stay in collection and travel virtually. I take them to events and things and let people "touch" them. I had one coin yesterday go 30,000+ miles in one day. I thought that was cool!

If indeed the coin is missing from the cache, then the coin wasn't "muggled" the person who "stole" it was a geocacher. When you take travel bugs or coins for the purpose of keeping them forever (without the owners permission) then you are stealing.

However virtualcheater just seems to be somebody who created an account to log bugs and coins where the number is in the name or showing in a picture. Harmless and totally preventable, imo.

Thanks for the picture of where the Tahoe Cache is.... I was there, just didn't see it! LOL And thanks for letting me know the coin really wasn't there.

My next coin I will be sure to not have the coin number listed; I didn't know that it was listed, as I never really paid attention. I have paid my dues and learned my lesson. :unsure:

As for this coin, I think I'll just let it roam virtually as I am actually getting a laugh out of it, which I need. :blink:

I love the sport of geocaching and one of my pet peeves is people who take TB and Coin's to keep; Signature items are another story (IMHO) because they are left intentionally for people to keep; at least the ones in the SF Bay Area.

-EricsBrat

:unsure:

Thanks for the picture of where the Tahoe Cache is.... I was there, just didn't see it! LOL And thanks for letting me know the coin really wasn't there.

My next coin I will be sure to not have the coin number listed; I didn't know that it was listed, as I never really paid attention. I have paid my dues and learned my lesson. :o

As for this coin, I think I'll just let it roam virtually as I am actually getting a laugh out of it, which I need. :lol:

I love the sport of geocaching and one of my pet peeves is people who take TB and Coin's to keep; Signature items are another story (IMHO) because they are left intentionally for people to keep; at least the ones in the SF Bay Area.

-EricsBrat

:lol:

The unfortunate reality is that many TBs and (most) coins will go missing. Sad, but the more interesting the TB item is the more likely it'll be taken.

I am at risk of being told this is in the wrong forum :lol:

Thanks for the picture of where the Tahoe Cache is.... I was there, just didn't see it!  LOL  And thanks for letting me know the coin really wasn't there. 

My next coin I will be sure to not have the coin number listed; I didn't know that it was listed, as I never really paid attention.  I have paid my dues and learned my lesson.  :P

As for this coin, I think I'll just let it roam virtually as I am actually getting a laugh out of it, which I need.  :lol:

I love the sport of geocaching and one of my pet peeves is people who take TB and Coin's to keep;  Signature items are another story (IMHO) because they are left intentionally for people to keep; at least the ones in the SF Bay Area.

-EricsBrat

The unfortunate reality is that many TBs and (most) coins will go missing. Sad, but the more interesting the TB item is the more likely it'll be taken.

I am at risk of being told this is in the wrong forum :P

Your at major risk :lol::o

{just through the word "Geocoin" in there :P }

It will only work to severely srew up the logs.  :lol:

Which is why it is a very good idea to not post the TB number -- in cache logs or logbook, on the TB page, in the forums, etc.

Windrose

Now I am curious.... how do you NOT post the TB# on the page? I don't see where I can remove it if I wanted to. Is this something you have to do during the set-up/release of the coin?

A curious girl wants to know for her next release. :lol:

-EricsBrat