Moving To Indiana?!

GPS_David

My wife and I have been seriously talking about moving from Long Island, NY to the South Bend, Granger, ? area. I will be talking to a real estate friend of mine this weekend to discuss things such as selling our home and buying one in Indiana.

If things go right, we may be taking another trip out there to check out the area and look at some houses.

What can you guys tell me about the area? Who lives in the area? How is the caching? Anyone go hiking? kayaking? What is your typical GC event like?

Thanks

Dave

Sorry, no caches in the South Bend area. No rivers or lakes for kayaking either. Only place to hike is on shoulders of highways. Events are few and far between and usually end up in drunken noisy brawls. Who lives there? Mostly ex-psych-ward patients and people on parole. Lot's of felons and an unusually high assortment of lowlifes of every description imaginable.

The Huntington County Wabash county area , on the other hand is quite different....much lower incidence of looneys.... :rolleyes:

Sorry, no caches in the South Bend area. No rivers or lakes for kayaking either. Only place to hike is on shoulders of highways. Events are few and far between and usually end up in drunken noisy brawls. Who lives there? Mostly ex-psych-ward patients and people on parole. Lot's of felons and an unusually high assortment of lowlifes of every description imaginable.

The Huntington County Wabash county area , on the other hand is quite different....much lower incidence of looneys.... :rolleyes:

Wow! my kind of crowd! I will fit right in, just released from multiple stints at Riker's and... um... Atica. No Caches? Excellent, I will have the advantage of placing all the caches in the area. Just to increase the difficulty on my caches, i can set some bear traps out there, maybe dig some pits and cover with sticks and leaves. :o

I've been doing some research of my own but figured I could get some cachers point of views. :D

Dave

The Huntington County Wabash county area , on the other hand is quite different....much lower incidence of looneys.... :unsure:

I thought you were talking about Fort Wayne there for a moment :unsure:

... If you chose that area ya gotta watch out for all the football fans that flock into Notre Dame on Game Days .... Traffic if brutal if you happen to be in that area on those days !

Star

How true! I have a cache hidden on campus and discovered that on home football Saturdays it is completely impossible to get to it. I wanted to check on it a few weeks ago when MSU played here at ND and there was a tailgate party going on literally on top of my cache. But it didn't get muggled. :unsure:

I was born and raised here and have been in SB my entire 45 years. Lots of good caching in and around SB. I think there are about 140 caches within 20 miles of my home coordinates and the few cachers I have met from this area seem to be really cool folks. But we do get lots of snow in the winter; only drawback to living in the snowbelt.

If you move out here from Long Island please look me up.

Mr. TSP

I've lived in South Bend for 10 years and I can tell you that SixDogTeam is entirely wrong!! We're nice people for the most part. . .and I didn't even grow up here!

Team Tigger is right however, the Notre Dame game traffic is brutual, ridiculous, and annoying. I don't go anywhere in Mishawaka or near campus on game days!

But the nice thing is South Bend and Mishawaka do seem to have a nice amount of caches, not only in those cities but reaching into Elkhart, Niles and Buchanan, Michigan, New Carlisle, and North Liberty area including Potato Creek State Park (which is my favorite local place for hiking). Our caching neighbors in LaPorte and Michigan City are also pretty active at finding and placing caches.

The East Race in downtown South Bend is the site of several national kayaking events. Ok, several might be stretching it, I really don't know, but it was the site of the Pan Am games back in 19whatever.

My opinion, stay out of Granger. Homes cost too much and taxes are too high.

Thanks for your replies. We are checking out some homes in a few different areas and someone mentioned to make sure we get the PHM school districts.

I will be leaving tomorrow at 5am in the morning for SB and hope to get there by 5 or 6pm. I'm hoping to go caching on Sunday or otherwise find a few each day while I'm there... I just wish I could find a list of caches off of I80.

Dave