Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Airmapper

Cb

I got a JC Penny 23 channel CB radio at an auction with a box full of other stuff, all for $5. I got a starduster antenna from my uncle to hook to it so I can mess with it. The antenna is maybe 25 foot or more tall. I'm picking up all sorts of stuff but nothing real clear.

Any Geocachers use CB, and I'd just like to hear about CB in general as well.

How far you think I can get out with a 12v system. And a huge antenna.

I had something similar when I was younger, don't think the antenna was as tall. What matters more than running 12v is the output wattage. If you look on the bottom it should tell you, probably 5 watts output. My rig used to get out 10-15 miles, kind of depends on the terrain in your area. Every once in a while I'd get what is called "skip" where the signal bounces off of a solar flare or whatever and I'd briefly get signal from 500+ miles away. For the most part, set up right it should get you around 10 miles.

Neat, I did talk to a trucker who I thought was around 10 miles away.

The Mexicans must love CB's, they got the leaners and I'm hearing stuff from Houston to Puerto Rico.

At that rate I think CB ought to be more useful than cell phones in my area.

You need to look into a ham lisience if you want real range and usefullness.

Many a ham radio op got their start dinkin' around with CB. Some won't admit it, though. :mad: I messed around with CB back in the '70s when I was in high school and for a short while after I graduated. I enjoyed "shooting skip" on SSB when the conditions were conducive to that kind of thing. Yes, I used to "run power" and usually had a 150 Watt linear amp running in my car. I was one of the guys with "a golden screwdriver" who opened up the 40 channel radios to many more channels, both above and below, for my friends.

But one day, I wanted to do more. I wanted to have reliable communications for more than just a couple of miles. I also wanted to "shoot the skip" without fear of being caught by the FCC, like a couple of people I knew had happen. I wanted to run power without the same fears. I also decided I wanted to get my ham radio license before getting caught doing some of those illegal things I was doing on CB would have a detrimental affect on my ever getting a ham radio license. So, I broke down and studied the code and spent a little time with the theory. My father-in-law and I got our licenses at the same time so I had someone I knew who I could talk to right away. That was back in '85.

I've done things by the book ever since. Radio has become a large part of my life; a source of many friends and a public service outlet for me. I feel more secure when I go out camping or hunting in the back country because I know that I'll be able to contact someone should something bad happen and I need assistance.

Wow, I've really drifted off topic on this one. :D To wrap it up, yes I've done the CB thing. I had a blast with it when I was younger. If you enjoy CB, consider adding one more hobby to your apparently large list. See about getting your amateur radio license. There is most likely a ham radio operator near where you live or even a ham radio club. Most hams and clubs like nothing else much more than bringing new people into the hobby and helping them get their start.

Ken

Edited by n6mhg

I do have CBs but none of them in operation, I talk to the people I need to on 2m

I would encourage everyone that does geocaching also work to get licensed, it is really not that tough. I have been looking into TCP/IP over 2m, for short range(100 miles or less) to transfer waypoints and email purposes, anybody tried it?

Many a ham radio op got their start dinkin' around with CB. Some won't admit it, though. :santa: I messed around with CB back in the '70s when I was in high school and for a short while after I graduated..........

My start in ham radio was much the same, but in the 1960's; played with CB for a bit and then my Uncle Al (the original W2TXB came to visit and explained that ham radio would be a lot more fun and work better, too. I studied and got my first license more than 36 years ago, and never regretted it. My wife is also a ham, and we communicate on VHF and UHF when on the road.

The hard part for me right now is having gotten back into low-power CW and then putting the house on the market - all the antennas are down until after we get into the new house. Withdrawal............

:lol: Hi all yes we still use cbs here in amargosa valley nv,, i talk all over the usa and i love to Geo Cache, i have been on the cb a long time,, i started in 1971, i got a base that can talk puting out 1k we talk on ch8 27.0550 mhz so if you are out this way gave us a huler and check out so geart caches zip 89020

the Fireman

...i talk all over the usa and...

That's illegal,

...i got a base that can talk puting out 1k ...

and that is illegal.

Someone in FL was arrested recently for doing those very things, so the FCC does prosecute offenders.

Edited by Criminal

Someone in FL was arrested recently for doing those very things, so the FCC does prosecute offenders.

I lived in Huntsville, Alabama in the 80s and one of my friends was a CB nut that ran power. I told him the FCC would get him sooner or later and he just laughed at me. He ran power for a number of years but his luck finally did run out. THE FCC confiscated all his radio equipment and fined him pretty good. I'm still friends with him because we grew up together and we hunted deer together when I lived in Alabama. He doesn't like to talk about the FCC incident and doesn't even own a CB today.

Except for my motorcycle and my current car, most of my vehicles have had a CB installed. I've always thought there should be an official geocacher CB channel. FRS? That's for yuppies.

Jamie

if interested in cb check out ''one stop cb forum''..tons of info..plus they have monthly cb ''skip contacts contests'' with prizes an no enty fee,s..also geocaching is very simalar to what cb,ers do called ''fox hunting''....how bout it any one stop forum members on here ? 73....PS,you dont have to be a member to look at the info on the forum..

Edited by clemons

I have been looking into TCP/IP over 2m, for short range(100 miles or less) to transfer waypoints and email purposes, anybody tried it?

You would be better off using Packet (AX.25) or, if you are feeling brave, have a go with the KA9Q NOS program.

NOS (Network Operating System) is a way of using TCP/IP over the radio.

There's a very good book on it by Ian Wade (G3NRW) called "NOSintro - TCP/IP over Packet Radio".

There were some nodes set up in the UK, and I even managed to get something running myself, once upon a time. However, there wasn't much interest because it was the equivalent of Linux on the radio. Difficult to set up, and few people on when you did!

Google for NOSview and KA9Q and you will probably find more info.

HTH

Hey AirMapper,

Really man, you need to check into Amateur Radio (HAM). Then instead of chatting with locals while your Geocaching, you could chat with other Cachers around the world. And did you know that most HT's- (handhelds) are basically 4 radios built into one? You have a 2-way radio, a pocket pager, mobile phone in most locations, and a voice link to anywhere in the world (IRLP-Echolink). And most of these features are with little or no cost to you.

Then you can try Packet radio, Amateur Television - Send video over the air to others, and lots of other fun stuff.

Your basically gonna be stuck trying to find that much fun with Citizen Band..

Chris KA7CJH IRLP Node 3922

p.s. can you tell I really like Ham Radio?

Well I think all this stuff is cool, I might get more interested in this when I'm older (i.e. have more money.. :rolleyes:)

CB radios are great fun and they are how I got my start in my career (I work in wireless). The biggest limiting factor on CB is the noise levels. Right now the bands are nice and quiet so you can get some good distance locally. When sporadic-E conditions exist, there are so many stations from all over coming in that it is sometimes impossible to talk across town. As for talking any distance (DX), this is also the time you can do this. But it can be difficult because there are so many high-powered stations that its hard to get a word in edgewise. Many CBers who are keen on talking DX will modify their radios to transmit slightly above and below the regular 40 channels as used here in North America. These have much lower noise levels and fewer operators, but certainly enough of them to make long-range contacts possible. Many of these operators run higher-powered radios (or regular CBs with outboard amplifiers) to give themselves more reach. I should mention that this is illegal. They almost always run single sideband (SSB) mode because it has a definite advantage over the regular AM mode. When conditions are right, it isn't unusual to be able to talk car-to-car from the Ontario into western Europe, Africa & even the pacific rim. Modifying a CB for this type of channel expansion can either be very easy or very difficult depending upon the type (and age) of the radio.

So I've read.... [:laughing:]

C-A

Well I think all this stuff is cool, I might get more interested in this when I'm older (i.e. have more money.. :laughing:)

If you live near Ft.Campbell, send me an email via my profile and I can chat with you a bit and show you how HAM radio may not be as expensive as you may think. There is an active bunch of HAMS in the Ft. C/ Clarksville/Oak Grove area, and several of us are 'cachers, too.

Yea I just bought an cobra 38wxst Toasted my dads really old cobra 138xlr if anyone here has a CB and live around lancaster Id be glad to chat You can email me if you do.

No but you can get an adapter such as BNC to 259 or SMA to 259 depending on what is coming out of the radio.

I picked up a hand held CB at a garage sale for a buck and haven't played with it much but I will. The 4x4 crowd tends towards CB's and so that's where I'll go.

Fireman,,why not line it up on the upper freeband channels ? i hear cb,ers an hammies all the time on there....

CB radio is fun. I started when I was 16 and had a unit ever since. I also did research into modifing radios for me and my friends and also had the BIG POWER. 2,000 watts. It was fun turning on motion lights and knocking out traffic lights, and bleeding into the jerk next to you with the loud stereo. Then one day it hit me. Why dont I get my ham license and be able to do all this legal? Now I am responcible for 2 repeaters in my area, have 54 foot tower in my back yard, and I also use amateur radio satilites to communicate with other hams in the states.

And as far as freeband, no hammies there, Illegal....

Edited by Steak N Eggs

I haven't used it much lately, but back around 1980 or so when the CB craze was waning, my grandma got me a Midland walkie-talkie style handheld as a 13th birthday present because she knew I was fascinated with those things. I did turn it on last weekend and still works well over 1/4 century later

Yea I just bought an cobra 38wxst Toasted my dads really old cobra 138xlr if anyone here has a CB and live around lancaster Id be glad to chat You can email me if you do.

Lebanon, here, which might be a bit out of range :-) Even moreso, I'm in Williamsport 5 days out of the week for school.

I have a Cobra in my truck with a 3 foot aerial (mebbe longer, haven't ever measured). I've seen a car on campus frequently with one that is something like 10-15 feet, so much so that they have it anchored with 4 mags, as opposed to my 1. I'd like to get a base station, but they're so bloody expensive, which is also why I haven't gotten into HAM yet.

Edited by Search4Lancer

I picked up a hand held CB at a garage sale for a buck and haven't played with it much but I will. The 4x4 crowd tends towards CB's and so that's where I'll go.

4x4 and off roading is about all I use my CB for these days. It's great for keeping in touch with the other 4 wheelers (especially after I blew out my front CV's on a trail a few weeks back). I do have fond memories of playing with CB back in the 70's. It was a lot of fun back then. Seems like everyone had one so there was plenty of people to talk with. All I ever hear on it now is static or the occasional high powered station blasting in from down south somewhere. I have my Tech Ham license now and am working towards my General. After working some DX on 20 and 40 meters at the last field day, I'm hooked. I still miss the "good old days" on CB though!

Edited by GSK11740

I still miss the "good old days" on CB though!

If you find a well used repeater, it can have very much the same feel.

--Marky - K6FTF

...i talk all over the usa and...

That's illegal,

...i got a base that can talk puting out 1k ...

and that is illegal.

And maybe only 1 in 500,000 arrested for this offense. Most people running 500 watts or a kilo are just major geeks that are really into their skip. To get arrested for this you'd have to be running quite a bit of power 500+ and be causing some major major interference in your local area with negibors and just not care. You keep not caring about your RF interference sooner or later enough complaints will force the FCC to do something. I use to run 250 Watts and managed Austraila, central america, all over the u.s., canada, hong kong. etc. It was a fun time. Had a 1/4 wave about 30 feet in the air.

CB is dead, Ham radio is the way to go.

:anibad: Hi all yes we still use cbs here in amargosa valley nv,, i talk all over the usa and i love to Geo Cache, i have been on the cb a long time,, i started in 1971, i got a base that can talk puting out 1k we talk on ch8 27.0550 mhz so if you are out this way gave us a huler and check out so geart caches zip 89020

the Fireman

5 Watts to the final usually about 21/2 to 4 watts to the antenna

Edited by vagabond

:D HI ALL THE FIREMAN HERE HAM RAIDOS ARE GEART BUT A LOT OF MONEY SO I STILL TALK ON MY CB CH 8 HERE IN NV AND CH 9 EM... IN THE LAST 6 MOS. I HAVE TO GO AND HELP 7 GEO CACHER OUT OF THE MUCK... THAT DONOT HAVE THE RIGHT CAR .TRUCK OR BIKE THE VALLEY I LIVE IN 640 SQ MILES SO I HAVE TO RUN A LITTLE POWER ;;;

You can get a handheld ham radio for the same price as a CB, and then you don't have to worry about breaking the law.

I agree with Blue Ninja,,

I once had a 500 mile conversation when I was using just a Radio Shack HTX202 (handheld). I was in Taft,California and chatting on a repeater up in Auburn,California. You just can't beat "Tropospheric Ducting".

And to think I was only using 5 watts and the stock rubber duck antenna.

Chris KA7CJH

And to think I was only using 5 watts and the stock rubber duck antenna.

I use my original rubber duck antenna that came with my handheld 38wxst and it gets better reception then another guy I know's extended antenna.

I got a JC Penny 23 channel CB radio at an auction with a box full of other stuff, all for $5. I got a starduster antenna from my uncle to hook to it so I can mess with it. The antenna is maybe 25 foot or more tall. I'm picking up all sorts of stuff but nothing real clear.

We might as well add our two cents worth....... :mad: I (poikää) have been HAMMING for 18 years now and got my start in CB radio about 1982, before that I was and still am, a shortwave listener. It was HAM radio that got the two of us (poikää es butterfly) into geocaching in 2002. Since it is so much like a FOX hunt and butterfly enjoys the outdoors, we jumped in with both feet. We use FRS rigs for comms when we geocache if we get separated. Mobile to mobile CB use might work for geocaching in a group event. Maybe a cache could be worked out too! HAMs are trying to get a coordinated cache radio system to work now and some seem to have done so.

FRS rigs have been used to some degree with a geocache, not sure if it is still up es running.... My point is that combining geocaching and radio hobbies might be fun. but just using HAM, CB and other part 95 rigs is fun in itself. Now how about combining CW and geocaching? Aready been done at least once! Cell phones and geocaching? coordinating a cache find like in a WEB CAM cache.... The ideas are endless or allmost!

Chasing the elusive find in a hunt has been man's age old ideal. Since we ran after our supper with a spear... geocaching has continued this and made it fun to get out doors again and use skills to find the HIDE and or FOX and or DINNER ...... I think I lost the thread! :mad:

Happy Caching! poikää es butterfly

I've been hamming for ~~15 & am a general class op. A LOT of hams are into a mode called APRS (Amateur Position Reporting System) which uses a GPS connected to a radio which sends your position every few minutes to a digital repeater which in turn relays the info and within seconds it is available on the internet.

This has proven itself most useful in search & rescue and other emergencies.

Now I've had CB's over the years and yeah they're fun but you have one option.. talk to someone else that has a CB..

Can ya talk with the astronauts on the Space Station?? I have..

Can ya bounce a signal off the aurora (northern lights)? I have..

Can ya send a MEG of data over the air?? I have..

Can ya LEGALY transmit using 1500 watts?? I have..

Can ya send pictures over the air?? I have..

And so have thousands of other hams.

That little piece of paper is the key to explore a whole new world of communications possibilities and the education, the knowledge, the friends, and the satisfaction that comes with it are priceless.

As far as Geocaching goes theres an Echolink net every week and theres several cachers here in Maine that I chat with daily on 2 meters. I have also had contacts with other cachers on 15, 20 & 40 meters around the country and around the world.

So come on board & have some fun with radios, 'puters, GPS & a great bunch of folks.

Go to: www.arrl.org for info.

..RJW..

The only thing I use CB for is when my son's Boy Scout Troop travels. We use it for vehicle to vehicle communications.

too many variables to predict your range with any system. local terrain, other traffic, other radio wave interferance, atmospheric conditions................... the list goes on.

Best thing to do, make sure to get your swr as low as possible. Keep antenna away from other objects.

The CB was designed for short range communication, use a phone to call the next state.

If, after you play with the CB a while, and would like to get serious about radio, check into ham.