Modify Your Ride Gc Style

I think a Land Rover Discovery would be cool, with all the racks, bars, and lights I could get on it. And a snorkel, would probably never use it but it would be cool. Geocaching stickers would be on it, but they would match the truck color.

A Hummer would also be cool, but that's to much truck, coulen't get it down a one lane road.

Hummer H1, add 6"-12" suspension lift, toss in a supercharger, full underbody skid plate/driveline cage. Wire in a GPS nav system complete with laptop and voice nav. Hands-free cellphone system, shortwave & CB radio, police scanners. Tire monitoring/inflation/deflation system. 12,000 lb winch. Safari lights all around, extra power up front for late night searches. Of course the snorkel system.

If money was no object....

...and who cares if it fits down a 1-lane road? Make your own!

--------------------

This land is not inherited from our ancestors; rather, it is borrowed from our children

And just think how much your children will enjoy the land you borrowed when you give it back to them with tire tracks running through the meadow. :P

--------------------

This land is not inherited from our ancestors; rather, it is borrowed from our children

And just think how much your children will enjoy the land you borrowed when you give it back to them with tire tracks running through the meadow. :P

Okay, so even I can appreciate the irony of that...

In all actuality, I've been places with my Silverado that the truck didn't fit and I had to do some trailblazing. And, I've had to do a great deal of off-road trailblazing for work in the past. If you're smart about it, anywhere from a few weeks to a year or so later for a path travelled several times, you can't see it anymore. Just follow the Tread Lightly! guidelines and you'll be alright.

A Hummer would also be cool, but that's to much truck, coulen't get it down a one lane road.

You'd be surprised. Hummers have their limits but the one in our club managed to do the majority of the trails we did. The only time it couldn't follow us was on a super tight trail where no fullsize truck would fit, or where its weight was too much of a disadvantage.

Hummer H1, add 6"-12" suspension lift, toss in a supercharger, full underbody skid plate/driveline cage.

AFAIK, they come stock with underbody skids. I know this because the one in our club often got the skids stuck on rocks (I don't know why but AM General made them with gaps...maybe for cooling for component access??). As far as a driveline cage, it already has one, that's why your typical 4-door Hummer can only seat four adults. The transmission and driveshaft tunnel is above hip height when you're sitting inside.

Call me bland but I'd probably go for a Diesel Land Cruiser wagon. But since money is no object, more likely a Eurovan Syncro with Westfalia camper conversion and satellite Internet access. Or for pure excess, a Mercedes Unimog (with a four-person cab) with a camper box and satellite Internet access, as well as a couple of kayaks, mtn bikes and a dirt bike for those hard-to-reach caches.

GeoBC

There's no need for me to guess, I already own the 4x4 cache vehicle of my dreams :P Frankenstein, my '89 Jeep Wrangler. Featuring a Tuned Port Injection Chevy 305cid (5.0L) V8, 700R4 tranny (with shift kit) and transfer case out of a Chevy K5 Blazer, Ford 8.8" rear end with trac-lock, 4:10 gears front and rear, 7" lift with 35x12.5" tires, windshield mounted off road lights, 9000lb winch. The interior has no carpet and "Rhino lined" (like a pickup bed) so I can easily hose mud and dirt out. I also have windshield mounts for my GPS and PDA. If you fold down the top you couldn't ask for better GPS reception :P

This is one of the few times it's not been covered in mud (and before I added the lights and winch)

jeep_side.jpg

winch.jpg

jeepclub.jpg

I'd get myself a relatively small, 4WD vehicle, preferably made before 1980. Jeep, Land Cruiser, Land Rover, Suzuki Jimny (predecessor to the Samurai), Ford Bronco, etc. Add trick parts as necessary.

I'd use the money I saved to pay for shipping the vehicle over the ocean, so I can spent the $$ caching in all the remote parts of the world. I'm sure people in these areas will have parts and know-how to fix old cars without all the high tech computer diagnostic gizmos (in case I can't fix it myself).

Edited by budd-rdc
Maybe one of these so I could bring along the whole geocrew? :o:rolleyes::D

I had to follow the link for "two static wheels" What the heck is a static wheel. If they are static, then they don't turn, if they don't roll what they are they on the vehicle for. Ah, now I see what they are calling a static wheel. Never heard them called that before. And I never really thought of them as an automobile "feature" either.

-dave

Nice Jeep clan Barron.

I already have my caching Jeep. A 1990 Jeep Wrangler. fuel injected 4.2L inline 6; 7.5" of lift; 37x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's; Dana 30 front axle with a solid shaft & Ford 8.8 rear axle w/ 4.10 gearing; skidplates everywhere; 9500lb Warn winch; spray-on bedlined interior(no sissy carpeting in this Jeep); KC Daylighters mounted near windshield; KC driving lights mounted on Warn front bumper; Poison Spyder Customs rocker guards; TJ flares so I could cut away some body for more tire clearance. My favorite part will be coming soon, a nice big "H2 Recovery Vehicle" sticker.

Edited by krazymtbr & QT

--------------------

And just think how much your children will enjoy the land you borrowed when you give it back to them with tire tracks running through the meadow. :rolleyes:

They'll be right beside me on that road.

Change that to a CJ7, add a computer with wifi, and a couple of other minor things and my answer would be THAT!!

NICE !

PS. I don't see an emoticon for drool.

Actually I do have a laptop with wifi and maping software that I carry along sometimes but I gotta say that I've not found too many (make that ANY) wifi hotspots out in the woods :rolleyes:

Change that to a CJ7, add a computer with wifi, and a couple of other minor things and my answer would be THAT!!

NICE !

Actually I do have a laptop with wifi and maping software that I carry along sometimes but I gotta say that I've not found too many (make that ANY) wifi hotspots out in the woods :rolleyes:

ahh but you forget money were no object-so there would be. :o

NICE !

Actually I do have a laptop with wifi and maping software that I carry along sometimes but I gotta say that I've not found too many (make that ANY) wifi hotspots out in the woods :unsure:

ahh but you forget money were no object-so there would be. :unsure:

Forget Wi-Fi, then. Auto-tracking satellite internet. Yep, that's the ticket.

There's no need for me to guess, I already own the 4x4 cache vehicle of my dreams :unsure: Frankenstein, my '89 Jeep Wrangler. Featuring a Tuned Port Injection Chevy 305cid (5.0L) V8, 700R4 tranny (with shift kit) and transfer case out of a Chevy K5 Blazer, Ford 8.8" rear end with trac-lock, 4:10 gears front and rear, 7" lift with 35x12.5" tires, windshield mounted off road lights, 9000lb winch. The interior has no carpet and "Rhino lined" (like a pickup bed) so I can easily hose mud and dirt out. I also have windshield mounts for my GPS and PDA. If you fold down the top you couldn't ask for better GPS reception :unsure:

This is one of the few times it's not been covered in mud (and before I added the lights and winch)

jeep_side.jpg

winch.jpg

jeepclub.jpg

I don't need no stinkin' modifications on my redneck water taxi!

45fc051c-bf60-4610-94dd-baa9f5f50c95.jpg

1960897d-15fc-4b17-b66e-c03c1404b82b.jpg

It sports an "Honorary" NEFGA Jeep Club sticker now too. Thanks Clan Barron!

There's no need for me to guess, I already own the 4x4 cache vehicle of my dreams  :unsure: Frankenstein,  my '89 Jeep Wrangler. Featuring a Tuned Port Injection Chevy 305cid (5.0L) V8, 700R4 tranny (with shift kit) and transfer case out of a Chevy K5 Blazer, Ford 8.8" rear end with trac-lock, 4:10 gears front and rear, 7" lift with 35x12.5" tires, windshield mounted off road lights, 9000lb winch. The interior has no carpet and "Rhino lined" (like a pickup bed) so I can easily hose mud and dirt out. I also have windshield mounts for my GPS and PDA. If you fold down the top you couldn't ask for better GPS reception  :unsure: 

We have similar vehicles although you definite win in the HP department.

;-)

'91 YJ with TF999 (rebuilt with Kevlar guts and a Stage II shift kit, HD torque converter, high volume pan...and I blocked the stock breather hole behind the TC and drilled/tapped a hole for one on top of the housing. I think your 700R4 is already taken care of in that regard. Was stuck in some really deep water - over 3 ft deep - and it killed my tranny, which motivated me to relocate the breather).

Dana 300 transfer case out of a CJ7 with home-made twin-stick and Tera 4:1 gears. Front/rear axles are from a Scout II, loaded with 4:10 gears and Detroit Softlockers. Front axle has high-steer so no more worrying about bending the tie rod, and no bump steer. Oh yeah, I recently built a 1/4" thick diff cover but cutting apart a Ford TTB D44 until there was nothing left 'cept for something that looked like a diff cover. Probably the funnest freebie I've ever done.

Like you, I also Rhino-lined the tub. Took a long time to prep it and a surprisingly long time to unplug the bolt holes etc. after we rolled the Jeep out of the spray booth. That stuff is tough and rubbery.

Suspension wise, it's sitting on four stock front YJ spring packs with extra main leafs in each, and Revolver shackles. It's spring over with TJ flares, trimmed sheet metal and a 1" body lift so I can fully stuff the 35" tires, although I will have to add some bumpstops because I have a set of 37's ready to go on but they're going to rub my fenderwells.

I installed a '92 rollbar and will use it as a base for a full rollcage. I also recently cut out the old front shock mounts and installed Ford F250 shock towers so I can fit my Rancho 9000's. The axle-side shock mounts have been put in-line with the axle tubes so nothing hangs down below the axles. This makes a surprising difference in rock crawling clearance. Now I have to do something about the rear shocks...I don't have enough room to fit the shocks that are required to allow my springs/Revolvers to fully droop.

BTW, I've swapped in an 8.8 (w/disc brakes) into my sister-in-law's Cherokee and another into a friend's YJ. A great swap, and a great axle. Super beefy and a good fit for a Chrysler Jeep.

Oh yeah, it has a RAM mount for my Garmin 76C!

cb-lars-climbing.jpg

5day-42.jpg

But to turn my Jeep into a better caching vehicle, it'll have to be Diesel (a Mercedes SD300 may be the most likely Diesel that'll fit, work well and not cost too much).

GeoBC

Right now my vehicle will get me into most of the places that I want to go into.

2004 Xterra SE

4x4

32 inch tires

Bike racks on top (when I need to go single track)

If I had the extra $... Maybe a 2-3" lift

Edited by JC_Geo
We have similar vehicles although you definite win in the HP department.

cb-lars-climbing.jpg

GeoBC

Sweet ride! Man that sure looks a lot more fun than the flat ground we got here in Florida! The best we can do is sand, mud and water (my wife took the pictures of Snoogans that you see above, when he was out in the woods with us). The rocks look much more challanging.

Two roads diverged - I took the one less traveled -

because I have a Jeep and a GPS !

/l ,[____],

l---L--lllllll-

()_) ()_)----)_)

Edited by clan_Barron

Giving out rides? Need a caching buddy?

Just kidding, the short/ high tail boom on that heli looks good for landing in small fields and parking lots. I bet you really could do some caching with that. (You better be rich though, helis are expensive to maintain.)

I think a converted military Chinook would be cool with a jeep you could drive out the back ramp after landing, that would be the millionares caching setup.

I think Kelsey has a winner! ;)

But you left out the best line from the website text:

The MaxiMog™ Expedition System is a modular high mobility vehicle designed for exploring this (or similar) planets.

Now if they would only get those satellites in orbits around the other planets so we could hide/find the caches there we'd be all set. :P