Placing A New Cache

adambro

Hello!

I've just obtained permission from a landowner to place my first cache. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to what to put in it (1 litre).

Also, whilst I was negotiating for permission it occurred to me that I could go through the whole process, place the cache, the not be able to get it approved for listing on gc. Could there not be a way to get an outline proposal for a cache to be approved before starting try to get landowner consent, then apply for it to be listed once it is placed and more details are known. Similar to obtaining planning permission for building works. I guess reviewers workload might be a problem.

Regards,

adambro

If you have the landowner's permission and follow the GC.com guidelines (and check out the GAGB guidelines) then your cache should be approved no problem.

Even if it isn't approved straight away for some reason, then the approvers will usually email you to check/change something and once you do that then it'll get approved.

Unlike planning permission it's not just a blunt NO! that you get :P

I've just obtained permission from a landowner to place my first cache. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to what to put in it (1 litre).

Raid your local pound shop/bargain store and pick a selection of interesting items. It's always worth putting in fun stuff for kids which are usually nice and cheap :P

The best advice is probably to put in stuff that you have found/spotted in other caches and liked.

When placing a cache I always like to put in a FTF certificate and a special FTF prize. I've used official GC.com merchandise, mini-Maglites, GC.com mini-caches and unactivated TBs as FTF prizes but not everyone is prepared to spend that kind of cash.

It's also worthwhile leaving space in the cache. If you stuff it full then finders may not be able to put in bigger swaps than you have or have space for TBs.

I've just obtained permission from a landowner to place my first cache. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to what to put in it

I see from your profile that you've already found 20 caches so you know the sorts of things that other people put into their caches.... Personally, I've done a few "themed" caches which are quite interesting to put together (eg ghosts/cats/famous man - I won't give the game away by saying which one!/Wales) so does the location of your cache suggest any particular subject? Or is it in an area that is noted for something in particular? :P Mrs B

Nice crisp tenners are always appreciated :P

I'm still waiting to find those in a cache. I'm amazed at how fast the replies have come. Erm, I wasn't really expected a problem getting my cache listed but I thought the idea might benefit some.

I'll take a look in the local pound shops for some items. I won't fill it too much so as to allow space for other trades and TBs. Regarding FTF rewards, I was thinking about putting a gift voucher in for the finder to use as they wish. Any suggestions on what a FTF certificate would look like?

Thanks,

adambro

Argh don't make it like the planning system, we'll have to submit "reserved matters" applications then dealing with the amount of moss/sticks/leaf cover used to disguise the cache and financial contributions towards open space provision. :P

and we would all have the right to object! Which i would unless I was guaranteed a decent swap, and no fiendishly difficult clues to solve! Oh, and I would also require early notification so i can get the nice crisp tenner that mongoose39 put in their caches for FTF... :P

B)

Famous man! could that possibly be a Welsh Themed cache that Mrs B did not wish to mention !! Put anything in it that you would like to find in a cache, plasters, dog collar/lead, toys for the youngsters, a TB with a mission, pen pencils, metal pin badges, a 35 mm cannister filled with coins is unusual, book, or even in case Mr B finds it , Laces !! I detest T Lights peronally, but now I think about it perhaps they are included for those who night cache ! Basically please yourself, but make it interesting. The FTF Rosette or Lottery ticket or scratch card are nice ideas.

Also, whilst I was negotiating for permission it occurred to me that I could go through the whole process, place the cache, the not be able to get it approved for listing on gc. Could there not be a way to get an outline proposal for a cache to be approved before starting try to get landowner consent, then apply for it to be listed once it is placed and more details are known.

As others have said, let's try and keep it simple - I HATE :P excessive paperwork!!

My suggestion would be to submit your cache page for review in the normal manner but add a reviewer note stating that you're in negotiations with the landowner. We'll check out the submission to see if there are any points that need addressing but leave it unpublished. A quick e-mail with details of the permission will then complete the process.

How does that sound?

Edited by Lactodorum

...I did find a wrapped Werther's Original in a cache once. It shouldn't have been there (see guidelines - no food!) so, to prevent it falling into the wrong hands, and to protect the innocent, I took a calculated risk (I like to live dangerously occasionally) and ate it.

I'm all heart :P

No long-term ill effects....apart from a tendency to eat cold baked beans and attack people with a mad axe :P Mrs B