Johnnie Lacy Coin On Ebay For Charity

KVOM

I started a second eBay charity auction for this coin.  The URL is here.

It is a scheduled auction which will start Oct. 6 (tomorrow) at 5:00am Pacific Time.

Maybe someone can email me and let me know how that 5:00am start time works out :P

lol, the thing that will be a PITA is that 5 am end time for you. However, since eBay listings are in Pacific time, perhaps it's an 8 am start on the West coast afterall.

AG tells me there is more interest on the west coast than here, so I have modified the start time to 8:00am pacific time tomorrow - 11:00am EST.

Note: I prefer not to accept CC payments via PayPal, as eBay forces me to "upgrade" to a commercial account to do so.

Edited by KVOM

Right now folks, I wouldn't count on this auction happening.

KVOM is running into the same problem I did where he has a personal paypal account and doesn't want to update it to accept credit cards. Can't say I blame him after seeing the hit Johnnie took in fees with the credit card payment I received for his coin.

Unfortunitely with a recent change in ebay policies, not only is a credit card accepting PayPal account is a requirement to list a charity auction, it's also required if you mention PayPal as a payment method in your regular auction listings.

Edited by AtlantaGal
Right now folks, I wouldn't count on this auction happening.

KVOM is running into the same problem I did where he has a personal paypal account and doesn't want to update it to accept credit cards. Can't say I blame him after seeing the hit Johnnie took in fees with the credit card payment I received for his coin.

Unfortunitely with a recent change in ebay policies, not only is a credit card accepting PayPal account is a requirement to list a charity auction, it's also required if you mention PayPal as a payment method in your regular auction listings.

Just thinking...

I have seen some auctions that allot less than 100% of the proceeds. Maybe make it a 95% charity auction to cover fees...

Just thinking...

I have seen some auctions that allot less than 100% of the proceeds.  Maybe make it  a 95% charity auction to cover fees...

When I list more later in the month, that's probably what I'll have to do. And I'll explain as much in my listing copy. However, that still doesn't address those sellers that don't want to or won't upgrade their PayPal accounts.

It's a shame really. It seems that most recent eBay policy changes hurt their core seller group. I remember selling on eBay back when it was only computer stuff, pez and beanie babies. Now, with all the corporations listing their closeout and overstock merchandise, eBay is sending a clear message with constant policy changes, that casual, personal sellers don't matter to them. How fast they forget who put them on the map. /shakes head

Edited by AtlantaGal

I had to add PayPal in order to participate in the charity aspect, but I will ask the winner to pay via PayPal bank account or MO.

I certainly want to thank those who have already bid, including pdxmarathonman for the current high bid.

I am not worried about the fees for this one auction; I just don't want to have to "upgrade" :lol: my account just for this one, mainly because I'm a buyer on eBay much more than a seller.

I am not worried about the fees for this one auction; I just don't want to have to "upgrade" :lol: my account just for this one, mainly because I'm a buyer on eBay much more than a seller.

Just so you know, you can upgrade your account for a few weeks and then tell them you think it sucks and they'll put you back into a personal account. That's what I plan to do after Xmas at any rate. And it's the truth too, those fees suck! :lol:

My charity auction just ended with a very generous bid of $710.01.

Thanks to the winner (abbywolfe) and also the underbidder pdxmarathonman.

Thanks for generously offering the coin for a good cause! From my perspective, I made a nice donation to Habitat for Humanity, an excellent group, and happened to get a cool geocoin in return.

I feel a bit guilty at snatching it out from under pdxmarathonman, tho, I know he also wanted it badly. But now that f0t0m0m and I are out of the way, someone just needs to offer up a third, and running boy might take the prize. :P

Is this the top price to date for a geocoin purchase? Just wondering if I hold some sort of temporary record. :P

Is this the top price to date for a geocoin purchase? Just wondering if I hold some sort of temporary record. :P

Yes. Both Lacy coin auctions are the highest prices paid for a geocoin through ebay with the one you won being the highest. I believe that the MIFO Fall coin is the one in 3rd.

Don't worry about that silly running dude. I'm going to do my best to help him out somehow down the road.