Spoiler Photos On Pdas

is it any good?

Yes

do people use it?

Yes

am i cheating?!

Yes :P

But it's up to you, I use it as a last resort when I have pulled all my hair out, and if you knew me, you would know that is very hard

Milton (aka Moote)

tizersuprizer_3021973.jpg

Edited by Moote
How many caches do you come acrosss that actually have spoiler photos? Around me, I don't know of any.

I've only had to resort to a spoiler photo once and of course I didn't have it downloaded and was in an area where it was impossible to get mobile reception to retrieve it. I had to log a DNF and that cache has bugged me ever since. I have it on my watchlist and it's been found loads of times since :P

Of course it's 213km from home so I can't go and try again too easily :P

How many caches do you come acrosss that actually have spoiler photos? Around me, I don't know of any.

And, in fact, when Spoiler Sync runs on my local GPX file with 1200+ caches, it finds no spoilers.

What would be nice is to have the option to get *any* photo associated with a page.

Plenty - dozens out of my nearest 450 unfound. Just remember that not every spoiler photo on cache pages will be called "SPOILER". I download all cache page images apart from "NOT A SPOILER" types, and find it useful from time to time. I think this is doing what you are asking with your "it would be nice" comment.

I don't think that images associated with logs on a cache page are downloaded though, but that suits me.

I've found a handful of caches where the spoiler photo is really the only clue to the cache whereabouts (e.g. the infamous Fossil Transfer) as the coordinates are a bit off, the hint useless and a thousand hiding places exist nearby. Spoiler Sync has been the saviour on several occasions, as you can't always be sure which cache will need it - I always get the photos for all caches I'm planning to visit although I seldom use them. I don't regard it as cheating if it's used as a last resort. Sometimes it reveals that you're looking in the correct place but the cache has gone.

Obviously, those caches which are designed to be hard to spot but have accurate hints and coordinates generally don't have spoiler pictures.

HH

GASK works on your PC and yes GPX Sonar is for a PDA.

GPX Sonar only runs on a PDA using Windows Mobile (otherwise known as a Pocket PC).

Active Sync is a program that sits on your PC and allows the Pocket PC to synchronise with the PC and backup/update your email/calander/task list/etc.

If you intend to purchase a Palm OS PDA then I think Cachemate is the alternative to GPXSonar.

You should also bear in mind that the version of GPX Sonar that works with Spoiler Sync only runs on Pocket PC 2003. Worth checking if you are buying second hand.

Good point. :P

I seem to remember a discussion a while ago about purchasing a CD upgrade to 2003 a few months ago and IIRC the cost was about $35 approx. Still worth bearing in mind though as it all adds to the cost.

You should also bear in mind that the version of GPX Sonar that works with Spoiler Sync only runs on Pocket PC 2003. Worth checking if you are buying second hand.

Just bought a HP IMAQ rz 1710, but not from the Chinaman on ebay :P

always seems to take me a while to advance in science , I like to see how the products fair up on the market and need to do a lot of reading up first. thats where this forum comes in handy for the know how tips, a lot of know it alls on here :P many thanks to you all

Nige

Good luck Nigel with your new toy.

Don't forget to keep everything backed up as they are prone to crash and do a hard reset from time to time - well mine does and usually at the most inconvenient time like when you have just set out on a walk and was relying on the PDA for mapping! The backup would not have helped then but at least I knew I could recover all the data when I got home. :rolleyes: