Benchmark - The Geocoin

PassingWind

It's a travel bug !! Just like any Geocoin you would find in a cache and log on GC.com

The benchmark paperweights and pins are cool objects. We can display/wear them.

However, during the recovery of over 400 benchmarks, I have yet to see a place to hide a coin. :rolleyes:

Moreover, since twenty to forty years can pass between visits to a benchmark (see table below), I don't think I'll live long enough to see a coin move even once! I'll pass on this offer, thanks.

-Paul-

Results from a search on October 4, 2005:

FY0270. Monumented 1918. Last visit 1978. Currently missing/destroyed.

FY0267. Monumented 1918. Last visit 1985. Now leaning to north.

FY0269. Monumented 1918. Last visit 1978, after a Not Found in 1970. Found okay.

FY1734. Monumented 1978. No recoveries till yesterday.

And (tah DAH!)

FY0176. Monumented 1932. Last visit 1934. Successfully recovered by GEOCAC yesterday!

They are sold as Travel bugs, but many people buy them just to collect. The TB option raises the collecabilty. The cost is about double what it takes to produce, most seem to run in the $5 range. Some even log thier travels to various caches with a TB, don't think that works for the benchmarks.

This group is hitting a niche market and making a few dollars as well.

can you buy them without being a member of the  "club"?

No,

I just sent an e-mail to the designer of the coin.

And he repiled they are only available through the coin club.

You can go to their forum and maybe find that someone will trade.

I am going to try and get a couple somehow myself.

I am working on that now.

Check into the "Geocoin Discussions" thread and look for something on trading.

Benchmark.jpg

This Benchmark coin was the reason I joined the Geocoin Club. Mine arrived in the mail last week. It is, most definitely, a very cool coin! And you are right, it's trackable on Geocaching.com. But I will not be placing this coin in any cache. It is a personal geocoin and will travel with me to events and caches. I will invite people I meet along the way to log it, so it's log will be a nice history of events I have attended and people I have met.

Amazingly, I heard that these Geocoin Club coins are already selling on Ebay, so I search for the Benchmark coin... and there it is... current asking price... $75.00! :)