Large Trackable Coin Orders

AB4N

I am interested in hearing other group stories on how they handle their coin orders as far as applying activation codes.

When the TN geocoins came in they were in no particular order, making the task of applying activation code stickers consume a large chunk of time. I have heard that some coin clubs will do this for you, and details on this option are welcome. But I would like to hear other ideas on how this has been or could be handled as well.

Here is the process I used:

First I saved the activation codes provided by Groundspeak as a .csv file which I opened in a spreadsheet and sorted alphabetically by tracking number.

Then I created a dBase III file and pasted these into it, after that used Avery Design Pro to print the labels in alphabetical order.

Next I printed the entire list of activation codes, about fifty per page and spread these across a table. I then proceeded to take the coins one at a time and sort them onto their respective pages creating smaller subgroups of coins in a very loose order.

Finally, I took the groups one at a time and coins one at a time, found the appropriate sticker, and attached it to the plastic coin holder. This was a very laborious job, and I paid out several large pizzas to get my 16 year old to help me.

The first obvious answer is to get more help; dividing the piles between more people would have shortened the time considerably. Besides this point I would like to hear other ideas.

Just a comment. Coins that are unactivated but valid could lose the ability to be trackable once the automated way to get the activation code is removed. There is no reason to think that the EU page, or any other will remain around as long as GC.com.

Unactivated coins are more collectible than activated coins, but the potential to activate it for the first time is what makes them more collectable.

So, thanks for those who take the time to put the activation code with the coin.

Just a comment.  Coins that are unactivated but valid could lose the ability to be trackable once the automated way to get the activation code is removed.  There is no reason to think that the EU page, or any other will remain around as long as GC.com.

Unactivated coins are more collectible than activated coins, but the potential to activate it for the first time is what makes them more collectable.

So, thanks for those who take the time to put the activation code with the coin.

I agree with that.

Although automated systems are very usefull, and could save a lot of time, there is no guarantee that they will be there forever.

when working with stickers, I think AB4N's method is usefull.

Edited by team simpson
Just a comment. Coins that are unactivated but valid could lose the ability to be trackable once the automated way to get the activation code is removed. There is no reason to think that the EU page, or any other will remain around as long as GC.com.

One could argue that the owner of a coin should retreive the activation code immediately upon receipt of the coin. Whether the coin is activated or not is another issue.

In any case, you have a very valid point about off-site coin validation. You can contact GC.com and request the activation # from them if it is lost, so at least people have some sort of fall back.

What we did for the NJ coins.

Sort the coins by first letter (after the NJ)

sort the labels the same way

Get lots of help

it's a pain in the butt, but it makes it easier for the user.

In cases where you use a site to dispure the tracking numbers, i try to get the codes for all my coins and write them on a slip of paper and put it in the coin sleve

Dave

If people would get retrieve the activation code when they get their coins the problem would be largely resolved.

Placing coins into the geocoinclub.com database is free and if you have ever personally applied activation codes (I have done many) it is worth every cent!

I take your point. But I have a long lease on my website, and am not planning on taking the tracking code page down at any time in the future. Each coin will be shipped with instructions on how to retrieve the code, and advice to do it as soon as the coin is received and write it on the plastic pocket that the coin comes in.

What prompted me to adopt this method was when I heard the the coins don't come in number order. It might not be the most ideal way of doing things, but I'm only in the US a few days and I'd really like to do some caching while I'm there and not spend all day in a hotel room sorting coins and labels. :unsure:

Alex.

When a person retrieves the activation code from your site does it save that information to your db. that way you know who has and who has not retrieved the codes. I think that would be cool to be able to know who has what coins. Then you will know if the groups are truly buying for themselves or for resale on ebay :lol:

Retrieving the code does not activate the coin, and I know if you contact gc that they will send it to you after waiting for a period of time.

When a person retrieves the activation code from your site does it save that information to your db. that way you know who has and who has not retrieved the codes. I think that would be cool to be able to know who has what coins. Then you will know if the groups are truly buying for themselves or for resale on ebay :lol:

Retrieving the code does not activate the coin, and I know if you contact gc that they will send it to you after waiting for a period of time.

I did consider requiring the ordering email address to be entered when the code was requested, then I thought, well it's none of my business what people do with the coins once they have them.

For instance, should someone trade one, then they would have to use the buyers email address to unlock it. That wasn't going to work.

So my system is simple. If you have the coin, you know the coin code and you know the coin number. So you can unlock the coin. We calcualted that it would take three days to try to crack a code for a coin you don't have in your posession, so I think it is OK.

After all, this is still only a game. Isn't it?????? :lol:

-