*.loc Files

Dmacnise

Hi - I'm new to this, just found my 1st cache this weekend. Looking around this site, I see that one can download .loc files for hidden caches.

My question (before I trash my unit) is if I can download .loc files to my Garmin Rino 130.

I haven't, so far, been able to find this information in my Garmin manuals. I looked at the Garmin Etrex manual as well (this site gives recommendations for that unit) and it states the same as the Rino - basically that no other maps except Garmin's can be downloaded to the unit. Obviously the .loc file isn't a map but there is no mention of these files in Garmins manuals that I couls find.

Thanks for any help!

I'm not familiar with your particular unit, but if it has a comm port (Serial/USB) you can get programs like EasyGPS or GSAK that will load the *.loc files into GPSr unit. And yes you do need a program that will run on PC that will accept the .loc files and translate it and export it into GPSr. These programs will also export the data from GPSr so you can edit it or archive it in PC.

Dale

The GPS units use their own proprietary "files" to store coords in their units. It's the software you use that will convert these .loc/.gpx/.gdb/.mps, etc... files into units the GPS will read and accept.

EasyGPS and GSAK are the two most popular "independent" software programs that use .loc and .gpx files. MapSource uses .gdb and .mps. Magellan will use it own. Whatever software program you choose has a list of GPS' it supports. My EasyGPS program supports up to Rino 130. For GSAK, you may have to check the website 'cause I couldn't find the right drop down field to see what it supports. It only says it don't yet support Garmin 2610.

So, the short answer is download EasyGPS; it's free and very user friendly. GSAK has much more features, but I would recommend it only to advance users. Plus, it's not free.

Good luck.