Gpsmap 60cs, Usb Connector Pulling Out Again!

Go JayBee

Had this "fixed" once already....15 months ago. Garmin gave me another RMA though, and said it was under warranty. However, when I asked the Support Tech if there was a known manufacturing defect concerning the USB Connector, he replied that mine was the first he had heard about. Ya, sure.

I guess I'm going to have to use the Serial type connector when driving from now on. It has a much better design as far as the angle of the cable releative to the GPSr.

I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had this same problem with the USB Connection point. It would be good to make a list to send to Garmin's Tech Support.

Sure have. Except mine is the 60C. When I asked about it, I got the same response. They told me I was one of only two people who had this happen. At least they covered it under warranty.

It's your typical response to a problem that 9000 people before you have had. I get the same run around at my Honda dealer with my car.

Is it me, or does Garmin have a lot of stupid problems? USB connectors pulling out, rubber gaskets coming off, displays spazing out. Between my Legend and my 60C, i've seen it all.

Ive been aware of this since I bought the Map60C back in Feb 2004, so I gently wiggle the Mini USB cable out of the tiny USB socket on the back of the GPS.

Do not force it straight out with one hard pull, this will break the socket loose.

I agree, you need to avoid what I call "Hulk Hoganing" the connector, but I had been extremely careful about that since it was repaired the 1st time (15 months ago).

I just don't care for the way the connector is situated when you have the GPSr in the windshield mount. The cable has to double-back to reach the laptop, which I think puts undo torque on the internal pc board. If the connection were situated so the cable came out the bottom of the unit that might be better. Of course if they used a larger connection, that would better too.

Just had this happen to my out-of-warranty GPSmap 60CS (after 6 months of use), and found this old thread. Sorry to hear others had this problem, but relieved I'm not the only one. Gives me some history for when I discuss it with the Garmin folks.

Any updates on this issue from anyone? Garmin 'fessed up to manufacturing defects or anything? (Yeah, right.)

Never been a problem with either my Map60Cx or my older Map60C, since I always only used the USB cable on the Desktop only, but I use the serial/power cable at other times, and that can be hard to pull out of it's socket, when I need to remove the GPS from the car. I learned how delicate these sockets can be with my other gadgets I have, but never really had a problem with a socket coming loose.

Just had this happen to my out-of-warranty GPSmap 60CS (after 6 months of use), and found this old thread. Sorry to hear others had this problem, but relieved I'm not the only one. Gives me some history for when I discuss it with the Garmin folks.

Any updates on this issue from anyone?

Update: Garmin is going to fix my GPS as a warranty repair. Yippee!