Ebay Scam

Since joining in on a recent thread about the good old yellow etrex, I had a look at Ebay to see how much they were going for.

I was surprised to see a series of ebay adverts showing new boxed ones being sold very cheaply (under 19 pounds) and became interested.

The Scam Ebay Advert

However, I looked closely at the sellers feedback and also other items from the same seller and it is definitely a scam. The seller appears to be from China and at least two buyers have been taken in by this and another advert and have paid up and lost money without of course receiving any goods.

The adverts i saw from this seller were all for the Garmin Etrex but I am sure that this scammer is adverting other GPS units as well as completely different items.

So beware, if it looks to good to be true, it probably isn't! <_<

Hmmm does look rather sus. The feedback comments are in very broken english and most of the names supplying feedback seem to be random letters similar to the sellers!

"Very good,you are a good buyer!" - I think he means seller ;)

"a good seller, i want to make friend with him in the furture" - oo er <_<

However, a chap at work was saying that a local LiDL store were selling GPSr's for around £19. Probably sold out by now and he didn't know what make they were. Might be worth looking into though if anyone's near a LiDL.

It would be really easy for ebay to write an anti-fraud application to monitor this sort of feedback loop and feedback-free accounts. It's a shame they haven't put the effort into their customer's protection and satisfaction.

Given the massive use of eBay my feeling is that there is remarkably little fraud, and this one is so obvious that I would have thought that a simple application of Caveat Emptor, along with 'There ain't no such thing as a cheap, let alone free, lunch' would be sufficient to make trying to run a scam just not worth the effort.

The Lidl digital compass I have seen (£12.99) is very heavy, doesn't point North even when recalibrated regularly, has no way of recording a bearing so you can follow it, and bearings are only meant to be accurate to 5 degress anyway. In all, it does none of the things a compass half the price would do.

I bought a digital compass from aldi £9.99...I quickly realised it was not worth the money in comparison with a normal compass

Out of interest I clicked on JohnnyMuscles who gave three negative feedbacks - he's been well and truly flamed by our Chinese friend. Just off to clean the tea out of my keyboard.

How does one person give that many bad feedbacks? I thought you had to actually buy an item from someone to give them feedback.

Out of interest I clicked on JohnnyMuscles who gave three negative feedbacks - he's been well and truly flamed by our Chinese friend.  Just off to clean the tea out of my keyboard.

How does one person give that many bad feedbacks? I thought you had to actually buy an item from someone to give them feedback.

Quite easily in this case. he tried to purchase three different things!

:P

Just to redress the balance in this thread a bit....

My son was recently the victim of a duff seller on Ebay. Bid for, and paid for, a new mobile phone....which never turned up. :P After waiting patiently for 10 days he saw that two other disappointed buyers had left neg feedback so he then realised he'd been had. :P So he went through the Ebay procedures for reporting "item paid for, never received". Within a month he'd had all his money back - £105 from the Ebay protection cover, the rest of the balance from his credit card (which he'd used to make the payment). B) Mrs B

Edited by The Blorenges

OK! if digital compasses from lidlls is a bad thing, why does mine work fine!

I can even tell how hot I am while I hunt for the caches! :unsure:

I suppose we all rely on modern technology too much, after all what is wrong with a pin on a cork in a bowl of water to see where north is! OR, knowing the moss only grows on the north side of trees?

Scouts! they have all the answers! :unsure::blink:

Just to redress the balance in this thread a bit....

My son was recently the victim of a duff seller on Ebay. Bid for, and paid for, a new mobile phone....which never turned up. :unsure: After waiting patiently for 10 days he saw that two other disappointed buyers had left neg feedback so he then realised he'd been had. :unsure: So he went through the Ebay procedures for reporting "item paid for, never received". Within a month he'd had all his money back - £105 from the Ebay protection cover, the rest of the balance from his credit card (which he'd used to make the payment). :blink: Mrs B

I do think you were very very lucky to get your money back... I've been done on eBay to the tune of £26. eBay didn't want to know. I kissed that money goodbye...

There was a seller I dealt with. HE started off good. Selling items cheap, delivery OK. Then he went bad. Took hundreds of pounds of many many people from all over Europe and people never got thier goods. He ran that scan for a couple of months before being banned. I doubt if many of those poeple ever got their money back...

OK! if digital compasses from lidlls is a bad thing, why does mine work fine!

I can even tell how hot I am while I hunt for the caches! :unsure:

Good point - I had forgotten the built in thermometer! :-)

Does yours show bearing only to 5 degress or is it better than that? It seems strange that the one I saw allowed you to input magnetic variation to half a degree, but then only shows all bearings in five degree increments!

Good point - I had forgotten the built in thermometer! :-)

Does yours show bearing only to 5 degress or is it better than that? It seems strange that the one I saw allowed you to input magnetic variation to half a degree, but then only shows all bearings in five degree increments!

best part of it, but as a compass it takes good bearings of rubbish bins

Ive bought laods of things on E Bay (including motorbikes) & *touch wood* everything has gone ok. But as usual, its the minority that spoil it for the rest of us. :blink:

I also bought my GFPS from E Bay, I only wanted a ikkle cheap one, so decided on a Garmin 101, but they were still over £100 at the time. I managed to get a brand new boxed one for £50 from a chap in Plymouth, it didnt take long to arrive, but imagine my horror when it turned up having been posted in the US, & the customs document on the front of the package read "Used GPS"!!! :unsure:

What he had done,was that he obviously had friends in the US that could buy them & send them out cheaper than he could get them, & to get round paying the tax, they said it was used...Eeeek, I bet I could have got done if it had been checked at the sorting office! :unsure:

Seren.

This doesn't seem to be a scam but may amuse some people......

Another Ebay Advert

:o:P:P

Thanks for that, twas finished when I got there so dotted a quickie off to the seller and he put it back on a "buy it now" for me, and said I could have two for the price of one.

Oh yes, of course I know tis a blow up beach ball thingy with a globe on, just what I have been looking for to use in a fundraising venture!

:lol::lol::lol: