1st Coin Attempt

markandlynn

You need a certain amount of spacing between the coin edge and any artwork/text. Not sure the exact measurement, but I can tell your art is too close to the coin edge as it is now.

You also want the text to be separate from the image on the backside. Text would be raised metal and it would interfear with any graphical design it touches/overlaps.

Edited by AtlantaGal

One thing you need to keep in mind is that if you have color applied to your coin it has to be contained by a little outline (a dam if you will) of metal. So everything you have in color will actually be a little larger or smaller to conatin the color.

It might help you visualize the design better if you would redo the graphic to reflect the color of the metal and where it's going to be. It's time consuming but it's a real big help just to get your mind wrapped around it.

You should also know that every color is a different charge with most manufacturers. You've got at least 9 colors in this drawing. That's going to bring the price of your coin up. A lot of nice things can be done with background color and raised metal so consider making things like the 4 images on the one side of the coin raised metal but divided into 4 blocks with diffrent background colors. You could use those same colors on the kids on the flip side.

What I would suggest....and no one can tell you how to put your coin together...I'm just tossing out an idea....

On one side have the three kids in raised metal with a background color (ask your manufacturer if you can blend colors on one surface...like a blended rainbow effect if you'd like a lot of color on it) , make an outer ring that contains the words "all five of us running along" in raised metal with a background color if you like, and your caching name or address below the kids so it looks like they're running on the words. Maybe even slant the words to make it look like it's got motion.

On the flip side use the 4 blocks you've got drawn but use raised metal to represent the different items. Divide the blocks and fill in the background with the colors you used on the kids. You don't really need your address again since it's on the other side of the coin. Also have an outer ring on this side and use the beautiful little leaves as filler all around the outer ring.

This configuration gives you more space on the 4 block side to put more wording in the outer ring if you'd like. Maybe pick a saying that your group says over and over and put that at the top of the coin then divide it at the side with two or three raised metal leaves and put your names at the bottom.

Good luck with your coin! You'll know it when it's right.

Surely don't mean to wax negative - indeed, I think you have a lovely notion going there, but...

Is it just me or - why only _3_ of you running along - when you distinctly say "five of us"?

I realize you likely mean your 3 kidlets plus 2 parents I suppose, but... on the surface, it just seems incongruous to boldly state "five" and see only 3.

Take the front of the coin. Draw a black line around the outlines. That's the metal lip (dam in the post above) that needs to exist to contain the color. That limits the detail you can get in an outline but probably not beyond what you already have. alternately you can depress the outlines of your kids in the metal itself. You wouldn't have a lip but it also sets how the rest of your coin might look. A lip/dam would let you do white around your figures. Or the white could represent the base metal.

Next think about your website. You can do that in raised metal, or have it depressed. If the metal is all higher because your figures are depressed then the website would be depressed as well.

Ditto on the leaves. If you have the white background then the Blue Ring that defines the edge of the coin becomes raised metal to give a boundary to the white.

The same though process applies to the back of the coin.

You can also ignore everthing I just said if you go with full color inlays. Then you are not adding a color like pouring in a mold. The inlay has all the color like print in a magazine (The Front of the Idaho coin is like this).

Your coin maker can help you figure out what you can and can't do for any process you choose to make the coin by. It could be that money drives it and the entire coin is going to be metal with no color. You can still do the coin and have it look like your graphic, but then the art becomes 2D and a combination of raised and lowered areas of the coin.

Sorry if I mutilated any coin terms.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that if you have color applied to your coin it has to be contained by a little outline (a dam if you will) of metal. So everything you have in color will actually be a little larger or smaller to conatin the color.

Some coin companies say you can have unlimted color and some companies say you can have a set number of colors, then they charge you for each color over that set number

If you drop the square border on the back

Could'nt match the colours on this pc :ph34r: imagine it's all the same colour of grey metal :lol:

Yes and no on the metal color. The raised metal will all be the same though. The color will be the same throughout, but there can be a polished metal on one level and a granulated (i.e. dull) finish on the other.

If you drop the square border on the back

Could'nt match the colours on this pc :ph34r: imagine it's all the same colour of grey metal :lol:

I don't think I'm making myself real clear with what I'm trying to say anyway. So let me try again...

The raised metal for the square image and the text on the back of the coin, are a tad too close to one another. You'll need some spacing in there or else those images will look like they overlap.

It's also close on one of the leaves on the front side and the little girls hair AND your web addy and the other leaves. Reducing the size of those leaves just a touch should fix that tho.