Magellan Explorist 400 Help

jcak1979

I am sorry to have to ask this here and I am hoping that I am just being silly, but kind of new to the whole GPS world and was hoping maybe someone could help me out. I uploaded a "point of interest/waypoint" into my Magellan but how do I make it so it maps a goto for me. I clicked on the GOTO button and found the file but that is as far as I can get. Am I just being silly? I really hope that someone can help me because I would love to do more geocaching but am kind of stuck right now with this new unit. Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it

AMY

okay... "let out a frustrating sigh" i am a new owner of a magellan explorist 400. and i am not new to GPS, my last unit was a Etrex legend. My biggest problem is transferring files from the geocache manager to the memory (internal or SD). when i call up the file, it's there, but i cannot for the life of me make it a GOTO waypoint. i get to the very end of the file which is SD/Geocaching/Corridinate(the file i downloaded)i select the file, i press enter, and nothing. I noticed that the file is saving as a .gs file, but doesn't it need to be a .LOC or a .GPX file? i've read the referance manal many times, and magellan isn't to clear on using the geocache software that comes with it. i like the unit, but it has become one giant headache to figure out how to use files i save to it. do i need to convert the file in the conversion software that came with the unit? if so, how the hell do i use it? no mention anywhere that i have to convert files from the geocach program? like i said i really like the unit, but if i can't get the dadgum thing figured out, i'm going to exchange it for another garmin, seems like a real pain to deal with. any information would be greatly appricated :)

PS. and why can't i format the SD card using the unit? i read that other magellans can format the card? i don't have the option to do so :o:) :) B) B) B)

you posted this in 2 different threads, once here and once in the buglist. I'll answer it here plus the other questions you had.

I'm not sure about your geocaching software but one thing for sure is that its full of bugs and not very user friendly or useful at all. Many people have been using GSAK as it is truly a must have for any serious geocacher.

As far as your formatting question. If you erase all thats on your card in a card reader I believe the GPS will auto format it and recreate the default folders.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Hi,

this may not be your problem, but I have an explorist 500 and when I use the Geocache manager to download waypoints (works great by the way) - it will automatically put them on an SD card if one is in the unit. However, when you choose GO TO on the unit it defaults to the internal memory so after you go to all the trouble of selecting, geocaching points, etc. you then have to hit enter at "go up one level" until you get to the choice of the SD card or Internal Memory and choose the SD card and then go all the way down again to get to the waypoints. A pain, but after a while you get used to it.

Hope this helps.

-- carol

If you go to preferences menu and then to the active setup menu you can set which POI file, which geocache file, which detailed map and so on should be active. That way you can set the active geocache file being the file on your sd-card. Then, if you press goto POI or geocache it should go to the activated file.

I understand that you shouldn't do too much on your internal memory because of problems with the unit locking up indefinitely if there is bad data or too much data in the internal memory.

But maybe I do not understand your problem.

Regards,

Arjen

Edited by arie1

thank you all for your help but i'm sending the mageelan back to the shop and trading it in for a garmin etrex legend C. B) maybe there is a problem with the 400 unit, but i'm not pacient enough to wait for a "fix it up" (firmware, throwing it againt the wall watching it smash to bits, etc :P ). i had pretty good sucess with my garmin etrex legend in the past, only reason i went with magellan is for routing by turn and i liked the fact that it had a SD card. I found that it is not very user friendly, and the file structure is VERY tidious. magellan would have a real good product if it was more user friendly. overall i was just disatisfied with the magellan explorist 400. :P