Shelter Ii

Bad Majec

With regards to this cache. It' been brought up by someone wanting to know why we're writing notes and not DNFs. My comment was that we have reported DNFs...several. How many DNFs do you NEED to list on one place. Wouldn't it be redundant to log more than 3? Is there a higher being keeping track of how many DNFs we have? Does it go against our Geocaching record?

What are your thoughts?

With regards to this cache. It' been brought up by someone  wanting to know why we're writing notes and not DNFs. My comment was that we have reported DNFs...several. How many DNFs do you NEED to list on one place. Wouldn't it be redundant to log more than 3? Is there a higher being keeping track of how many DNFs we have? Does it go against our Geocaching record?

What are your thoughts?

It's no more redundant than entering the lottery 10,000 times before you win it. I have logged at least five DNFs on two caches; without a little help from a partner, I would have had more.

No, DNFs don't go against your geocaching record. Actually, it's quite difficult for anyone to see all the DNFs a cacher may accumulate; there's not a category or a list where you can view them. Usually, you won't know about a cacher's DNFs unless you inspect the individual cache pages, so unless the cacher has subsequently found that particular cache (placing it on his found list), you may never know what caches have been unsuccessfully sought.

Think of your DNFs as a record of history.

There is no shame or redundancy in DNF. :unsure::unsure:

Can someone post pictures of the signs that are posted on the shelter? It looks like there is a sign visible on the left of the photo on the cache page. I'm suspicious of the words "Lung Cancer", and think that this may be related in some way to the signs at the shelter. If this is an offset cache, then all folks are really looking for will be a set of numbers that specify the offset...thoughts?

Thanks for your thoughts. I'd hate to tell you what all we HAVE done. Besides burn the place down....you name it...we've done it. There are approximately 500 bolts in the shelter and everyone of them has been taken off. Every crack that we can reach has been proded or poked. Every bit of gum has been removed from under the picnic table. Wood bee holes have been poked. I could go on and on....but keep sending the suggestions, it only takes one!! :bad:

Edited by Bad Majec

CONGRATS to 4damfam!!! I now humbly take deep bows for entertaining the idea the cache was a hoax or questionable at the least. (Although I do think the red herring(s) that IMM placed did diminish the integrity of the cache) Surely this will go down as a legendary event/cache/find in the caching community. Looking foward to reading the FTF log.

Edited by Bill & Tammy

HERE'S 4DamFam's FTF LOG FOR SHELTER II........

4damFam found Shelter II (Traditional Cache) at 10/14/2005

Log Date: 10/14/2005

FTF. Wow, thank you IMM! What a blast!!

When I found the cache my heart was pounding so hard...then I realized that I had to take it, sign it, and then replace it without anyone else knowing. It took several minutes, but I did it.

After making the announcement several minutes later I was wondering if I was going to make it home alive.without giving a hint. I help up okay through the torture. Fortunately for me, some geo-muggles arrived before the other cachers could string up the noose! [:(]

Happy Birthday BadMajec.I wish I could have let you sign the log for your birthday. Doobies, thanks for being such a gentleman and giving me the FTF prize.

It was a pleasure meeting everyone tonight and seeing lots of friends at the 'non-event' event and I look forward to future caches that bring us all together!

I've already said it several times on the listing and in emails, but I will say it again here, congrats 4damfam on getting the 'bragging rights' on getting this FTF!

I've also said this several times on the listing and in emails, thank you IMM for providing so much fun for all of us.

I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to remove 'Shelter II' from my watchlist, not just yet.

Was nice to meet so many fellow cachers at the shelter tonight, so many faces, so many user names, so many real names. My apolgies to all if and when we meet in the field again and I don't remember your name. :( I'm terrible with names but never forget a face.

I hope 4damfam can get some sleep tonight! If it were me that got the FTF, I wouldn't sleep all night! :(

Goodnight

Jaypit

I've got bad news people. I BROKE MY GPS RECEIVER! ARRGGGGGGGGG! Looks like I'm out of commision for awhile. I know this has nothing to do with Shelter II, but I had to vent somewhere. Will be shipping a little box to Magellan Monday. I hope they can fix it for cheap because I can't afford a new one right now. I need a drink, goodnight. B):D:oB)

Hello from Wales, UK - I just wanted to add my thanks to all involved in this long-running Saga of Shelter II: I really enjoyed getting up each morning, munching my way through breakfast while scrolling through 30+ logs of your day's adventures! Thanks to IMM, Congrats to 4damfam, Congrats to all those searchers who kept their sense of humour throughout, and thanks to those who kindly posted pics so that the "Watchers from Afar" could see some of the action. I'll now drop off the watch list but I'll be keeping a distant eye on this cache just to see how it goes in the coming weeks. Mrs B

I've got bad news people. I BROKE MY GPS RECEIVER! ARRGGGGGGGGG! Looks like I'm out of commision for awhile. I know this has nothing to do with Shelter II, but I had to vent somewhere. Will be shipping a little box to Magellan Monday. I hope they can fix it for cheap because I can't afford a new one right now. I need a drink, goodnight. :mad::mad::mad::D

You don't need a stinkin' GPS :D I did my first 35 without one, including a FTF.

Oh and the new Shelter II hint: Just how tall is an oompa loompa anyway? Wondering if I need to bring a ladder when I come.

And are these Gene Wilder Oompa Loompas, or Johnny Depp Oompa Loompas, or Oompa Loompas as described in the book?

As I am more familiar with the stature of Hobbits I am now searching for a Oompa Loompa to Hobbit conversion table.

Oompa Loompas are about a Brownie taller than a Hobbit. ... or two Fuzzies shy of a dwarf... a mountain dwarf, not a woods dwarf.

This just in.....POPPAGOTH......STF (Second to Find)

Here is IMM's log....

#1. Cold pizza tastes better. It's been scientifically proven. (visit link)

#2. I love root beer too. Hold the root please.

#3. I was able to check on the cache today. Unfortunately mvp_familyplayers did not find the cache.

#4. But there was a second signature in the log.

Congratulations poppagoth.

PS. He's lying about the oompa loompas. I was there and saw a gothy looking fellow in shelter from a distance. There were three distinct smaller shadows in the shelter too. I knew the cache was in danger, but headed off to practice a teleportation spell that I figure would help with caching immensely (I failed). When I returned to the empty shelter I noticed the invisibility spell put on the cache was broken, but was happy to see a well deserved signature in the log.

Oh yea, I recast the invisibility spell.

CONGRATS POPPAGOTH & 4DamFam, too!