Give Us Your Vote - Best Nnj Geocaches

Team Rampant Lion

We want your votes for the best caches in northern New Jersey. At the end of 2005 or early 2006, NNJC will host an event to recognize the winners.

The caches must be located in northern New Jersey (defined as north of Route 78).

All geocachers will be allowed one vote per category.

Each cache can only win one award so put it in the category you think it is most likely to win.

The categories are not intended to differentiate by cache types (regular, micro, mystery, multi,..) these are award categories that all types can compete in.

To vote, click on my profile and send me an email with the categories you want to vote on (you don't have to vote for every category to vote), the name of the cache you are voting for and the waypoint.

For your vote to count, I need your geocaching name to register your vote. We'll post, probably in late November/early December, when we are going to stop accepting votes. In the meantime, use this thread to campaign for yours or others caches that fit these descriptions.

Remember to use this thread to lobby, campaign or shamelessly self-promote. This is all for fun and to PR our best caches so others get out to find them. :)

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

Here are the categories:

NNJC Must Do Cache of 2005 – The stand out cache of the year. New to the crop (2005) and immediately a favorite. Kind of like the MVP of geocaches – had a tremendous and productive season with great popularity.

Best Kids Cache – Caches that best introduce kids to geocaching and get them excited about getting involved. Not too high, not too far, and not too difficult but thoughtfully laid out, imaginative, well stocked and in a great location for the pre-teen cacher.

Best View at the Cache – The cache itself might be secondary to the view, the vista or the scenery. The hide spot is the winner and you have to take pause and soak it in. This photographer’s favorite.

Best Short Hike Cache – The cache that wins this award provides the most complete cache experience – sense of adventure, satisfaction, wonder and challenge in a short hike (less than 1.0 mile RT) format.

Best Long Hike Cache – Maybe better called “the investment cache” as this will take time and commitment. It could be a single cache, multi or series of caches that provides the most rewarding journey. Similar to the Short Hike Cache, this is a complete cache experience – sense of adventure, satisfaction, wonder and challenge in a long hike (greater than 4.0 miles RT) format.

Best Themed Cache – The cache or series of caches that win this award create a theme or persona that begins on the cache description page and carried out through all elements of the hunt. It establishes a creative mindset for the cacher and carries it all the way through execution.

Favorite Event Cache – You want another event like this one – well thought out, organized, creative, and well-attended. People came, had a blast and are looking for a repeat.

Most Physically Challenging Cache – The name says it all, when you go home from this cache you are exhausted. It took your strength, your stamina, your persistence, your willpower and left you with nothing but a totally incredible adventure.

Most Mentally Challenging Cache – The Mensa cache, providing a significant mystery or puzzle to solve. The victory here is an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.

Most Innovative Cache – Most creative hide technique or most creative container. Someone put a lot of time, effort, thought and planning into these hides.

Most Remarkable Location – Not scenic (view) but incredible in natural or physical structure. It is unbelievable that the hider found such a spectacular location. In a cave, hanging over a river, in the middle of a downtown, these hides just amaze you.

Most Awesome Experience Cache – You will remember this cache adventure as long as you live. It was intense, entertaining, invigorating and, of course, memorable. When you speak about a cache adventure, this is the one.

Greatest Phobia Cache – Dark, small, high, critters – need I say more?

Two things. What is the "official" dividing line for northern NJ. Route 78? 80?

Second, can I suggest an additional category: "Best Unknown Cache". A great cache that has fewer than 5 finds this year or an average of 5 or fewer finds a year throughout its life.

Edited by briansnat

Here are my votes as sent to TRL:

NNJC Must Do Cache of 2005 – TRL: Resolution (a little brown nosing :) )

Best Kids Cache – Turtle Back Rock

Best View at the Cache – Windbeam's Windfall

Best Short Hike Cache – Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotteburg

Best Long Hike Cache – Aye Carumba!!!

Best Themed Cache – Project X: Little Green men

Favorite Event Cache – G.O.N.E.

Most Physically Challenging Cache – GC5

Most Mentally Challenging Cache – No vote

Most Innovative Cache – No vote

Most Remarkable Location – The River Styx

Most Awesome Experience Cache – NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache

Greatest Phobia Cache –Edisons Dark Rock

Best Unknown Cache (if that becomes a category) Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotteburg

Edited by briansnat

How about the worst cache--That guard rail micro at the Bergen Mall was designed specifically to be the worst and succeeded in the best sort of way--Still cracks me up, it was hillarious. That hider could simultaneously win the worst cache and the best Micro at one time.

What about that Boonton Picture Cache, that was very very enjoyable.

Both show a fun side, which puts them high on the list.

After reviewing for quite a while, I have come up with my list, (and not voting for any of my own caches, even though Weehawken View has the best view in the state.)..:

Must Do of 2005: Edisons "Grand View"

Best Kids Cache: Castle Park Kids Cache

Best View: Pinwheel Vista

Best Short Hike: Upper Level Delay

Best Long Hike: No Hints Bridges the Gap

Best Themed Cache: the MI6 Series

Favorite Event: Murder Mystery: Tourne Asunder (Rose throws the best events!)

Physically Challenging: Maneater

Mentally Challenging: Notorious

Most Innovative: Then and Now: Boonton, NJ

Most Remarkable Location: Heaven, Hell or Hoboken

Most Awesome Experience: Secaucus Panorama

Phobic: Edison's Dark Rock (and I haven't even done that one yet!)

Unknown (non-sanctioned category): Hilltop Twofer

Worst Cache (do we really want to go here?!?): Bagels & Pizza

Two things.  What is the "official" dividing line for northern NJ. Route 78? 80?

Second, can I suggest an additional category:  "Best  Unknown Cache". A great cache that has fewer than 5 finds this year or an average of 5 or fewer finds a year throughout its life.

The "official" divided line was decided (by your NNJC elected officials) to be Route 78.

I like the Best Unknown Cache submitted by Briansnat so lets add it. I'm not so sure about "Worst" cache for a number of reasons. Although I will accept ideas (in private) about some roasty type awards we might have fun with at the event.

Someone else suggested Best Milestone Cache, definition somewhat self-explanatory.

Also, regarding the question about starting in NJ and ending in NY. The vote was to stay strictly NJ so it wouldn't qualify.

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

NNJC Must Do Cache of 2005 –GCMTZ4 ALCATRAZ

Best Kids Cache- GCK323 Sparta Kids Cache

Best View at the Cache – Old Glory Jr. - NJ Style

Best Short Hike Cache –GCJY8D KVSP History Cache

Best Long Hike Cache –GC276E Helispot

Best Themed Cache –GCMPEC Project X: Little Green Men

Most Physically Challenging Cache – GCMYE7 Maneater

Most Mentally Challenging Cache –GCMVTX Longwood's Humbled Giant

Most Remarkable Location –GC3556 Rutherford View

Most Awesome Experience Cache –GC2039 Alluvial Material

Greatest Phobia Cache –GCJDZF Edisons Dark Rock Cache

Edited by Three Simple Words
Two things.  What is the "official" dividing line for northern NJ. Route 78? 80?

Second, can I suggest an additional category:  "Best  Unknown Cache". A great cache that has fewer than 5 finds this year or an average of 5 or fewer finds a year throughout its life.

The "official" divided line was decided (by your NNJC elected officials) to be Route 78.

I like the Best Unknown Cache submitted by Briansnat so lets add it. I'm not so sure about "Worst" cache for a number of reasons. Although I will accept ideas (in private) about some roasty type awards we might have fun with at the event.

Someone else suggested Best Milestone Cache, definition somewhat self-explanatory.

Also, regarding the question about starting in NJ and ending in NY. The vote was to stay strictly NJ so it wouldn't qualify.

Actually, geographically it should be Rt. 22...

That is where the mountains of Northern NJ give away to the flatlands of Central & South NJ...

Three Simple Words - Thanks a ton for including the Waypoints (hint, hint, nudge, nudge) to others. It made it much easier to enter your votes into the database. :rolleyes:

For those of you who would like a Word Document form to use to collect your votes (outside the Forum), email me and I will send you one.

Also, if you have already voted and come across a new contender in a category that you consider better - you can change your mind. Just email me.

Again, it would also be much preferred if you could email me your votes. Thank you!

A vote from an outsider (I grew up 1/4 mile from Mahwah, NJ a million years ago) who now only visits NJ periodically:

Most Physically Challenging Cache – GCGY04 Devil's Hole

Most Awesome Experience Cache – GCGY04 Devil's Hole

Greatest Phobia Cache - GCGY04 Devil's Hole

Most Fun Cache – GCGY04 Devil's Hole

Forgive me for fabricating the last category!

Wanted to cast a vote for WhereToGoVertigo?!, but it is below Route 78! Darn!

Last weekend added a few new entrants in the Best View category (shameless self-promotion):

Sparta's Best View

Morris Lake Overlook

Sparta Valley View

Based on the leaves color, I would say peak colors will exist the weekend of October 29th. For the three geocachers who post the best Fall photographs from one of these three spots (let's say between now and November 15), I will award a trackable geocoin (state to be determined).

Must Do of 2005: Edisons "Grand View"

Best Kids Cache: Kaptain Kondict's Kids Cache

Best View: Wyanokie Highpoint

Best Short Hike: Secaucus Panorama

Best Long Hike: Coastal Craze Earth Cache

Best Themed Cache: Cauldrons of Courage

Favorite Event: GONE Caching! Regional Event

Physically Challenging: Melvin's Multiple Madness

Mentally Challenging: Notorious

Most Innovative: A Giant Falls at Longwood

Most Remarkable Location: Route 23 Art Gallery

Most Awesome Experience: Bootlegger's Lair --- the dragon!

Phobic: Getting eaten by a Vulture!

Isn't Melvins below the NNJ SNJ line?

Probably --- but i didn't do anything challenging this year above route 78! ;)

Yep, I didn't see a log from you for Maneater or Indefatigable. :D Sheesh, I don't see a log for anyone for Indefatigable (except KBer).

Isn't Melvins below the NNJ SNJ line?

Probably --- but i didn't do anything challenging this year above route 78! :lol:

Yep, I didn't see a log from you for Maneater or Indefatigable. :lol: Sheesh, I don't see a log for anyone for Indefatigable (except KBer).

Indefatigable

Saving it for 200 :lol: - Should be just getting cold around then (I hope)

-dave

Alright, the voting is getting slow so I am adding an incentive. For those of you who submit legit votes in all three categories (Caches, Cachers and Hall of Fame) you will be entered into a drawing for a geocoin prize pack. The prize will include one Hurricane Katrina geocoin, one TRL Bearbait geocoin and one Netherlands geocoin.

70a19392-8df6-4347-a335-fe26f9b6d6bf.jpg

To qualify, you must have your votes in by the end of November 2005. Now get out and VOTE! :cool:

I have a few challenging one's that have been inactive for a while these might end up on these lists if you have time before voting is over.

Touring Franklin and Ogdensburg (GCPZM0)

Huntin' and Fishin' in Hardyston (GCQA7H)

Cache-Ewe-Nuts (GCPVX9)

You Dirty Rat (to be finished and submitted tomorrow)

I do not know most of you because I just started caching on May 18,2005. But Trail Hound, Klizich, and Harry Dolphin have spent hours on these caches.

Edited by CacheHunters42

Your votes are in and most of our categories for both people and caches are decided. There are a few remaining undecided categories. Below are those categories and the caches tied for winning the category so far (others nominated will be highlighted when we have the event).

Help us decide the winners by either posting or emailing me with your single (1) choice for the winning cache in each category of those caches that have made it to the run off.

Must Do Cache of 2005 - Three tied for first; pick one.

* Alcatraz [GCMTZ4] by Trailhound

* Edison's Grand View [GCP8EJ] by treequest

* EPIC 4: Resolution [GCN57G] by Team Rampant Lion

Best Kids Cache of 2005 - Two tied for first; pick one.

* Kaptain Kondits Kids Cache [GCNNCP] by Avroair

* Sparta Kids Cache [GCK323] by Team Rampant Lion

Best Long Hike Cache of 2005 - Two tied for first; pick one.

* Aye Carumba!! [GC4FF5] by Artful Dodger

* No Hints Bridges the Gap [GCB7A1] by Waterboy

Most Mentally Challenging Cache of 2005 - Two tied for first; pick one.

* MI6 Series [MI6.1 = GCJE2X] by Avroair

* Notorious [GCNG1M] by Resolution

Most Remarkable Location of 2005 - Eight nominated; pick one.

* A Mine is a Terrible Thing [GCHTXP] by Briansnat

* Cave at Buttermilk Falls [GCQDM4] by Huntin Hillbillies

* Heaven, Hell or Hoboken [?]

* Quirky Little Spot - Silk City [GCR702] by Packanack

* Route 23 Art Gallery [GC55C9] by Briansnat

* Rutherford View [GC3556] by WWW

* Sierra Bravo Stone Living Room [GC1302] by Skibum

* The River Styx [GCPY3F] by AddedValue

Please help us out with you votes.