2005 Christmas Geocoin / Ornament

Kilted Cacher

christmascoin.jpg

This is the second draft of the new 2005 Christmas Holiday Geocoin. I have requested a small change, but the design should not be affected that much.

This is the first in a series of Holiday Geocoins that will be coming out throughout the next year. Get on board now, or miss out.

I am still working out the issue of tracking on gc.com, so that may change to just a sequentially numbered coin.

The coin will be a 2" coin with a loop (like a keychain loop) so you can attach a hook or ribbon to it and actually hang it on your tree.

The cost of each coin right now will be $8.50 which includes shipping and handling. This is subject to a slight change depending on final design, but should not vary much.

The coins should be available around the second to third week of November.

This coin will be made available to everyone with the exception of those living in Michigan and Texas. They should understand this, since they only offer 'resident only' coins that no one else can get. :)

TO PRE-ORDER:

1) If you are interested in this coin, send an email to christmasgeocoin@gmail.com with the quantity that you'd like (do NOT use the link in my profile)

2) I will respond to confirm your order and send you the PayPal address for payment when the final draft has been posted and coin production begins.

Edited by Kilted Cacher

Ok, not to sound like a Scrooge here, but a Christmas geocoin??? Other than hoping to get that latest and greatest model of GPS for Christmas, what does it have to do with geocaching?

Are the proceeds (or at least a portion of) from this coin being donated to charity?

edit: to correct my typo

Edited by junglehair
Ok, not to sound like a Scrouge here, but a Christmas geocoin???  Other than hoping to get that latest and greatest model of GPS for Christmas, what does it have to do with geocaching?

Are the proceeds (or at least a portion of) from this coin being donated to charity?

Okay, I don't care if I do sound like Scrouge. I agree 100%. What the heck is going on here. I swear the next thing we know there's going to be a trackable aunt Betty's geo-knitting group coin with an ammo box thrown in just to have a vain attempt to make it geocaching related.

I want to add that I'm not saying you shouldn't make your coins, but honestly I think the line between "geocoin" and "coin" has been crossed quite a bit recently.

Edited by Vargseld? ™
Ok, not to sound like a Scrouge here, but a Christmas geocoin???  Other than hoping to get that latest and greatest model of GPS for Christmas, what does it have to do with geocaching?

Okay, I don't care if I do sound like Scrouge. I agree 100%. What the heck is going on here. I swear the next thing we know there's going to be a trackable aunt Betty's geo-knitting group coin with an ammo box thrown in just to have a vain attempt to make it geocaching related.

But you get a Christmas Tree Icon for owning one and another for finding one. :)

But you get a Christmas Tree Icon for owning one and another for finding one. :)

Is this for real? lol!

Seriously, the nay sayers have a point. The best way to kill a hobby is to flood the "market" with too many of something that the original idea is lost along the way. I hope the pace of new non-personal coins slows down to something more reasonable and easier to manage real soon.

Someone asked if they are going to be PC coins. They are not. I am still working out the issue of tracking with Groundspeak, so until I know more I can't say anything else just yet.

I understand some people's frustration with the so-called 'flooding the market' coins, but I believe there is an interest in this type of coin.

Someone asked if they are going to be PC coins. They are not. I am still working out the issue of tracking with Groundspeak, so until I know more I can't say anything else just yet.

I understand some people's frustration with the so-called 'flooding the market' coins, but I believe there is an interest in this type of coin.

Judging from the responses to this thread, us scrooges are in the minority :)

Ok, I have thought about this one. I am sure there will be a few dollars left over after all coins have arrived and shipped. Now, what to do with the money? I could keep it (ahh, capitalism), or I could donate it to a group or organization. I am a volunteer for the Make-a-Wish Foundation here in the Tri-State Area (KY, WV, OH). I can donate all monies made to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

I like the idea. I plan to use one as an FTF prize in a holiday theme cache.

great! now it's more a geocoin, because there's a cache on it.

Would be great to have them trackable on geocaching.com (and you would only need to sell 250 for that, because there are going to be 4 coins)

mailed for 2

It depends upon whether he will be under the organization rules or the personal coin rules. For the personal coin rules, you only need to buy 500 tracking numbers.

[

This coin will be made available to everyone with the exception of those living in Michigan and Texas. They should understand this, since they only offer 'resident only' coins that no one else can get.  <_<

BRAVO! I am thrilled to see some payback. I wonder if the next round of coin offerings in TN, TX and MI will only be to residents who are white male landowners with blue eyes and blone hair?

I love christmas too. It will look good on the tree.

Edited by Phantom_Dog

I sent an email, but I haven't got a paypal invoice yet. <_<

And I think this would be a good x-mas coin:

65666183848080_0.jpg

If you can't read it, it says "Geocacher's Find Smore's". This is on ebay for a ornament. I also collect snowmen at x-mas time.

Edited by ladycacher