Examples For A Newbie?

zeus661

I saw a thread about how newbies make mistakes. I am a newbie and I figured I would wait until I find a dozen or more so I can see how others have hiden them. How about some tips here. List everything but your cords. What your cache is made of, what is in it, size, etc.? Lets here from the pros. The more info the better.

Thanks in advance.

Rural areas with good hiding spots:

use ammo cans, paint over military markings and clearly label the cache(what, who, how)

use camo paint techniques or hide well with grass, sticks, rocks, weeds - take into account how the 4 seasons will change the area of your hide.

Take time to look for possible muggles - nearby houses, trails, overlooks, roads

Is it a scenic or historic area - most cachers appreciate such locations

Urban areas:

Use common sense with location and container - don't create a public safety concern

Micros are more common

label the container well

Generic:

Include logbook, general caching inforation and a writing utensil in your caches

include trades for kids and adults

check for other hides in the area

think vertical - sometimes good hides are above knee level

First find a good spot for your cache. Make sure it has some redeeming value. It might be someplace interesting and/or scenic or maybe just a pleasant walk. It doesn't have to be a breathtaking view, but if you choose a quiet spot along a stream, or a hillside with a nice view, or an interesting historic site, you are already at the head of the class.

Second, chose a quality container of an appropriate size. Make sure its watertight. I can't think of one geocacher who enjoys opening up a container filled with slimy green water and a soaked logbook. Ammo boxes are regarded by most as the best container and are widely available and surprisingly inexpensive. Rubbermaid Seal n Savers (blue rim on lid) are decent, as are Lock n Locks. Waterproof match cases make great micros. Gladware, dollar store and deli plastic containers and film canisters make lousy containers.

Regarding appropriate size, I mean don't place a large cache in a high traffic area. Conversely, many cachers don't enjoy film canisters in the woods so if you can conceal a regular cache with little chance of its accidental discovery, do it.

If you do these two things, your cache is already better than 80 percent of the ones out there.

Some more things. Clearly label your geocache as a geocache and with your contact info if possible. This may (but won't always) prevent the bomb squad from being called out if someone discovers your cache by accident. If you use an ammo box, cover or paint over the military markings.

Stock it with some decent trinkets. You don't have to break the bank, but if its garbage, put it in the trash can, not in your cache.

Consider the hiding place. Is a passerby likely to see it and investigate? Are searchers likely to be noticed? If so, chances are your cache may not last long.

Also consider the impact hunters will have on the area. A durable surface like rock is best. If you see moss, or vegetation that will easily be disturbed by hunters, try another spot.

Edited by briansnat

Brian, as always, has some great advice. I would also try to find out some basic info on your cache site. My first is currently in the approval process, but I went through a few weeks of basic research to find out all I could about the spots history etc. Mine is an aboandoned Fort from the Black Hawk War, or at least the site where it once stood.

I guess what I am trying to say is sell your cache a little. I love a background story or interesting tidbit about the cache I'm going for.

Much better than "here's an interesting stump I found in the woods. Enjoy!"

BTW - when it's approved - TFTC! <_<

Find a good place that isn't too hard to get to, and has a reasonable chance of not getting muggled, and choose a container. I like micro caches and make them out of old film canisters. Make a small logbook, include some info on geocaching, and you're cachin' with the best of them. I disagree with the above post, and say that film canisters can be good micros if you make sure that they will not get wet (like under a lamp post) My first cache is a film can micro.my cache

Edited by snappyh

Don't let anyone tell you a newbie can't make a good cache. If you care enough to post here for advice in the first place, your probably going to put some thought into your placement and be as good as the rest.

Depending on your area a cemetery cache might be the way to go, they aren't visited a lot, usually have parking, and lots of trees to hide a micro in.

Good Luck, welcome to the forums.

I disagree with the above post, and say that film canisters can be good micros if you make sure that they will not get wet (like under a lamp post) My first cache is a film can micro.my cache

If you can find a spot where your cache won't be exposed to weather, nearly any container will work, film canisters included. That being said, I don't think I've ever found a film canister that was dry. Lamp post hides in many areas are the geocaching equivilent of cliche. The first one you find is cool. But when you live in an area where the first thing you do is lift the skirt of a lamp post they get old very fast.

Think of the finder's reaction. I don't think I've ever seen a log that said "Wow, what an awesome parking lot. "I never would have discovered this Wal-mart otherwise".

Go to Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section, camping row, and look for orange mach case. They cost about 89 cents. Their waterproof, small, and you can fit a pencil nub in there.

Put camo tape on it, it's a little obvious if you leave it orange.

Edited by Airmapper

Don't be afraid to take some time in the process. I know the feeling I wanting to get a cache out there quickly and rushing the process. Take your time. Scout out the area, looking for potential problems, such as muggle density, other cache proximity, and stuff like that. I think the type of container will make or break your cache. Spend a little more money or time, you?ll thank yourself in the long run. If you have room for a bigger cache go with an ammo box. These always outlast any type of Tupperware. Camo it well but have it clearly marked as a geocache. Have a nice log book with enough pages and provide a pencil and pen. If you?re going with a mirco use a container with a screw top with a rubber gasket to seal it. Those with snap tops will eventually leak and then you have to fix the problem. If you?re going to be using magnets, use epoxy as your glue not a hot glue gun, these don?t hold up well. If you have cold and snowy winters in your area think, ?will it survive the winter?? Be creative and take some time. Get some caches out there and ask for feedback. You?ll find out what works and what doesn?t. Have fun. Making caches is almost as fun as finding them. Nothing is better then hearing someone thought your cache was neat.

For example, I just set one up using a Nalgene 32 oz wide mouth bottle. Virtually indestructible, waterproof and easy to get things in and out of. I could write on it with a permanent marker. It?s worked great. I let my little brother choose some toys they like to put in it and I put some things I?d like to find as well. Mix it up both kids and adults will be trading. I put it in a pretty, but not as well known area that I thought people would enjoy finding

^^ike

Research local history, talk to land managers. Use a waterproof container (aka Ammo Can). Urban caches should also be checked with land managers.

Do not be under the impression, that because it is small, it is legal on private property. Micros must be approved by the manager.