I Hate Rules As Much As The Next Guy, But...

...I wish a poll could be enabled, once and for all, who wants a test vs. who doesn't.

:blink::D I don’t know who’s keeping count (with 248 replies to this topic), but there are approximately:

•  
  • 61 Positive posts (12 cachers registered less than 6 months ago)

• 133 Neutral or off topic posts (29 cachers registered less than 6 months ago)

• 54 Negative posts (17 cachers registered less than 6 months ago)

• *6 months is a random cutoff (not what I call a newbie)

• **Many multiple posters (including myself) may be included in two or three categories

• ***check here to see how many times you posted to this topic

In my OP, I said:

There should be some qualification process for hiding your first cache. Let’s say, you have to find 10 (arbitrary number) caches, or pass a test or something before you place your first one.

My stance much later in this topic, although the same in principle is slightly different:

I'm not advocating a mandatory test; I am not really suggesting a test. Simply, what I'm visualizing is a mechanism (your idea of a video is excellent) to explain some of the finer techniques and ethics of geocaching, available on this site, and highly visible to anyone listing a cache on this website.

The tutorial available on this site, because of it's lesser priority and visibility, would logically be found after they have been invited to list a cache.

Groundspeak already requires you to check two boxes before submitting a new listing. You must read the guidelines (which are designed to guide you through the approval process), and you must read the terms of agreement (which is mostly a liability statement). It’s easy.

As you continue to navigate through the Hide a Cache page, you discover links to help you if your cache isn’t approved in 72 hours. And then there is a link about how you might place a commercial cache. Only then do you come across a link to the quick tutorial about how do I place a cache.

The mechanism, arguably a good one, is already there. Why would it be such a hurdle to check one more box, confirming that you have read the tutorial (that could easily incorporate a voluntary test) before you can submit your new cache?

:lol::D

Yes, I agree, lets give the Kentuckygirls some icons. :blink::lol:

I've got to hand it to you Sept1c Tank, you know how to start a lively thread, despite my comments about dead equines.

I say the voluntary (possibly interactive) tutorial for placing caches is the best compromise I've heard. But I would not recommend it be mandatory, or even portrayed as such.

Since only 23% of this topic's respondents are caching with an account less that 180 days old, and it would certainly be interesting to hear from more newcomers to our game, I respectfully ask the moderators to move this topic to Getting Started for a week or ten days before returning it to this forum for further discussion if it is warranted.

"Tanks," Richard. :blink::lol:

The getting started forum is not for stuff like this...

Honestly and sincerely, Wander Lost, I don’t understand what stuff (in this topic) you’re talking about, that is not appropriate for Getting Started; I can understand that new cachers may ignore this topic for one reason or another, but that would be a statement in itself.

So be it. The topic will weather out here, in these forums, chock full of thick-skinned, calloused old geocachers. :lol::D:blink:

What about the icon?? :lol: One for passing the test to find one. :D ..and one for passing the test to place one? :blink:

Icons --> Their meaning.

Tadpole = Haven't taken the test.

Frog = Taken it and passed.

Toad = Taken it and flunked

Gator = No test, no way, no how.

Golden Child = There is no test.

The Colinal = The test tastes like chicken.

Homie = We don't need no stinkin tests!

What about the icon??  :)  One for passing the test to find one.  :D ..and one for passing the test to place one?  B)

Icons --> Their meaning.

Tadpole = Haven't taken the test.

Frog = Taken it and passed.

Toad = Taken it and flunked

Gator = No test, no way, no how.

Golden Child = There is no test.

The Colinal = The test tastes like chicken.

Homie = We don't need no stinkin tests!

You forgot snake=no frogs in your yard. :)

Oh and tank-I've seen lots of versions of that acronym, bu what does the 'H' stand for? B)

There is a self-limiting tool built in to our sport, a sort of Geocaching Darwinism, where the crummy caches eventually go away and the outstanding ones flourish. There's a survival of the fittest amongst caches.

I've found the quite opposite. When junky, Walmart parking lot caches start popping up, the better caches get ignored. Why walk 3 miles to find one cache when you can find 3 in one mile?

As the good caches are ignored, their owners often archive them because of lack of interest, while the owners of the junk caches are encouraged by the numerous logs and place more.

...I've found the quite opposite. When junky, Walmart parking lot caches start popping up, the better caches get ignored. Why walk 3 miles to find one cache when you can find 3 in one mile? ...

I don't think it's quite that simple. There is a case to be made for finding 14 caches on the way out of town so you never get to the 3 mile hike. However even if you avoid all the caches getting out of town you now have 14 three mile hike caches you can choose from. Back in the day, there was one and if you were going to do a a cache you had one choice, not dozens of them. Dilution exists even for the nice caches. I can't do them all, and I have to pick and choose.

Darwinism does work on which cache I keep. I've archived far more crap than good.

I've found the quite opposite. When junky, Walmart parking lot caches start popping up, the better caches get ignored. Why walk 3 miles to find one cache when you can find 3 in one mile?

As the good caches are ignored, their owners often archive them because of lack of interest, while the owners of the junk caches are encouraged by the numerous logs and place more.

Easy caches do get more hits, but I dont think people ignore good ones as a result.

Many people put them on their watchlist for later. I would never archive a cache because of lack of interest. If I place a cache, and only one person finds it per year, but really enjoys it, then it is worth it. There are plenty of awesome caches that only get a few hits per year. If people want to ignore them, then it is their loss. Usually it's because of physical limitations anyhow. Cache survival depends on how well it is hid, the quality of the container, and how dedicated the owner is on maintaining it. Usually crappy hides are followed by crappy maintenance and owner apathy.

I'm new - first find was August 8, 2005. I have 132 finds as of today and have placed one cache - GCR096 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f9-968243c0f4a3. Its a .30 caliber ammo can stuffed full of stuff. It was published October 18 and has been found 6 times so far and has received favorable comments from the finders.

I have 3 others ready to hide when I find suitable sites for them. One is a .50 cal ammo can stuffed full, one is a decon container stuffed full, and the last is a 35mm film can with a log, a gold dollar, and a smashed penny I made in Yellowstone. It won't be a simple "stuck in a crack in a tree" hide but rather one I've put some time into constructing. Just because I'm a n00b doesn't mean my hides need to be crappy. I'd rather have a few good caches than a ton of lame ones.

As for a "test" I came here to the forums and to the main Groundspeak pages and read up on what to do and what not to do before I ever got a GPSr. I took to heart the guideline that you should find a variety of caches before hiding any. It only seemed like the responsible thing to do and it certainly was helpful advice. I would have likely welcomed a test if it was merely an informative thing. Why not?

I'm new - first find was August 8, 2005.  I have 132 finds as of today and have placed one cache...

As for a "test" I came here to the forums and to the main Groundspeak pages and read up on what to do and what not to do before I ever got a GPSr. I took to heart the guideline that you should find a variety of caches before hiding any. It only seemed like the responsible thing to do and it certainly was helpful advice. I would have likely welcomed a test if it was merely an informative thing. Why not?

As I stated in my OP, I do appreciate the energy and enthusiasm of new cachers. Welcome, thrak, to the wonderful obsession of geocaching! :D

Your post is refreshing and encouraging. It would be great if more new cachers overviewed our game as you have done, before placing their first caches. The forums are well equipped for this, but unfortunately only a very small percentage of all cachers ever visit them. :unsure::huh:

I'm new - first find was August 8, 2005. I have 132 finds as of today and have placed one cache - GCR096 http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f9-968243c0f4a3. Its a .30 caliber ammo can stuffed full of stuff. It was published October 18 and has been found 6 times so far and has received favorable comments from the finders.

I have 3 others ready to hide when I find suitable sites for them. One is a .50 cal ammo can stuffed full, one is a decon container stuffed full, and the last is a 35mm film can with a log, a gold dollar, and a smashed penny I made in Yellowstone. It won't be a simple "stuck in a crack in a tree" hide but rather one I've put some time into constructing. Just because I'm a n00b doesn't mean my hides need to be crappy. I'd rather have a few good caches than a ton of lame ones.

Good point. But should a person who goes out and finds 250 micros in one day have any more "experience" to hide caches than a perso with 100 finds that all required a lot of time and effort?

The number of finds is just a number, experience is a whole different category.

Anyone can hide a park n' grab, anyone can hide a 10 mile hike to the middle of nowhere.

It takes inspiration to hide a good cache. Do not ever go out to hide a cache for the sake of hiding it, or it will be lame, uninspired, and boring.

Wait till you're sitting there, and an idea pops into your head for a great cache, develop it, place it in a great location, and let people find it.

A person with 2 finds could hide a great cache, because it's not about the cache, it's about the location.

As for coordinates, a person with 0 finds can still know how to accurately mark coordinates, don't discriminate.

A person with 2 finds could hide a great cache, because it's not about the cache, it's about the location.

As for coordinates, a person with 0 finds can still know how to accurately mark coordinates, don't discriminate.

That's about what I did, had 3 finds before my first hide. I also was no stranger to GPS, nobody has complained yet about my coords being off.

Edited by Airmapper

Actually, a good test to see if someone has entered proper coords for their first hide would be for the reviewer to post a note saying - I just went out and checked your cache and found the coords were about 200 feet off! The cacher would go check and then return, and say - I have better coords, but I dont think the originals were 200 feet off?! The reviewer would then post a note saying - I know, I wasnt really there, I was just testing you. :(

I was not going to join this thread but after some new caches came up in my area

that had problems I could not stay out of it.

One cache was a multi that had cooridnates that were off by over 1/2 mile for the first part (I guess they never thought to try the coordinates before the cache was posted)

Once the first part was finnished it was found that the last leg of the cache was placed in a way that you would have to tresspass on a private driveway to log the cache, unless you went bushwacking in the botanical gardens the cache was placed in. I know this because I contacted the one person that had found the cache about my concern with the placement of the last leg of the cache.

After several e-mails with the cache owner and a few with my local approver the final stage of the cache is going to be moved Saturday.

Of course the 10+ negative logs were removed by the cache hider and it is still active while it has not been redone.

One new cache (Another Multi) had the final leg apperntly placed on a mail box, of course it came up missing before anyone could find it. Makes me wonder how it was attached. Never mind the mail box is 3 feet from a place were you could almost hide big screen TV.

Maybe a noob should be required to have a local cacher (with lots of finds) help them if they want to hide cache, before they have found a number of caches.

Lets say they have to find 30 caches before they can hide one solo. As has been said, it is not like there are not plenty of caches to find, from my zip code there are over 7,000 caches. It would be very easy for a noob around here to find 30 or 40 caches in a weekend.

I am not recomending a new guidline, I am recomending a rule!!!!

Edited by JohnnyVegas
It would be very easy for a noob around here to find 30 or 40 caches in a weekend.

Well there goes the theory that more finds make better hides.

What's the next rule?

Having to submit Your forum post to a moderator befor it is allowed?

NOT ALLOWED BECAUSE :

1.This topic has already been discused go to {LINK}

2.This topic has been discussed under another name,and You insist on bringing it up again.

3... You must have 100 responses to topics before you can create one of your own.

Etc...etc...

It takes inspiration to hide a good cache.  Do not ever go out to hide a cache for the sake of hiding it, or it will be lame, uninspired, and boring.

Wait till you're sitting there, and an idea pops into your head for a great cache, develop it, place it in a great location, and let people find it.

That's exactly why I only have one hide placed so far. I don't want to just stick a magnet behind a drain spout near the dumpsters behind a mall. The micro I'm planning to hide (yes, it's a stupid film can) will be a type of hide I haven't seen in this area and takes preparation and planning to place. I've done the work on it but haven't found the right spot to place it yet. I'm hoping folks will like it due to it being different.

The .50 cal can and the decon container I have ready to go are sitting at home until I come up with GOOD places to put them. I've seen a lot of places that would be "ok" but none that are good enough to suit me. I'll keep my eyes open and something will come to me - when it does I'm ready to go but until then the caches will sit at my house waiting.

Well there goes the theory that more finds make better hides.

Having some one find 30 or 40 caches before the hide can only improve their hides. There are people that only have a few cache finds that are all hot to hide some and they are palcing caches that are just not thought out at all, the coordited can be 1/2 mile off, They can be on private property with no permission, They can be missing before anyone can even find them, and these are all things I have seen in just the past five days. We even have two noobs in this area that hide caches and then log finds on their own caches after they are approved

After reading this thread I thought I might share another "Newbie" perspective. I just recently got started geocaching and became addicted for many reasons. One of the reasons was, it has been my experience that the majority of the people who truly enjoy the great outdoors tend to be good people. Helpful people. Parts of this thread have enforced that experience. (THANK YOU) However there does seem to be some cynacism towards "newbies". At least it seems that way from a newbie perspective. It may or may not be intentional, and newbies may be more sensative to it, maybe even overly sensative.

While I understand that when someone gains experiences, often they become cynical about people who could potentially damage the reputation of a hobby that the feel they've worked hard to promote responsibly. Though I also believe a more proactive helpful approach may bring better results.

Criticism or even perceived criticism will only breed anymosity. I feel a successful ambassador is one who first befriends those who he is trying to help.

Just another "newbie" perspective.

I feel a successful ambassador is one who first befriends those who he is trying to help.

This is why I posted this earlier in the thread

Maybe a noob should be required to have a local cacher (with lots of finds) help them if they want to hide cache, before they have found a number of caches.

As it has been said about many things in life, "You must learn to walk before you can run"

As it has been said about many things in life, "You must learn to walk before you can run"

Your cited example could very easily be interpreted as having the opposite effect.

Shortening the newbie term to noob it itself could be easily seen as condescending. Couple that with proposing a requirement for said noob, and now you could easily be asking for anymosity.

I feel a successful ambassador is one who first befriends those who he is trying to help.

By this statement I was thinking more along the lines of politely notifying a fellow cacher (new or old) of a possible mistake, and humbly letting them know that you have been doing this a while and would help them in any way you could in the future, IF they want any advice or would like any suggestions.

I realize a persons intent is often hard to read with written text since there is no body language or facial expressions or tones. And sometimes a person has to be extra nicey nicey with words and come off looking wimpy in order to assure the other party doesn't mis interpret your intent. Some people just won't bring themselves to do that, some people can do it more effectively than others. I've seen it thousands of times on every forum I've ever seen on many topics. People with good intentions being misunderstood, resulting in new members feeling alienated by someone who they think act like they were born with 1823 posts and an instant expert at the topic.

Edited by mapchasers

How would you identify a noob? New to the geocaching web site, new to GPS, new to the concept of computers?

While I have only been a member of geocaching web site for a couple of months I have worked with GPS since the mid 1990's (don't remember which year exactly) when you still needed a decryption key to get anything close to accurate coords. To become proficient on the system we would often do land navigation courses where we would have to use the GPS unit to find various waypoints and then ultimately our target destination - sort of like a multi-cache.

I hardly consider myself a noob to this - it is just a logical extension of a skillset that I already possessed. Therefore identifying a noob becomes time consuming, difficult and counter to the purpose of the game - that is to have fun!

<edit for clarity>

Edited by martinell
How would you identify a noob?  New to the geocaching web site, new to GPS, new to the concept of computers?

Identifying a “noob” (I know I used the term “Newbie” in the subtitle of this topic), is a good, but irrelevant question for this topic; it’s not a question of whether it’s new or experienced cachers that may benefit from a tutorial, or any other program. The concept proposed in my OP was based on the fact this website invites (all) cache hiders to hide a cache before they actually are exposed to any type of tutorial that may assist them in doing so within the standards of excellence of our community.

These priorities, as they now exist, include reading the guidelines (which tell you mostly how to get the cache published legally on this website) and the terms of use (which is mostly a liability matter). In order to publish a cache on this site you must check two boxes, one for each document.

My point is that this website should either add a third box, where the cache hider also certifies that he has read the tutorial (which focuses mostly on the art of hiding caches of excellence), or incorporate the tutorial somehow with the other material.

My current thinking is that there could be a voluntary test, provided somewhere early in the listing process, that might allow (all) cachers hiding a new cache to confirm privately that they are playing the game at the highest standard of which they may be interested. B):ph34r:

I've been caching since June and placed my first cache after 28 finds at the end of July. I felt I wanted to see how others hid theres to give me an idea of the best places to hide a cache. I am now unto 54 finds and have 3 of my own.

I do agree though that cachers should do the same as suggested on the website and experience finding several caches first.

On the subject of dodgy co-ords for caches. I did one recently near Derby that practically every finder had reported that the co-ords were off by 150 feet. I used a set of co-ords from the last finder that were spot on. I could not understand why the owner had not chosen to check the co-ords and canged them. To me that meant that they were not taking cache ownership seriously.

cheers

Gazooks <_<

Hey Sept1c! Here's one that should prove or disprove your point. New member as of 10/30, three finds under their belt and a new hide on 10/31 rated 3.5/1.5.....

Frank

First two logs are experienced cachers and both DNFs.

Let's see what happens....

B

Edited to say.... It's not me!!

Edited by av8ndv8

Tests will not make one bit of difference. Why? Because people will be people. They will pass the test and do what they want to anyway.

Poorly thought out caches will die - it's the way things are.

You also have to keep in mind everyone is looking for something different in a cache and enjoy different aspects.

For instance - numbers mean nothing to me and I find micro caches tedious and boring so I filter them out. Just because I don't like Micro caches does not mean they are bad caches. Every now and then there is even an interesting one - sadly, those are few and far between. But other people like them - THAT fact makes them viable caches.

I love the traditional caches where you trade items. Mostly because I have been bitten by the travel bug and you can't hide those in a micro cache.

I love virtual caches because they have led me to some very cool places.

I guess what I am saying is - it's all in the eye of the beholder. But if you find a cache with serious issues - simply notify the originator and let them know what is wrong and how to fix it. If they ignor it then it will die and be archived into the cache graveyard - as it should.

Tests will not make one bit of difference. Why? Because people will be people. They will pass the test and do what they want to anyway...

This is so true. It’s not the test that is the objective, though. It’s reading the assimilated material, already provided on this website that is the objective of my argument. You don’t think a test is necessary? I’m fine with that, but GC.com should encourage cache hiders to at least read the material and check the little box verifying that they did.

It’s obviously important enough for the directors of this website to require the reading of the guidelines and the terms of use; they require that you check a box affirming that.

Then the site invites you to submit a new cache. After that, the site affords you the opportunity to learn some of the skills necessary for hiding a good cache. It’s a simple scenario of the cart before the horse. :huh::huh:

Being well read on and comprehending the rules of the geocaching game are a given.

But like many other online communities that were born of the internet, you will allways have some folks who seem to get off on their own self branded form of elitism. These are folks who feel they are "in the know" about a given area of intrest and as a result have been given self affirmed divine providence to pour a toxic brew of snobbery and bullying tactics of those they consider "newbies".

To be sure most geocachers are not these sort of people. We are a friendly bunch who enjoy the game and want to share the joy we have playing it with others.

Its very simple. Nobody is ever going to play a game perfectly when you are first learning to play. If you are the type that gives someone starting out crap because they didn't rehide the find as well as you would like, or they were "seen" by a "muggle" or they got the gps coordinates off slightly on their first cache hide, then you really need to chill out some and remember this game supposed to be fun for people.

If you see someone new to the game "not quite doing it right". Don't post snide remarks on the cache log. Don't complain about it here on the forums. Why not do something productive instead? Offer the new cacher friendly, constructive advice, and leave the attitude out of it. Remember, you were the new guy not too long ago.

Also, I don't like the attitude some cachers have against muggles. Yeah, you should be carefull if your looking for an urban cache. But honestly, if I'm on a wooded trail in a county park in the suburbs

and some family walks by me and asks, "hey what are you doing?"

I'm going to tell them I'm geocaching. Its no big secret.

Edited by bcummings

Interesting . . . I have some caches along a couple of hiking trails. Most of the finders have actually been experienced cachers. When I revisited the caches, I noticed how a couple of them migrated . . . ;)

So, it ain't just the newbies who need a lesson in this . . . ;);)

...I've found the quite opposite. When junky, Walmart parking lot caches start popping up, the better caches get ignored. Why walk 3 miles to find one cache when you can find 3 in one mile? ...

I don't think it's quite that simple. There is a case to be made for finding 14 caches on the way out of town so you never get to the 3 mile hike. However even if you avoid all the caches getting out of town you now have 14 three mile hike caches you can choose from. Back in the day, there was one and if you were going to do a a cache you had one choice, not dozens of them. Dilution exists even for the nice caches. I can't do them all, and I have to pick and choose.

Darwinism does work on which cache I keep. I've archived far more crap than good.

However, if you look on the grand scale somebody out there launched 12,000+ micros. How can you compete with that? So if we apply Darwinism the quick and easy caches will win....
Interesting . . . I have some caches along a couple of hiking trails. Most of the finders have actually been experienced cachers. When I revisited the caches, I noticed how a couple of them migrated . . . ;)

So, it ain't just the newbies who need a lesson in this . . . ;);)

I agree with that. What is the common link? Hmmm, I can't think of it...... :)

Careful when you reply - please note that this thread is almost 2 years old.

And if you start a new thread some will blast you for not using the search feature. You can't win! ;)

That is true Knight2000. By the way, who the heck is that lady in your avatar?? As far as the guy who bumped the thread:

Being well read on and comprehending the rules of the geocaching game are a given.

But like many other online communities that were born of the internet, you will allways have some folks who seem to get off on their own self branded form of elitism. These are folks who feel they are "in the know" about a given area of intrest and as a result have been given self affirmed divine providence to pour a toxic brew of snobbery and bullying tactics of those they consider "newbies".

I couldn't agree more. Right on brotha. Obviously you've been around this interway, or internets, or whatever you call it, thing for a while, although you may be a newbie here. I have a perfect example. I myself was a frequent user of Usenet, when the clueless legions of WebTV users were suddenly, without warning, unleashed upon it. I ask you, how can it not drive you freaking crazy??

While the majority of new cachers are great - the test I would like to see is whether or not they can re-hide a cache in the same place/method/condition that it was found.

Amen.

I dont know....I've been very disappointed while watching some WELL experienced cachers rehide caches.

But yes, this IS a good thing to instruct newer cachers on.

i always try to take a moment and OBSERVE the exact way a cache is hidden before I pull it from hiding. Also, I try to remove one object at a time from around the cache, and try to remove only the minimum necessary to get the cache out.

Then another thing I do is take the cache and move several feet to several yards away from the "spot", to open it, go through it and log it. I get edgy trying to do all this while standing right at GZ, knowing in the back of my mind, that I am "leaving tracks and signs", even just by standing in one spot, ie on soft ground, leaf cover, or even grass, moss, etc.

Once I'm done and rehide the cache, I try to put every item I removed back exactly where it was, flip the leaf cover around, and scuff out any shoe imprints I left at GZ.

Of course, its never EXACTLY like it was, but close.

If I cant remember exactly how I uncovered it, I will leave it SLIGHTLY better hidden than I think I found it.

By the way, who the heck is that lady in your avatar??

Surprisingly i have heard this quite a bit. Its "Judge Judy" aka Judith Sheindlin.

I love her no nonsense approach to things. She sounds like this. ;):);) I like to answer the phone with this soundboard.

I was kind of thinking that, but she looks different on TV. :) That white lace around the neckline should have been a dead give-away. I'm partial to Joe Brown anyways. ;)

... However, if you look on the grand scale somebody out there launched 12,000+ micros. How can you compete with that? So if we apply Darwinism the quick and easy caches will win....

That's 12,000 caches placed in the name of one cause but those cachers were not busy placing other caches like they would have been.

Besides urban caches die off much quicker. Think of them as flies. Many generations will come and go in the time that my relaxed remote caches will kick back and breathe easy.

No rules please, no rules!!

Up front I'm going to admit having only read page one. I'm going to post because I do have a rather strong opinion on this topic. Hubby and I are FTF hounds so we run into the newbie problem on occasion.

One of our favorite hiders also has a different name that they use on occasion for placing caches. I only found this out after communicating with them via E-mail. That's when I recognized the placers. I hate to think of the cool caches that may not have happened if they had additional hoops to jump through before placing. I have been known to leave early in the morning and drive several counties North just to get a FTF on one of their caches.

This is where that whole arguement about 'is it about the numbers, it shouldn't be about the numbers' comes into play for me. If you have a new cache, and it is one that I want, I WILL look up your profile before I leave my house. I want a decent idea about how much you have cached, what kind of hides you have been exposed to, have you put out any other hides. Where there problems with your caches when they got up and going? Or, are you known to be very good at listing coords?

For me personally, not speaking for the Husband, I like the FTF hunt because I'm going out there and testing the system. Using just YOUR info, can I find what you left out there?

That being said, I recently introduced another to caching in Colorado. On the second outing he, very excitedly, told me about a GREAT location he knew about...could I help him place a really cool cache there? My response was an emphatic NO! (He doesn't even own a GPSr yet and has poo poooed my suggestion that he play in the forums to gather more info before buying one.) I nicely explained to him my feelings about newbie cachers putting out hides too soon. I personally knew what kind of hides he had been exposed to and while some were pretty neat, most were fairly generic. So I'm a snob. I didn't want him to rush out and place 'just another cache'. I elicited a promise that he would not even think of placing a cache until (a) he had his own equipment and was very comfortable with using it (:anibad: he had found at least 50 caches, at least several varieties © he was sure he had been into caching long enough that he felt he would stick with it for quite some time. That he would be around to, and be interested in, maintain the cache.

No more rules but, if you can sway someone....do it.

BTW, hubby has a note that he sends out to new placers when they put out bad coords. He tells them how to do it in a better way, but I think he could be a little nicer.

Edited by "we two want to play too"