New Durecell Tv Comercial

Panda Fan

Garmin vs Magellan

Coke vs Pepsi

Sounds like personal preference on the above.

Maybe the question should be,,,, have Duracells improved or are they still inferior to just about all other store bought alkaline batteries? I've never had any luck using the Duracells, they just dont last as long as the bunny brand! <_<

Whatever! The Airforce uses Magellan in their commercials.

I expect there are some folks at a certain Chinese embassy that wish our Air Force used Garmins instead!

News Quotes

An American bomb missed its target in Afghanistan by a mile Saturday because a target coordinate was entered incorrectly into its satellite navigation system...

(CNN) -- Retired Maj. Gen. Don Shepperd, a CNN military analyst, talked Wednesday morning with CNN anchor Paula Zahn about what may have caused a 2,000-pound satellite-guided bomb from a B-52 to miss its target and kill three U.S. soldiers and five Afghan opposition fighters north of Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Somehow, that the Air Force uses a certain product isn't very reassuring!

:rolleyes:

By now they've probably brought themselves up to speed, but I still wouldn't count on a magellan for anything but a paperweight. It's no lie that just a few short years ago they had models out that were by all means inferior products. But I agree by now it's probably a coke vs. pepsi thing.

Hey you garmin ppl: why would you get a model costing more than a GPS12? What features do you get that make it worth the extra $$?

By now they've probably brought themselves up to speed, but I still wouldn't count on a magellan for anything but a paperweight. It's no lie that just a few short years ago they had models out that were by all means inferior products. But I agree by now it's probably a coke vs. pepsi thing.

Hey you garmin ppl: why would you get a model costing more than a GPS12? What features do you get that make it worth the extra $$?

Frankly so did the Garmins.

Every company will have its bad moments with quality control.

I've been using a Magellan for the past 3 years now and I have seen it out weather Garmin 60c's very easily. On the same hike, the Garmins lost their satellite lock under heavy tree cover while mine was still rocking along.

It seems the Garmins have to depend more heavily on external antennas than the Magellans. If I were you, I'd be asking what's up with that?

Whatever! The Airforce uses Magellan in their commercials.

I expect there are some folks at a certain Chinese embassy that wish our Air Force used Garmins instead!

News Quotes

An American bomb missed its target in Afghanistan by a mile Saturday because a target coordinate was entered incorrectly into its satellite navigation system...

(CNN) -- Retired Maj. Gen. Don Shepperd, a CNN military analyst, talked Wednesday morning with CNN anchor Paula Zahn about what may have caused a 2,000-pound satellite-guided bomb from a B-52 to miss its target and kill three U.S. soldiers and five Afghan opposition fighters north of Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Somehow, that the Air Force uses a certain product isn't very reassuring!

:rolleyes:

That system is an entirely different navigational system and could have been inputted just one digit off the actual target coordinates. It still depends on manual input.

How many of you here have accidentally put in the wrong coordinates and ended up in the wrong location?

I was kidding with the above post, as it's a familiar and friendly ongoing debate among my geocaching friends!

On a serious note, I have to say, having owned all manner of GPS, and Loran C before that, the designers and manufacturors are doing a bang-up job!

I cache a lot, and most always with other people, and therefore have had the opportunity to either own, use or observe practically every hand-held GPS out there.

My geocaching association, the AGA, holds monthly meetings and geocaching and GPS accuracy games are usually played. I can't see a bit of difference in the accuracy of the brands!

Try this next time you have a group of folks with different GPS units; select a small rock or simular item in the middle of an open field and take your best coords. This is the target. Do not mark but carefully remember your target. Give everyone a small flag or marker and have them go to your coords and place their flag as close to your coords as is possible. Last time I did this at an event we had 30-something participants using most of the popular GPS units and had a circle of error as far as 106' off to a closest flag of about 6", with no differentiation as to what brand or model was used (in other words the first ten closest or farthest weren't mostly one brand).

Units continuously improve. Sure there are some that hit the market that flop, and others that are simply misused.

Geocachers are, I suspect, the biggest difference in the units - we each have different skill levels, attention and patience spans, expectations, etc.

I jumped on the Garmin Ique 3600, seeing it as a wonderful do-all unit. Wonderfully conceived and designed, it was poorly executed and manufactured, so that Garmin had to reverse its early advertising and now states clearly that the unit is not designed nor suitable for geocaching.

There are plenty of folks using that unit for geocaching that love it. Go figure!

I own two Magellans at the moment, a Meridian Basic (yellow) and a Meridian Platinum, both excellent units.

My next purchase, however, will be a Garmin 60cs!

This should indicate to you that I truly believe that the units from each manufacturor have very simular operating characteristics, so simular that I now buy based on feature set rather than brand name

See you on the trails!

Ed

I'm with you. You can't expect the AF to sit idly by and not slap box back. <_<

We have done the so called accuracy contest and have noted similar differences and similarities. These days as the bugs get worked out, the purchase choice is about the bells and whistles and not much else. I too would jump on the 60cs bandwagon but for the fact the comass is still not a 3-axis compass. That's what I bought the MeriPlat for.

I presume the next generation of Energizer commercials will use Magellans.

"It keeps you going...and going...and going...until you realize you passed the cache 150 feet ago."

<_<

this is just not fair.

if you know you're using a tool with magellan slingshot, you simply modify your hunting habits.

it is silly to take potshots at perfectly good GPS units, boys and girls.

It seems the Garmins have to depend more heavily on external antennas than the Magellans. If I were you, I'd be asking what's up with that?

Naw I use a 12. Alll internal. It's bulletproof and dependable. If you don't need a fancy interface to hold your hand, it's fine:p

actually I won't deny there are models with improved performance in trees. Just not so much better that I'm ready to pony up. I'll stick with my 12.

I'd vote for improved battery life before improved performance under trees, anyway, since I live in SD. LOL

Magellan vs Garmin

Coke vs Pepsi

;) Can't we just get along?  B)

Yea, Yea, Yea

Chevy vs Ford

Canon vs. Nikon (Nikon)

Winderz vs. UNIX (UNIX)

vi vs. emacs (vi)

Glock vs. HK (Glock)

sail vs. power (sail)

climb vs. rappel (climb)

nordic vs. downhill (nordic)

Hm. Drive a Chevy. Cache with a Garmin.

This could be a fun thread. Seriously OT though. Sorry 'bout that.

Cheers,

Phil

I guess Garmin and Magellan are in full-court press mode with the holiday season under way. While watching CNN Headline News this morning, I saw a commercial for a Garmin Streetpilot. Forget which model. I never thought I'd see GPS receivers moving from a specialized item to a commodity advertised on TV and radio. Numerous times in this forum, people have said Lowrance's weakness is marketing. I guess that's true, since they don't have any TV or radio commercials. At least that I am aware of. It is possible that instead of spending money on ads, Lowrance is spending on engineering.

It is possible that instead of spending money on ads, Lowrance is spending on engineering.

Yeah, I have owned various brands of GPSrs and my favorite two were the Lowrance GM100 and my current Lowrance H2O. That said, I've never owned a "bad" GPS unit. THey all work as advertised in my experience. I like Lowrance because they are two miles from where I work and they have a direct impact on my income due to their association with my employer. Plus, I do have to admit, I have less reception problems with Lowrance than I have had with other models. I really like the fact that I can jump in my truck at lunch and drive up to the factory store and by any accessory I need. I have yet to have a problem with my unit, but I am confident that they would bend over backwards for me if I did. They have some of the best customer service in their factory store that I have ever experienced.

Edited by GPSOkie

I've gotta see the Lowrance store, it it on Skelly Drive. :blink:

Anyway Lowrance does actively advertise the Aviation models (AirMap 500, 1000, and 2000c) in Aviation magazines and publications. They have also been reviewed by different magazines and given good ratings (Some were inaccurate, but they still praised the unit. It was all because they wanted features they didn't know the Lowrance really had.)

I've gotta see the Lowrance store, it it on Skelly Drive.  :blink:

Heh, it is an interesting experience. It is almost like a mom and pop store in that the same lady has been working the desk every time I have been in since I started using their products in 1998. I have yet to go in there looking for something that they didn't have and the lady could give me every detail about the product I was buying. She is a Lowrance "expert" in that she always know what I need even when I don't. I'm only in there a couple of times a year, but she knows my name, where I work, and what unit I'm currently using. I was in there last week looking for a mount and I swear she unboxed every mount that would fit my unit and let me look at it and even let me take a couple of them out to my truck so I could decide which on I wanted. She never thought twice about the fact that I could have drove off with one of them.

Edited by GPSOkie
I have noticed that Garmin users seem to be very vocal about their choice. Similar to Mac users, Volkswagen drivers, vegetarians and single malt scotch drinkers. What's up with that? I have had experience with both and I use the Magellan more because...well the screen is a bit bigger. Which helps when I have had too much scotch. And too much steak..

The Magellen users (:D)know that their gps is no good, so they can't be vocal! :ph34r: Mac users are just a bunch of Linux/Unix posers, Windows users know they're OS is crap so don't talk about it. :(

Garmin users have to be vocal about their choice so we don't let noobs go get a crappy unit! :ph34r:

I use the Magellan more because...well the screen is a bit bigger. Which helps when I have had too much scotch. And too much steak. 

I think that proves

Its a proven fact that Magellan users are low-life, wife beating, alcoholic, child molesters.
:D

I've got a Garmin GPSMAP 60c :( in my arsenal.

Only 5 minutes ago, during the New England-Denver football game, I saw Tom Tom advertising one of their units.  A GPS receiver manufacturer advertising on TV, who would've imagined?

I saw a Garmin ad on TV...the one with the finger. Some touch screen car mounted GPS.

Durecell likes Garmin, eh? Wise choice.

I can't remember if it was an episode of Family Guy or American Dad, but it showed two "pros" agruing about territory, using GPSs. The units they held looked suspisiously like Magellens...

So, hos like Magellens?

Edited by Pork King
I just saw a new Durecell Battery TV comercial. It was about local people in the rain forest plotting there area with a Garmin 60CS. <_<

Even Durecell likes Garman better then Magellan. :o he he

I hope they are learning about Geocaching as well.

You can be sure that Garmin paid to have there GPS used in the commercial.

As far as Duracell. I will not use Duracell batteries due to problems I have had with them leaking in the past.

And like Totem said, why no 3 axis compass in a garmin GPS?

Ansd on a more current note, why are the new x versions from Garmin still limited to 1,000 waypoints when they use expandable memory cards.

I presume the next generation of Energizer commercials will use Magellans.

"It keeps you going...and going...and going...until you realize you passed the cache 150 feet ago."

<_<

this is just not fair.

if you know you're using a tool with magellan slingshot, you simply modify your hunting habits.

it is silly to take potshots at perfectly good GPS units, boys and girls.

Beside the new Magellans do not have the sling shot effect, and it was never much of an issue anyway. I was caching with a cacher that has several thousands finds a while back, He had a Garmin I had a Magellan sport track map, he shot right past a cache, walked right over it. I weht right to it and pick it up. SO THere

More food for thought, the popular hertz never lost system is made by Magellan

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I am new to this forum and to the sport of Geocaching. I have a Garmin Etrek Vista C that I am overall very pleased with. The only thing that I am not pleased with is the way that Garmin markets it's software. It seems overpriced and on several occasions my metroguide v. 6 ($110) software has taken me to exits and businesses that weren't even there. I know that you don't really need any maps for most geocaching, but I was wondering if any Magellen users have the same problems with their GPS software.

I also have the Vista C, but I purchased City Select maps. Sometimes I have to argue with the GPSr a bit when it routes me in an odd way -- for instance, I set it for Home last night and it picked some rather odd ways of getting me through the nearby community. ^_^

I just told it it was crazy and drove the more-direct way . . . :D

The software is never completely up-to-date, but for me it is way better than pulling over and trying to find my way on the Thomas Brother's maps. :P

From what I have read here, it seems that people prefer the Garmin auto-routing over the Magellan auto-routing.

I'm a Magellan user. I got a "gift certificate" from my wife one Christmas for a GPS. I knew geocaching existed but didn't know about the forums. I did a lot googling and reading reviews (mostly on amazon) and one thread I kept on picking up was that the Magellans were better under tree cover.

So I got a SporTrak Map and I love it. It does seem to have about a 75 foot "slingshot" affect but as another poster said, you just take that into account. I was out with a team of 5 recently and it seemed to stay very close to one of the 60cs in our group. (once you accounted for the slingshot, which was annoying in a group.)

On the other hand, I'm so saving for a 60cs or whatever I need to do the auto-routing from one location to another. No longer do I have to stay up for an hour each night printing out google maps to the various caches. Now that auto-route rocks. It did takes us down some strange roads, but so what, it gave us freedom to decide, as a group, where we we going next.

Very nice!

Paul

PS: Macintosh, Diet Coke and Ford (a 1954 Ford Customline which has been in my family since new, currently in storage, but at least I own the customline.com domain!

I have a 60CS and a SporTrak Pro. When I started geocaching my partner was using a GPS V while I was using my SporTrak Pro. He always gave me a bad time about the slingshot effect, but when all was said and done we were always within 6' of each other when we stopped. Sometimes he was closer to the cache, sometimes I was. I now use the 60CS, not because it is more accurate, but because of all its features. I believe I have become a great disappointment to my caching partner. He can only look at my GPS with envy, and cannot harass me anymore about my choice for a GPS. :huh: