Visiting Japan Next Month

SDJunkMan

We will be visiting Japan next month, spending time in Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Ise-Shime, and Misawa. Would like to do some caches while there, but have no idea what the coordinates to these cities are, so I can search for caches to look for before we leave the states. Can anyone give me some coordinates that will get me close to these cities, or recommend some caches in these areas that can easily be accessed by train?

Thanks,

Jeff & Odie

Here are two coordinates to start you off:

Tokyo: N 35° 40.000 E 139° 40.000

Kyoto: N 35° 00.000 E 135° 45.000

Even in Tokyo, don't expect all the caches to be accessible by train, but there should be enough to keep you busy for a day or two.

For other parts of Japan, many of the caches are accessible by motorized vehicles only. Be prepared to take buses, taxis or drive rental cars.

Edited by budd-rdc

Here's one that is right on a JR Train Station Platform:

GCHW5M, "Ogaki Dash"

This cache is located about 30 minutes west of Nagoya, if you take the Rapid.

You might want to be specific on your travel plans so others can provide you with advice. For example, how long will you stay there? Do you plan to take the Shinkansen (bullet train) and if so, which direction and how far? (west from Tokyo, north from Tokyo?)

I believe most of the caches in Misawa are placed by U.S. Military personnel, and since most of them drive, don't count on too many near any train stations.

You can run a Pocket Query for caches in Japan by selecting "Japan" in the "Within --> Countries" or run a PQ at the maximum distance (use 500 miles) from the coordinates I posted above.

We will arrive in Tokyo on the 1st of Nov, and stay there for a couple of days before traveling to Kobe. We plan to day trip to Osaka and Kyoto from Kobe, and I havd found several caches on Osdaka, but only a couple in Kyoto that look like they may be doable (thanks for the coordinates for Kyoto).

From Kobe, we travel to Ise-Shima for 2 days, then will work our way up to Misawa to visit our son who is in the US Air Force. Haven't planned that part of the trip much, wast to leave it open in case we want to go back to Tokyo, Osaka, or Kyoto, or possible decide to stop somewhere else on the trip north.

The last time I was in Japan was over 25 years ago. I was stationed in Okinawa, and flew up to Tokyo for a couple of days.

Jeff

Edited by SDJunkMan
Here's one that is right on a JR Train Station Platform:

GCHW5M, "Ogaki Dash"

This cache is located about 30 minutes west of Nagoya, if you take the Rapid.

Do you need a ticket to get on to the part of the station where this cache is located? I shall be driving in this area probably weekend of Nov 12/13 so would likely give this a try.

Yes, you do need a ticket.

If you are already on a JR train, then you can take a detour to Ogaki, get off the train, walk to the hide location at the end of the platform, sign the cache, then take another train toward your destination.

If you are arriving at Ogaki by means other than a train, then you'll have to purchase a ticket to enter and exit the platforms.

geofellas - tickets to just get onto the platforms (but not go anywhere) are only about 140yen IIRC; i've used them when meeting\sending off visitors and so forth

ETA: here you go!

Entering The Station Fee (Nyujoken)

If you want to pass the ticket gates of a station without taking a train, for example, to wait for somebody on the platform or to get to the other side of a large station complex, you have to purchase this type of ticket. Depending on the region of Japan, it costs between 120 and 160 Yen, which is basically the price of the cheapest train ticket available.

Hi everyone,

I am leaving for Japan tomorrow and wish to take a TB with me. Will be arriving in Narita and then heading towards a small town near Mt Fuji. (Southern side near Gotemba) I will also be heading towards Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto and most likely Nagano.

What are the chances of being able to do any caches with it being winter over there? I presume it would be much harder with things covered in snow! :lol:

The best place for me to put the TB would be near Mt Fuji areas, does anyone have any experience with this?

I am a little cautious of finding caches near the airport....might look a little suss and I don't want my GAIJIN card taken from me and being deported from the country!!! :)