Gps For Small Trucker

piddlers3

Need help from the folks that use this stuff. I do a little geocaching with my Garmin Legend but not nearly enough. My father does trailer moving all across the states with a one ton Dodge diesel. He could use a little help so what gps unit would be good for vehicle only but removable for security. I've seen touch screen units that maybe good. Street and highway loadable. Screen size does matter for his older eyes. But most of all user friendly. Dads not a tech person. Budget, lets try to keep it near $500. Any and all help is welcome. Thank you, piddlers3.

I would recommend the Garmin 76C because it should have enough memory for all the traveling he does.

Only problem is the price. The unit itself might run about $499.00 (Shop around online.)

But, he will need to buy Mapsource City Select to get the really detailed street maps and he will need the automotive mount. I got those things in a package for about $145.00.

I have the Vista C, which I like a lot. It does the auto-routing just as well as the GPSMap 60C or 76C and it cost $280.00 . . . but it only has 24 MB of memory. I have all the maps for San Diego County (a huge county) and all the sparsely-populated area up Highway 395 all the way to Reno loaded on it, but if your father is traveling in more densely-populated areas, 24 MB doesn't cover a lot of area.

If you need an external antenna it will be a few more bucks(75-90$) but the 76c has the option to use one so if you find that the unit doesn't work well in the car you can get the antenna for it. (Doesn't come in the auto navigation kit).

I have a Garmin Gps Map 76 cs and I like. I have the whole state of Michigan in the unit in City select and Topo Plus some of Canada, Ohio and Indiana. Pretty handy when you don't know where your going. The autoroutting feature is a handy tool. If I'd of known I would of bought one alot sooner.

Look at the website http://www.gpsonsale.com for prices. They seem to have the best prices on the Gps units, I shopped elsewhere for my accessories though.

Edited by evetsno1

A couple people have recommended the 76c here. I own a 76cs and I love it and would recommend it to almost anyone. It would definetly have the features you are looking for and if you look around you can probably find it around $400 but I don't think the screen is big enough for your pops needs.

I second the suggestion of Mikeomni1, a Lowrance IWay100M. I don’t have one, but from what I have read it seems the perfect unit for your dad. It has voice navigation, so you don’t have to look at the screen, and uses SD cards so you can have memory cards for all the states he travels in. The unit comes with everything; maps, car mount, and an SD card and reader. You can find them on line for less than 200 dollars, they use to sell for something like 350 dollars.