Clerk Error, My Gain

Just wanted to share this story. I went into a local marine shop to see if they had the 60cs in stock. Sure enough they do, list $499, but at that price I rather go online. The clerk says I will give you $30 off, BUT he writes 30%, with the % instead of $. I thought let me come back tomorrow and see what happens. Sure enough, the girl at the counter rang it up at 30% off, and got $150 off the price!!! Just had to tell some one!!

I say Good Deal!

forget about what some othr here say, theres always going to be those jealous people who are going to say that it was dishonest or whatever. to them i say, "WHATEVER!"

as to the one who had concern that the clerk could have to pay the difference. B) it wouldnt happen, ask a lawyer, the MOST a store could do is fire them, i highly even doubt that would happen.. Even if someone was caught stealing from the till they couldnt take it from there paycheck, they could only fire them and persuit legal action against them.

All that said, retail chains make such huge markups I would NEVER feel guilty saving/profiting from a mistake in my favor.

Have a great day, oh and its sunday, better run off to church and pray for our souls. B)

All that said, retail chains make such huge markups I would NEVER feel guilty saving/profiting from a mistake in my favor.

I always find it interesting how people justify being just "a little" dishonest.

What if this was a little kid working his lemonade stand and he accidently gave you back too much change? Would you keep it and take off with a grin on your face knowing that you had gotten a really good deal on lemonade?

What's the difference? Why does it matter what the "markup" is? Why is it okay to take money from the store because of their mistake and not from the little kid with the lemonade stand?

What's the difference?

In this case I would say the difference is about $150. B)B)B)

The clerk says I will give you $30 off, BUT he writes 30%, with the % instead of $.

Maybe you just heard him wrong.

Did you take it back yet? B)

Edited by Milbank

I understand you wanting a good deal. We all want a good deal!! You should at least take it back and ask the store what they want to do. It may not happen, but wouldn't the whole deal be sweeter if the store just said to keep it at that price, it was their mistake?

Ron

That is an full scale lie, You do not know what your are talking about. The Markup on electronics is about 5% may 10%, that is not a huge markup. Out the 5-10% the stores have to pay there operating cost, Rent, Saleries, Utilities insurance and so on. Big or Small, the markup is the same. Having been a retail electronis buy for a chain of stores I speak from experiance.

I really am amazes at how many people think that retailers are out to rip them off. these the clowns do not know anything about the retail indistry. They are just looking for an way to justifie their theft of money from honest retailers that are trying to make a living.

I guess KF6JAX and Dot Com are at two people that are not to be trusted

Edited by JohnnyVegas
How about paying attention? If the clerk does not know the difference between the $ sign and the % sign, it's their fault.

I agree that perhaps the clerck wasn't paying attention. However, i know that in some of the jobs that my wife has had, if she was short at the end of the day, then she had to make up the difference out of her own paycheck! That hurts when you aren't making very much to begin with!

Wow now I am some sort of criminal for voicing my opinion. B)

So your telling me that at $499 they are only making 5-10% . I can't believe that, the 60cs sells anywhere from $350 to $450 online. I agree they don't make millions and smaller stores have more overhead. All I meant with my previous comment was the store more than likely didnt sell it at a loss and while it isnt the most honest thing to do, the clerk does have to foot some responsibility for not noticing that a $500 GPS just sold for $350.

Edited by D0T-C0M
Wow now I am some sort of criminal for voicing my opinion. B)

So your telling me that at $499 they are only making 5-10% . I can't believe that, the 60cs sells anywhere from $350 to $450 online. I agree they don't make millions and smaller stores have more overhead. All I meant with my previous comment was the store more than likely didnt sell it at a loss and while it isnt the most honest thing to do, the clerk does have to foot some responibility for not noticing that a $500 GPS just sold for $350.

We sold many GPS models in the $500.00 dollar range and would make about $50.00 on them, some times less. On the basic Garmin e-trex we might have made $10.00. On many occasions we would have customers from countries were price fixing is legal or were import dutties were vary high and buy several GPS units to take back or mail home to avoid the high prices they had to pay at home.

We had one customer buy 4 Garmin GPS IIIs because at home he would have had to pay close to $600.00 each with the software.

If you look at Magellans or Garmins web sites and read what the suggest retial is, that would be about a 25% to 30% markup, Very few retailers sell at those prices.

please explain,

By your logic, garmin suggested retail is $535.70- 30% = $374.99 cost

How are some stores selling them for $349-$375 without incurring a loss. One has to believe that these stores are making money? Maybe I'm way off base but the way I see it the store selling the $499 GPS the author of this thread quoted has to still be making roughly 25-30%

I'm not trying to justify the ethics of this situation but am only debating the fact that there's more than 5 - 10% mark up on the GPS in question and the store that sold the GPS to the author either broke even or incurred a very slight loss if any.

Edited by D0T-C0M
please explain,

How are some stores selling them for $349-$375 without incurring a loss. One has to believe that these stores are making money? Maybe I'm way off base but the way I see it the store selling the $499 GPS the author of this thread quoted has to still be making roughly 25-30%

I'm not trying to justify the ethics of this situation but am only debating the fact that there's more than 5 - 10% mark up on the GPS in question and the store that sold the GPS to the author either broke even or incurred a very slight loss if any.

Online stores don't have the overhead of a B&M, they might not even keep the product in inventory at a location they're paying rent on and maybe even drop ship.

The retailer pays for the product, pays to have it delivered to them, pays to store it until sold, and pays just to unlock the front door in the morning. All those costs must be allocated to the product being sold.

For what it's worth, and just by way of example, I used to sell photographic equipment. At that time, if all we sold were cameras and normal lenses, we would be out of business in a hurry, because we would price them at or below cost in order to stay competitive with mail order houses. Then, considering our salary costs, space costs, utilities, etc. it would be a huge loss.

BUT, we would always try to sell accessories, film, processing, then later darkroom equipment, frames, albums, etc. The entire business model worked just fine, because the overall package, or mix, was profitable.

I can easily see, however, where an individual big ticket item---when sold at 30% off---may be at or below cost.

Edited by jacques0
please explain,

Online stores don't have the overhead of a B&M, they might not even keep the product in inventory at a location they're paying rent on and maybe even drop ship.

The retailer pays for the product, pays to have it delivered to them, pays to store it until sold, and pays just to unlock the front door in the morning. All those costs must be allocated to the product being sold.

There are a number of distributors that will drop ship orders, this means once you are set up as a dealer all you do is take the online order and the distributor ships the product for you and sends you a bill. THis means no overhead, you can work out of your home. The extra rent, electric bill, saleries, inventory tax, the list goes on. THere are a number of dealers that do not buy directly from Garmin and Magellen because they do not want to meet the minimum order requirment to become a direct dealer. They are still an authorized dealer, they just do not by dierectly. About the only place dealers can make any money is on accesories like Brakets, Cables, Software, Cases and other add-ons as they are called.

I have been approached to set up an online store by reps I know in the industry, I just do not want to do it anymore. 30+ years selling outdoor gear. NO MORE!!!!!!

I took my daughter to the movies, had a geriatric moment and left my $500.00 PDA in the restroom. I felt sick to my stomach, it's my mobile office. I went back to check and it was gone. I told my daughter i was going to check to see if someone turned it in, she laughed and said, "yea right, like that is going to happen." I checked and yup, some good Samaritan had turned it in. Someone doing the right thing when noone was looking. Wonderful integrity.

As a side note, Dot com, where did you find the 60cs for $349.00? I saw some online for that price but all i could find was the 60 c.

Brian

I've had a similar situation. I was getting a quote for some work I needed done. They guy talked it out to me but then wrote something different down, to my advantage. I didn't notice it until later and pointed it out. When I came down to it, he honored what he wrote down. I felt like I had taken advantage of the situation but I had pointed out the person's mistake and he owned up to it. If I hadn't said anything to him, I couldn't have lived with it.

^^ike

I understand all your comments about online stores not having the overhead. The point I was making is the GPS cost price has to be at least $350 because online stores while not having the overhead etc... are selling them and still making a profit. Even though this particular store never made any profit from the sale, the point I was making was it sold this GPS at almost cost price and all things aside probably sold it for what it paid for it.

I'm only talking about dollars and sense not whether it is/was ethical.

Edited by D0T-C0M

There are a lot of no integrity, self-serving, greedy losers like you! I retired as a UPS driver and lots of time people over or under paid for their c.o.d. packages, as much as $1000.00. In our case, we were responsible for shortages regardless of the amount.

Sounds like your MOM and DAD did a "real fine" job of raising you. What's even worse is you probably raised your own kids the same way.

Just remember, Karma can be a m..... f....., what goes'round, comes 'round!

What if getting the discount was Karma coming back to me? I always help the hungry, homeless, needy. I stop on the expressway when someone has a flat. When anyone asks for my help, I do what I can. Maybe I was the one who got the lucky break this time?

Yeah, keep tap-dancing.

A clerk who has to pony up $150 to cover her mistake or lose her job might be in a seriously bad spot. People at the low end of the wage scale tend not have a lot of financial buffer against an unexpected expense.

Let's face it, if you're shopping for a $499 toy, you've got no business scoring $150 off a minimum wage register jockey.

Just wanted to share this story. I went into a local marine shop to see if they had the 60cs in stock. Sure enough they do, list $499, but at that price I rather go online. The clerk says I will give you $30 off, BUT he writes 30%, with the % instead of $. I thought let me come back tomorrow and see what happens. Sure enough, the girl at the counter rang it up at 30% off, and got $150 off the price!!! Just had to tell some one!!

DUDE! You are forever shamed in this forum!

CLICK HERE to change your Geocaching.com username! :rolleyes:

Indeed -- was just going to say that. THe original link provided was to epinions, which retailers can pay to be listed on. Obviously, many of them are linking to the WRONG PRODUCT at epinions -- it should be the 60cs, but is actually the price of the 60c.

So, again, Dot-Com, please provide some online places to buy the 60cs for $350 or so. Thanks.

- John...

Neo Geo...good one...got a gooooood laugh. My opinion on the matter....can't really say for sure but I know if more people were as honest as most of you are representing, this country would definitly be much better off. But before you chastise these guys, check your past...no rattlin' bones?

I consider myself chronically honest (once called the cops after wreckin' my car and told 'em "come get me...I'm drunk and I just wrecked my car"...hmmm...maybe that's chronically stupid?) so I most likely would have said something. Especially considering you can get one online close to that price anyhow. But I'm not going to jump to the conclusion that these guys are as bad as their being made out simply for this.

I guess, when all is said and done, if you can get it online for around that same $350, then what was the point of his first post at all? I mean, even after the discount, he got it for basically the online price. Why brag about that? Was it worth it to be dishonest in a retail store just to get it for the same price that you could have got it online for if you had waited the 2-3 days for shipping? Heck, depending on the state he is in, with tax he might have paid pretty much the same thing that he would have online.

So, again, I don't get the point of the post if, in the end, someone is going to argue that it is basically the same as online places can sell it for. If that's true, then bragging that you basically cheated a store a bit just to get the same price as online is, well, pretty lame.

- John...

Geez, if I knew I was going to stir the hornets nest I'd have kept my mouth shut. My intent was "hey, this is what happened, somthing worked out in my favor for a change", not that I got one over on the store. To boot, it goes to show what our schools are teaching. If you don't know the difference between the $ sign or the % sign you shouldn't be working retail. And I don't for a second by the holier than thou act I'm getting here. Faced with the same situation I doubt everyone that got on my case would be quick to point out the error.

I suppose some people like to "stick it to the man". I'd have to say there's probably a few establishments I'd have no problem makin' out on. But I'd never do it to somewhere I frequent, somewhere I've gotten great service in the past or a ma and pop outfit. Now Best Buy...I might just hafta!!! :blink:

Indeed -- if I had ANY local store that stocked something like the 60CS, I'd be thrilled to have a place where I could go to check out some of the more recent and/or higher-end GPSr units! The best I can find locally is MAYBE a Vista (not the C) that my local Target might have now and then.

In other words, I'd certainly appreciate a local retailer if I had one that had things like that -- to the point where I certainly wouldn't feel right taking advantage of them -- even if they made a mistake.

On a side note, I think this has NOTHING to do with what is being taught in school as has been suggested. The guy didn't accidentally write "30%" instead of "$30" due to a schooling problem. It was just a mistake, not bad education.

- John...

Edited by Team Chevelle

Man that is a pretty bad mistake for someone in the retail business though, huh? Actually, perhaps gringo_nordestino should go back and ask him what his intention was...point out the error...if he's doin' that regularaly that place ain't gonna be 'round to long, huh? Perhaps that'll apease the Karmic gods.

Neo Geo...good one...got a gooooood laugh. My opinion on the matter....can't really say for sure but I know if more people were as honest as most of you are representing, this country would definitly be much better off. But before you chastise these guys, check your past...no rattlin' bones? ...

I've been on both sides of the fence but finally decided which one I liked better. When I was a kid I deposited 100.00 in the bank. My statement came back 700.00. I waited for them to catch it in an audit they didn't. A lot of time passed and they never caught it. I was home free. So I went to the bank and said "Hey, you guys made a mistake."

In the past there have also been times when a clerk has handed me too much change and I kept it. But it bugged me so the next time it happened I corrected them and they thanked me for it. Some of them have it come out of their check.

The bottom line is we don't always do the right thing, but we do know what the right thing is and should be willing to own up to it. The most annoying thing about a hypocrite is that they are right.