First To Find

unicyclist

You hear about people actully on there way so they can be the first to find then another cacher runs by only to get there first. Kinda odd.

But anyways, since this is so competiative, how do I do a serch for 1st to find in only my area. The cache page tells you about new caches but not in your area but the entire country.

How do you search for Brand New caches in your area?

How do you search for caches that have not been found in a while, besides just doing a local serach and going through the 10 pages?

Edited by unicyclist

Well unicycleist, your like me, a non premium member, and it's going to be hard to find a new cache unless you check often. I don't worry about FTF, and a lot of cachers don't, it just another aspect of the game and you can get competitive with it if you want.

In my area, there isn't much need to worry about FTF's because I can't claim it on my own caches.

(Can you pop a wheelie on a unicycle? :ph34r: )

Edited by Airmapper

How do you search for Brand New caches in your area?

How do you search for caches that have not been found in a while, besides just doing a local serach and going through the 10 pages?

Become a premium member and use the cache notification system to get news of hides.

Become a premium member and use pocket queries to generate results filtered by last find dates.

It really doesn't cost too much - and it makes life just a little easier and happier!

Happy Caching!

Momma Marauder

As was mentioned above, you, as a non-premium member, need to check the GC website frequently to catch when a new cache is posted. For just checking your own local area, go to your 'My Account Details' page and in the right hand column should be a list of ways to do searches for caches. For instance, mine says to check for newest caches in Oklahoma. I'm not sure if this is a premium feature or not, since it's been there for so long. Of course you could just search for caches from your home coordinates, using the normal 'find a cache' functionality and look for caches without a date posted and annotated as 'new'. If you live in a cache deprived area, like I do, then the above techniques will work for you. For an area of about 20 miles from my home, if someone post a new cache, I can take my time getting around to it , like within a day or two sometimes weeks, and be the FTF

I don't have many caches in my area, but just by coincidence two days after I joined GC.com a local cacher placed a new cache right in my area, I drive by it several times a week. Anyway it was my first FTF and my 3rd cache. No more FTF's since, but it's still cool to be the first name in the log.

Edited by Airmapper
thanks, i guess i have to save some money to become a member.

In the meantime, target caches located in remote areas for FTFs. I've claimed an FTF or two as a non Premium Member doing that. Even if someone beat you to the cache, there's no letdown, since you still have an enjoyable hike back to the car ahead of you. B)

Become a premium member and use the cache notification system to get news of hides.

Is the cache notification system for premium members different than the weekly new cahe email anyone can get? I've been getting a weekly email ever since I joined gc.com, even before I became a premium member. Now that I am a premium member, can I get notified as soon as a new one in my area is listed? If so, how do I sign up? There have been a couple times that caches were listed early in the week that were near my home or work. By the time I got the weekly email they'd already been found. It would be nice to know right away so I'd have a chance at FTF. Thanks.

As explained in the Frequently Asked Questions Thread that's pinned at the top of this forum, the insta-notify service is just that -- an e-mail is sent out to those premium members who subscribe to the service for the relevant cache type and log type, and who are within a 50 mile radius of the new cache. The notification e-mail is triggered off of the "published" log that is automatically added when the reviewer publishes a new cache. Follow the link in the FAQ post to set up your own notifications.

I hate to show this, because I think of it as a form of cheating, but...

here

My only FTF was on a 4/4 cache, way off in the boonies that no one wanted to go to. Sat for 2 weeks before I got to it. Just take your time and enjoy the hunts. Your First FTF will come.

My first FTF was the second day I started geocaching :lol:

I got the GPS on Saturday (10/1/05), found 5 cache's the next day after figureing out how to use my GPS (went for some easy ones to get the hang of it). The next day while I was at work :lol: , I saw that one of the people who's cache I'd found the previous day (and really enjoyed) had just placed a bunch (27) new caches that had just been approved. As soon as I got home from work and my roommate showed, we ran out and got 2 FTF's right away. After heading home and relaxing for a bit, I saw a few of the others had people find them as well, but that one that hadn't been found yet had a set of unregistered bugs in it. We debated for a bit, then did a night stealth :lol: mission and got the third.

In other words...I was REALLY lucky to see the things pop up, and also lucky that so many were posted at once. But it is a fun feeling, and the next day we found a couple more from the series that we weren't FTF, but it was still great.

Good luck for everyone else finding thier first FTF's.

Celticwulf

It just depends on the area. I live in an area of huge geocache density, and I have over 80 FTF's but I have only been caching about 9 months. However there is alot of competition for FTF's in my area as well. Most caches that come out last only a few hours if that before they are found, regardless of difficulty or terrain, with the exception of Jack's Pocket cache, which has been there like two years with no finders. Who knows if it's even still there. Really it's just another level to the game, its fun for some people to add to the challenge, and some don't really care about it. It's a choice you make for yourself. Eventually when there aren't any caches for thirty or more miles, new caches take on a new meaning and being FTF on them makes it more fun. Just my .02.

It will be tougher on you, but I think you still have a sporting chance for an FTF as a non PM if you create a bookmark on caches by ZIP code. It only takes a minute to go through 10 or so pages scanning for an unfound cache. Of course, that depends on how many caches there are in your area and if you have dial-up or cable/DSL.

Oh my, I just read your first log: you don't even have a GPS. Well, it will be really tough getting an FTF without one!

Quickly, this cache near your first find remains unfound!

This puzzle is also unfound.

This actually happened to me yesterday. I saw a new cache had appeared very close to my girl friend's house. I was headed there soon and figured I'd stop on the way and grab my FTF. Sure enough as I pull up another cacher is there. He was very friendly. I found the cache and it really didn't matter anymore I hadn't got the FTF. I had a nice chat with a fellow cacher and found the cache and that's all that really mattered. I'll have more chances for a FTF.

^^ike

Oh my, I just read your first log: you don't even have a GPS. Well, it will be really tough getting an FTF without one!

Quickly, this cache near your first find remains unfound!

This puzzle is also unfound.

I don't know about that, my first FTF was without a GPSr. I have 41 total finds now with 5 of them being FTF's. Sometimes it's just a matter of dumb luck and being close to the cache.

Come to think of it, my first FTF was also done without a GPSr. I saw the listing first come up while at work and by reading the description and knowing the area I could visualize in my head exactly where the cache would be. I stopped by on my way home and sure enough - found it in under 10 minutes. Another one of our FTFs could have been done without the GPSr, but my wife insisted I turn it on at least before actually lifting up the lightpole skirt I was sure the cache was located under. I turned on the GPSr to see that I was at ground zero and then lifted up the skirt to reveal the cache.

here

My only FTF was on a 4/4 cache, way off in the boonies that no one wanted to go to. Sat for 2 weeks before I got to it. Just take your time and enjoy the hunts. Your First FTF will come.

<_< I'm with you on cheating.

FTF's are only fun, when the bloodhounds aren't out cloddhopping around and ruining the location, just to get a FTF.

We usually wait till they clear out.

Run your PQ's on "My Account" if you're a Premium Member, it'll email them to you.

We have a premium membership, but we have used none of its features to help us with FTFs. I wake up at 5am every day. God made me that way. First thing I do is pull up my account. Then I click on List Newest in SC. Then if there's a new cache close, I race Smudge of Team Wee Lee who also goes into work early to the hide. He's got a Mustang Cobra, but slow and steady wins the race and we usually arrive at the cache site at the same time. Teaming up, we make the find.

Since we both go to work so early. We get off work in the mid afternoon. I must work less hard than he does, because around 3 in the afternoon each day as I'm ready to leave work, I List Newest in SC again. If I see one, I get S to give me permission and go for it.

S and I have a mess of FTFs. Just become obsessed with it like I am, check the page every hour or two, and you'll get FTFs.

One thing though, I love sharing FTFs. So if I'm going for one, I usually call another cacher or two to join in the fun. Usually they can't, but I wish they could.

- T of TandS

here

My only FTF was on a 4/4 cache, way off in the boonies that no one wanted to go to.  Sat for 2 weeks before I got to it.  Just take your time and enjoy the hunts.  Your First FTF will come.

<_< I'm with you on cheating.

FTF's are only fun, when the bloodhounds aren't out cloddhopping around and ruining the location, just to get a FTF.

We usually wait till they clear out.

Run your PQ's on "My Account" if you're a Premium Member, it'll email them to you.

September 17 by Team AlphaOmega (111 found)

I had White Jeep "Stok" on my watchlist and saw it was placed in this cache. So before the cache was listed, me and D@nim@l embarked on the trip to get this cache. Took Stok. Left TB.

Wait for it!

We have a premium membership, but we have used none of its features to help us with FTFs. I wake up at 5am every day.

If I see one, I get S to give me permission and go for it.

S and I have a mess of FTFs. Just become obsessed with it like I am, check the page every hour or two, and you'll get FTFs.

One thing though, I love sharing FTFs. So if I'm going for one, I usually call another cacher or two to join in the fun. Usually they can't, but I wish they could.

- T of TandS

1. 5am even to me, a geoholic is yeah too early, in the winter time I tend to value NOT freezing off body parts.

2.We all know S is the true finder in the family :-)

3. Sharing FTF's with you is awesome, just not at 5am :-P

As stated by others, if not a PM, then list caches by your area code. Go as many pages deep as you are willing to drive to get a FTF. Look for the "new" icon, and see if it has been logged. If not, go for it.

Otherwise, as Lep mentioned, getting the instant email notification as a PM is very nice. So is creating a PQ list of just "new caches" that you can preview and not tie up servers. I do both of these to catch any new caches along the routes that I travel each day. Snagging a cache before/after work or during lunch sure does make the day somewhat brighter. I am not a big FTF hound, although I have 22 (only about 5 of those were deliberate attempts to be FTF).

5:00 am for FTF? Not in these parts would that work. <_< I love this quote in response to a FTF at 12:37 am: "I was very suprised to see that cachers are out between midnight and 430 in the morning. "Early bird gets the worm" doesn't work here. A better phrase might be "Be the worm." :ph34r:

I've found, that sleeping at least until 5am allows me to hold down a job and buy gps upgrades and other cache goodies. So, if it gets found before then, I don't have to worry about the finders being able to keep doing that, cuz they'll be looking for a job instead of caches! :huh:

Plus, it's a matter of respect for landowners and managers where caches are hidden to wait at least until dawn's early light to go seek.

- T of TandS

FTFs aren't that important. (Yeah, right!)

I check Search for nearest caches from your home coordinates (filter out finds) every morning. Saw a new one this morning. Solved the puzzle. Took a half day off, FTFed it at 1 PM. (Hey! It was a beautiful day!!) Beat another cacher to it by a half hour. Went on and found two more caches and a benchmark. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't. I do have to work for a living. I think I've got about 16 FTFs. :huh:

Save some money? It's $3.00 a month or you get a break if you buy a year. If you need to "save" to get $3.00 I'd suggest that you get another hobby.

Note: Yes, this may sound snotty but really...... $3.00???? Buy ONE month and see if you think it is worth it. Sheesh......

[Edit] Ok, so that's what I did. Really. I paid for one month to see what I was getting. After an extremely short time I switched to a regular, yearly premium membership. What a deal!

Edited by Thrak

We waited til the last minute to renew our membership with PayPal. Not because we weren't sure, but because we're cheap. Well it took a week for our Premium Membership to kick back in cuz PayPal's so slow. I nearly had a cow waiting for my premium features to come back!!

It's so worth it.

- T of TandS