Tiny Quibbles

dw

I have 2 little tiny complaints:

When I am inputting a waypoint name, or a zipcode, into the "From origin" part of the pocket query form, it would be nice if the radio button automatically clicked onto that one. I am dumb enough to have occasionally forgotten that extra click and gotten an error message.

And, if I am looking at a cache page and want to save the gc.com waypoint code (GCxxxx), if I double click on it in firefox it also grabs some of the following text, which is " (what ". Try it if this doesn't make sense! In IE it seems to work perfectly, it's just another little firefox problem.

Overall I think this is one of the best run websites around, I can't even think of functionality that I would wish for that it doesn't have! Thanks, Jeremy!

And, if I am looking at a cache page and want to save the gc.com waypoint code (GCxxxx), if I double click on it in firefox it also grabs some of the following text, which is " (what ". Try it if this doesn't make sense! In IE it seems to work perfectly, it's just another little firefox problem.

After messing around with it for a few minutes, I think Firefox is designed to highlight both the word you've clicked on and an adjacent word if you double-click the first or last letter in the word- such as the "G" or "4" in GC1234. It takes a little more practice, but clicking on the middle of the waypoint may solve this.

At least that's in FF Beta 1.5 on Mac OS 10.4, but I've found that Firefox behaves pretty much the same regardless of what platform you run it on.

This drives me nuts, too. It is a Firefox problem; the site uses a non-breaking space ( ) after the waypoint instead of a regular space, and Firefox doesn't seem to know that it is a space-like character.

It's simple for the site to work around; they could just replace the nonbreaking space with a regular space. There's already a regular space between "what's" and "this" anyway, so I don't think there is any serious formatting that will be broken. Meanwhile, the bug has been reported to Mozilla.

This drives me nuts, too.  It is a Firefox problem; the site uses a non-breaking space ( ) after the waypoint instead of a regular space, and Firefox doesn't seem to know that it is a space-like character.

You know, I thought it was the non-breaking space at first too, but after experimenting a bit, I think it's a different bug. The only thing I could come up with is that if you double-click to select a word that is followed by a link, it will also select the first word of the link. For proof, try double-clicking on the two words before the link below. There's no nbsp involved:

Foo bar Google foo bar blah blah.

I don't think there's a way for me to put a real   tag in a forum post, so I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader, but in my tests, with simple text separated by   characters (no links involved), FF correctly selected only the first word when I double-clicked.

Anyone know if this buggy behavior has been submitted to Mozilla as a bug?

Edited to add that I'm running FF 1.0.7 on Windows.

Edited by jvp

I messed around with what DavidMac wrote about. It always grabs the next characters, no matter where in the waypoint I click. However, if I click on the first character ( the "G"), it also grabs the preceding space and colon.

And, if this is a space issue, why does it only grab the next word up to but not including the apostrophe? The next word starts with an open parenthesis, and then the word "what's" . Firefox grabs " (what" , but not the " 's". What's up with that?

Hope this makes sense! And thanks for your input so far!