Most $'s Spent Hiding A Cache

onefastsol

I have an idea for a cache but it may get expensive for all of the parts. I am trying to figure where to draw the line. Sooooo... I was wanting to know what's the most you have spent on hidding a cache. Or where would you draw the line? This includes the container, contents, and everything that will go into creating the total experience of finding the cache.

Does the prize count? There's a group in Victoria BC Canada who give out $1000s of dollars worth of prizes in their caching contests.

They have one that just started, that anyone in the world can take part in, that will give away between US$500 and US$4600, depending on how quickly it is solved. It's called Globetrotter and more info can be found at www.vigps.com

I am making a cache which has 6 waypoints prior to the final cache, all in a stream. As a test I put a watertight box on a gallon jug of concrete to make sure it would not leak before I put stuff in it. I didn't find out if it leaked since we had a big storm and I guess my scout knots didn't hold. The gallon of concrete was moved some 30 feet and the rope and Pelican box are gone. That cost me $30 plus shipping. I also had spent some $10 on little toy fish to tie to more concrete as waypoints. They were very dorky and got slimed very quickly so I replaced them with concrete fish that I made from molds that cost me around $50 or $60. Now I have to get another water tight box for some $30 or so.

Plastic fish - $10

Concrete fish molds - $50

Water tight boxes - $60

Watching Team Psycho splash around in a trout stream... PRICELESS!!!

I really need to get this one done this weekend!!!! :ph34r:

My two largest caches and contents:

Cache, Cacher, Cache! -- Original contents: logbook and pen, 24 CD organizer, Brad Thor's State of the Union paperback, bota, toaster, Western Carolina University stadium cushion, Lock-and-Lock container [To be used for a new cache in Jackson County!], CD storage rack, Geocaching.com t-shirt (Youth Medium), AM/FM clock radio, giant coloring/activity book, All of Me DVD, can of tennis balls, Nerf football, inflatable boom bars, two kites, Magnetix set, tool box, solar calculator, mini stapler set, combination padlock, three piece camping utensil set, flashlight, garlic press, bag of marbles, 16 ounce insulated mug, Starman DVD, ceramic Edward Jones coffee mug, USB cable, hand sanitizer, George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine, and a frisbee. All items are new and unused.

OzGuff's 40th -- The original contents: logbook, pen, pencil, mechanical pencil, sharpener (all which should remain in the cache), frisbee, Kylie Minogue "Body Language" CD, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" CD, "Changing Lanes" DVD (with Ben Affleck and Samuel L Jackson), "Lara Croft Tomb Raider" DVD (with Angelina Jolie), "The Rugrats Movie" DVD (with Tommy, Chuckie, Lil, Phil and Angelica), "Matchbox: Safari" book, Girls Rule ornament, childrens calculator (batteries not included), triceratops [i recommend you open its mouth!], bungee cord, two HotWheels cars, a monster truck, carabineer, roll of sticky tape, two Edward Jones Mighty Grip kitchen tools, stretchy frog, tree pendant necklace, "The Little Book of Stupid Questions," camera lanyard (camera not included), Edward Jones deck of cards, wooden toy (one of those catch-the-ball-on-top-of-the-cone thingys), corn holder set (corn trays and skewers), "Survival of the Fittest" paperback (by Jonathan Kellerman), "The Dilbert Principle" paperback (by Scott Adams), whoopee cushion, pregnancy kit (expiration 11/2005; for $1 at The Dollar Store I couldn't resist it), purse brush (new and unopened), 3 stretch spring bracelets, 9" water blaster, Nerf football, and an Earth Day recycled pencil. There is also a million lira note from Turkey in the logbook as a FTF prize.

I try to put items that will appeal to a cross-section of cachers, young and less young. Most of my caches with trade items cost me $20 to $30 (container and stuff). New and unused DVDs are popular -- I usually find some decent titles at WallyWorld for $5.50.

Cache, Cacher, Cache! -- Original contents: logbook and pen, 24 CD organizer, Brad Thor's State of the Union paperback, bota, toaster, Western Carolina University stadium cushion, Lock-and-Lock container [To be used for a new cache in Jackson County!], CD storage rack, Geocaching.com t-shirt (Youth Medium), AM/FM clock radio, giant coloring/activity book, All of Me DVD, can of tennis balls, Nerf football, inflatable boom bars, two kites, Magnetix set, tool box, solar calculator, mini stapler set, combination padlock, three piece camping utensil set, flashlight, garlic press, bag of marbles, 16 ounce insulated mug, Starman DVD, ceramic Edward Jones coffee mug, USB cable, hand sanitizer, George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine, and a frisbee. All items are new and unused.

OzGuff's 40th -- The original contents: logbook, pen, pencil, mechanical pencil, sharpener (all which should remain in the cache), frisbee, Kylie Minogue "Body Language" CD, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" CD, "Changing Lanes" DVD (with Ben Affleck and Samuel L Jackson), "Lara Croft Tomb Raider" DVD (with Angelina Jolie), "The Rugrats Movie" DVD (with Tommy, Chuckie, Lil, Phil and Angelica), "Matchbox: Safari" book, Girls Rule ornament, childrens calculator (batteries not included), triceratops [i recommend you open its mouth!], bungee cord, two HotWheels cars, a monster truck, carabineer, roll of sticky tape, two Edward Jones Mighty Grip kitchen tools, stretchy frog, tree pendant necklace, "The Little Book of Stupid Questions," camera lanyard (camera not included), Edward Jones deck of cards, wooden toy (one of those catch-the-ball-on-top-of-the-cone thingys), corn holder set (corn trays and skewers), "Survival of the Fittest" paperback (by Jonathan Kellerman), "The Dilbert Principle" paperback (by Scott Adams), whoopee cushion, pregnancy kit (expiration 11/2005; for $1 at The Dollar Store I couldn't resist it), purse brush (new and unopened), 3 stretch spring bracelets, 9" water blaster, Nerf football, and an Earth Day recycled pencil. There is also a million lira note from Turkey in the logbook as a FTF prize.

dadgum! what kind of container do you use that all of that will fit in? Also if you stick to the guidelines of "if you take something, replace it with something of equal value" What are some of the items that people leave? I also take it that these are in areas that there is no chance of getting muggled. Oh and are these xmas presents that you received and didn't want?

Edited by onefastsol
Altogether, about 70 bucks.

Oddly enough, it was a log-only micro. :)

I just have to know what part of a micro costs $70?? :ph34r:

Since you have to know... :P

2b99477e-c404-4187-9660-daa17bd04c86.jpg

Fifty bucks on eBay, plus shipping (it weighs 13 pounds), plus four rare-earth magnets strong enough to secure it to a traffic light.

Edit to add: The actual cache is a 2 inch by 2 inch, flat plastic container velcroed to the backside.

(Sorry for the lousy image; my actual digital camera's on the fritz & my cell phone takes lousy shots.)

Edited by Team Perks
Altogether, about 70 bucks.

Oddly enough, it was a log-only micro. B)

I just have to know what part of a micro costs $70?? B)

Since you have to know... B)

2b99477e-c404-4187-9660-daa17bd04c86.jpg

Fifty bucks on eBay, plus shipping (it weighs 13 pounds), plus four rare-earth magnets strong enough to secure it to a traffic light.

Edit to add: The actual cache is a 2 inch by 2 inch, flat plastic container velcroed to the backside.

(Sorry for the lousy image; my actual digital camera's on the fritz & my cell phone takes lousy shots.)

In my profile, this cache was listed as the best camoed cache I have ever found.

I guess your having a hard time finding a new spot to hide that cache Andy.

I spent about $600 organising a cache event earlier this year. That includes the caches, their contents, that part of the printing and stationery which my employer didn't "kindly" provide B), phone costs, and the coffee, juice, and wine which we provided for participants. It didn't include anything for gas or car mileage.

Participation was free. However, at the dinner after the event, I passed a hat round and people put $500 in between them.

One of the puzzle caches for the event probably cost about $50 to make, *not including the swag* - just for the puzzle pieces.

Spent nearly 25 dollars and drove ten hours (roundtrip) placing three caches that I put a lot of thought & planning into, near where I had several others . . . placed it meeting all of the guidelines and never could get it approved by the reviewer.

From here on out, if I place more, they will be inexpensive/worthless in case they sit abandoned and unvisited due lack of reviewer approval like the several I have created that now, rest-in-peace.

Spent nearly 25 dollars and drove ten hours (roundtrip) placing three caches that I put a lot of thought & planning into, near where I had several others . . . placed it meeting all of the guidelines and never could get it approved by the reviewer

They sound like vacation caches, which would mean that they do not meet the guidelines. If they are within your maintainable distance why can't you just go and pick them up?

Spent nearly 25 dollars and drove ten hours (roundtrip) placing three caches that I put a lot of thought & planning into, near where I had several others . . . placed it meeting all of the guidelines and never could get it approved by the reviewer. 

From here on out, if I place more, they will be inexpensive/worthless in case they sit abandoned and unvisited due lack of reviewer approval like the several I have created that now, rest-in-peace.

Hiding something that is worthless will surely help geocaching as a whole. Is that the kind of cache you want to go looking for?

That sounds a bit like sour grapes.

Edit: typo

Edited by NoLemon
Spent nearly 25 dollars and drove ten hours (roundtrip) placing three caches that I put a lot of thought & planning into, near where I had several others . . . placed it meeting all of the guidelines and never could get it approved by the reviewer

They sound like vacation caches, which would mean that they do not meet the guidelines. If they are within your maintainable distance why can't you just go and pick them up?

Exactly. Otherwise it's littering.

Geolittering, are you saying? If the reviewer has a problem, then maybe you should address the problem.

Most of your hides are micros, so all your attempts at hiding caches with trading items inside we are shot down?

And you let them sit out there?

Maybe I made to much of this post, but most cache containers aren't biodegradable, and shouldn't be left idle.

Generally I spend about $30=00 to $40=00 (cad) on each of my caches - depends if I use a dollar store log book or a Geocache.com log book. I use 10 litre Ice Cream buckets scored cheaply from a local Ice Cream shop. That helps costs a bit and then just fill up with Dollar store stuff - and try not to make the trade items to trashy but people still tend to swap the items for trash! Oh well!!

Using a 10 litre sealable Ice Cream bucket means they are generally not urban caches with high muggle potential - I tend to put them on the outskirts of town or right out of town altogether. :)

Cache, Cacher, Cache! -- (Lengthy list of trade items deleted.)

OzGuff's 40th -- (Lengthy list of trade items deleted.

dadgum! what kind of container do you use that all of that will fit in? Also if you stick to the guidelines of "if you take something, replace it with something of equal value" What are some of the items that people leave? I also take it that these are in areas that there is no chance of getting muggled. Oh and are these xmas presents that you received and didn't want?

Cache, Cacher, Cache! was my 300th hide and the trade items were meant to be a "thank you" to folks for providing me with two years of fun. (Photo with two young kids shows container.) It is in a very secure location out in the woods and should be reasonably waterproof.

OzGuff's 40th was a cache hunt setup by caching relatives in Australia with the help of a local NC cacher. The container is a huge plastic fish food bucket. It was apparently bleached before being camo'ed, and has survived in the woods unmolested by bears for over a year. I decided to place an actual cache on the spot I found it, and used the container.

All items were purchased at WallyWorld; most are still in their original boxes. Come to western NC to see...

2ae4eeb8-be08-4c03-897d-286618638439.jpga1c50121-1095-49d5-97be-777d0ec2a02c.jpg

I  made This cache for free. I got a film canister, scrapped part of an old notebook for a logbook, and wrote a letter explaining geocaching to put in there. I guess it cost me about a penny. We were there for lunch, so no gas money. :D  :D  :mad:

I've found a lot like just like that :huh: .

No comment. :P (rolling eyes with briansnat)

I think I've spent 25 bucks to place a cache. I have seen people spend more.

(I predict one day someone will spend over $5000 of their own money on a hide.)

How bout Quantum Leap? That's (pure guess) probably a really expensive cache from what it sounds!

Oh sure, it cost$ thou$and$, but it's a labor of love. :D