Your Mapping Software Library.

Milbank

Here is my small collection of mapping software.

Garmin United States TOPO

Garmin MetroGuide North America v6

Magellan Topo

Expertgps.com

GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife)

The Magellan is the first mapping software I ever tried for my gps. I no longer use it as I have a Legend C now, but I still think it was the best software.

The Magellan topo would still show the roads (with name) around this area along with all the topo info. It was less money then any other software I bought and it all fit on one disk.

To get the road and topo info on my Legend I had to buy two diffent sets of software and spend a whole lot more money.

I would like to try the new Magellan Topo with a explorist someday. :P

I would also like to try some of the PC mapping software that is out there, just to play around with it.

Edited by Milbank

My main software now is

Magellan Topo 3D for my Explorist, I do not use my Exp. 500 while driving so I have no reason to load direct route into it.

I agree that the Magellan Topo having street names included is a big plus.

Magellan Direct route for my Meridian Gold for the auto routing to the cache area

Natiional Geographic Topo California when I want to carry a real USGS printed map showing caches in an area.

Micro soft streets and trips, I use this when I want to have a map of caches in an urban area loaded into my pocket PC.

I have some Garmin software someplace but I have not need for it now becasue I do not own any Garmion GPS products now.

I always get a little embarrassed when I list my inventory. I obviously have a problem.

ExpertGPS

MapSend DirectRoute

MapSend Topo3D

MapSource City Select 7

Natl Geographic Topo

Delorme TopoUSA 5

MS Streets & Trips 2003

They all have their specialties, so I use them all for different kinds of things, though there has been an evolution in my use (if my computer burned up or something and I had to replace them, I'd only get City Select and Topo3D...and maybe one or two more...or three. Maaaaybe four. Definetly not all of them, though. I can stop whenever I want. Yup. :P

Natiional Geographic Topo California when I want to carry a real USGS printed map showing caches in an area.

I would really like to try the national geographic software, but I see you have to buy it for each state.

I'm on the Mn/Sd boarder and I just can't get myself to pay $100 for one state or the other and end up with something that only covers have the area I run around in.

This part of South Dakota is preaty flat so if I did decide to by one I would probly try the minnesota topo.

Edited to add: Doing a quick search on ebay I see you can get NG topo for around $70, a little better then the $99 I was looking at on the national geographic site.

Edited by Milbank

Mapsend Topo Canada

Mapsend Direct NA

Mapsend Bluenav NA

Mapsend S&D Canada

Sttreets & Trips 2005

Mapsource Topo Canada

Mapsource Metro Guide Canada

Digital Ocean NW2,3,4,5,7.........use with my laptop at work running Off-Shore Navigator and Holux GPS.

I tthink I've got all I want.... :P

If my wife sees this, some of these are for business, and tax deductable.....really.

Street Atlas Handheld 2004 (for Palm OS)

Streets and Trips 2003

Natl Geo Topo Los Angeles. Sta Barbara

Natl Geo Topo Calif. (has GPS interface)

Thomas Guide (Rand MCNally) (for census Tract overlay-truly work related)

Google Earth

Metroguide USA v 1.0

Mapsource US Topo v 1.0

Mapsend Streets 1.0

Mapsend Topo

Mapsend Streets and Destinations

Mapsend Direct Route

Mapsend Topo 3d

The GPS programs are used in Legend, Meridian and Explorist. I use the Thomas Guide and S&T on my company laptop. I use the Natl Geographic Topo on PC and when printing maps. (I like the zoom and print better on the older LA/SB Topo.) Street Atlas is used on my Sony Clie. I just started using Google Earth.

GSAK for managing just about everything

MS Streets and Trips for planning caches along a route, and mapping out rough location of caches

National Geographic TOPO! for getting in and seeing what's *really* there that Streets and Trips didn't bother to tell me. Backroads Explorer edition is great, as it overlays street data (better street data than MS S&T). Backroads Explorer + the 1:24,000 scale topos from the "State Series" is perfect for anything.

I have all of my map software shortcuts in a folder labeled "Maps" on my desktop. It includes:

Google Earth (freeware)

GSAK (the greatest software bargain around)

MapSource, from which I load

City Select ver. 6

Topo USA

NG Topo!, for which I have

Back RoadsExplorer (100K topo maps of the US)

Texas 24K Topo maps

USAPhotomaps (donationware)

Worldwind (freeware from NASA)

The freeware and donationware are great if you've got the bandwidth for them.

Lowrance MapCreate topo 6 for the H20

Magellan Mapsend topo for the Merigold

MS Streets and Trips on the PC

Pocket Streets on the PDA

Outdoor Navigator for USGS topos on the PDA

Topozone for USGS topos on the PC

...and yes I use GSAK also, but I don't consider it mapping software.

Don't forget OziExplorer  :ph34r: (or perhaps I am just biased because of where I hail from)

I checked out the trial - I really like the software, but I've looked just about everywhere I can think of and can't for the life of me figure out where I would get useful maps for it. The site is not much help; it does have links to possible map sources but I can't figure out what I am supposed to be looking for when following those links. I certainly don't have a scanner big enough to handle any topos.

I checked out the trial - I really like the software, but I've looked just about everywhere I can think of and can't for the life of me figure out where I would get useful maps for it. 

If you're in the US, this is a great place to look...

http://home.pacbell.net/lgalvin/drgnotes.htm

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

Google Earth

GSAK

Streets & Trips 2005

iGuidance

They each have their features that I like. Google Earth is fun for looking at images. I've not really used it as a way to get from point A to point B.

GSAK has obvious importance to anyone into Geocaching. How can a person survive without it?

Streets & Trips does the best job of finding the best route from point A to point B (and C and D). The only things I don't like about it are that it doesn't keep the current location centered on the screen and of course you have to look at it. It's hard to see the screen on a bright summer day in the car. Best to keep the eyes on the road instead so for driving, it's a mixed blessing. I also like to import all the area caches into Streets and Trips from GSAK because it makes it very easy to decide which caches are close enough to my route to set as a target.

iGuidance (or "Tracy" as I call mine when I talk to it) is the best program I've found for driving. It's verbal directions mean I don't need to take my eyes off the road. Two disadvantages of the software are major however. 1) It doesn't tell you when it's lost the GPS signal. If your GPS come unplugged or the batteries die you can drive for many miles before you know you're driving blind. 2) I don't know how it calculates the "best" route sometimes but it clearly needs work. Just this weekend for example I told it where I wanted to go, and that I wanted to avoid a road due to construction. The software routed me six miles "around the block" and back to my end destination a couple of blocks away. Worse yet, instead of avoiding the road it was supposed to avoid it took me on that road for a long distance rather than taking the next road over. In fact, it had me spending much more time on the "avoided" road than I would have if I hadn't told it to avoid the road in the first place.

I've seen many cases where the software will have me exit the highway then re-enter the highway on the other side of the exit ramp. Why? Because it was "shorter" to cut over the exit/entrance ramp than to stay on the Interstate. Even when in "fastest" or "major highway" mode I've seen it do the same thing.

If I could somehow combine Streets and Trips with iGuidance I'd have the best driving software in the world.

MapSource TOPO Canada

FUGAWI

SoftMap Topo50 maps for my area

Spectrum Digital Imaging 1:50000 DRG maps for my area

OziExplorer

GPS TrackMaker

Toporama maps for Canada

MS Streets&Trips 2004

Google Earth

GSAK

www.gpsvisualizer.com online aite which has the best satellite coverage for my location in Canada

Edited to add that I've just started using MapDekode to add my local trails to MapSource as transparent maps.

Edited by PDOP's

I have Magellan's Streets and Destinations and GSAK (as well as other apps which can be used with it), but I'm looking for a program that will allow me to include the images on cache pages (sans maps) for uploading to my PDA. I've had DirectRoute on my wish list since I got my MeriGold, but something always comes up that keeps me from affording it.

MapSend DirectRoute

MapSend Topo3D Canada

I would like to find something that would cover lets say 10 to 20 miles of the U.S./ Canada border. Spend time fishing in the Boundery Waters area. Switching between detail maps is to much.

Like this?

Here's the coverage map.

Sorry, I saw that you're a Magellan user. Just couldn't resist.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey

Redwoods Mtn Biker

Like this?

Here's the coverage map.

Sorry, I saw that you're a Magellan user. Just couldn't resist.

Same issue with Garmin product! Does not cover the area I require. Checked into that when I first started looking to purchase a GPS.

Too bad. You can make your own maps for many Magellan units using MobileMapper software. If its an area you frequent, it may be worth it.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

"FUGAWI"??????

OMG. This is from an old joke. Remember the pictures of the Indian (ok, Native American) with his hand up to his forehead peering into the distance? This was referred to as the FUGAWI tribe where the guy is thinking, "Where the FUGAWI?" "Where the F*** Are We?"

Wow. I wonder who decide to use that name......