City Select North America Version 7

A.T.Hiker

Hey all-

I was wondering about Garmin's New city select north america verision 7 package. Currently, I use version 6, and love it, except for the fact it's a memory hog, and living in the New York area, neither the Legend C or 60C can take a lot of map info. I wish Garmin had thought of this when releasing units without expandable memory. I heard rumors that Garmin has increased the available areas to select in version 7 to include entire states. I hope they have either done something with the map sizes or left an option to select small regions, as that would render version 7 useless with the handhelds, particulary for those living in more urban areas where Manhattan itself takes about 10 MB of memory.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

AFAIK, it's only City *Navigator*-NA and a special version of City Select-NA that's packaged with some units that have expandable memory, like the i3, that use the larger regions. The regular City Select-NA v7 still has the same regions as v6 but in general the maps use a little more memory with the addition of more roads and POIs.

I bought City select NA version 6 a few months ago and updated to version 6.8 with no problems. Now when I click on "check for software updates" it says "there are no software updates currently available for MapSource" Anyone have a clue why I can't upgrade to v7. My only guess is that I may need to contact Garmin?

I bought City select NA version 6 a few months ago and updated to version 6.8 with no problems.

I think what you updated was Mapsource or what ever the program is called that you use to view Metroguied/topo/City select maps with.

I know I just updated (just today) to ver 6.8 and I dont' even have City Select. I have the metroguide V6 and the topo maps.

Depending on when you bought v6, it might cost you nothing to upgrade to v7. If you bought it one month before the official release date of v7 or anytime after that, Garmin will send you a DVD with v7 free and you can go online to get the unlock codes, also at no charge. You can call Garmin or check their online support for details.

WOW! this is the first time I looked at the maps for version seven.

Any one know where they get the data outside of the major towns? Because they are horrible, worse than the tiger maps, worse than city select 5.00, and WAY worse than city select 6.00 (for my town and area at least).

I am so suprished to see such a step back for my area when I thought the maps were pretty good for my town with version 6.00.

Wyatt W.

WOW! this is the first time I looked at the maps for version seven.

Any one know where they get the data outside of the major towns? Because they are horrible, worse than the tiger maps, worse than city select 5.00, and WAY worse than city select 6.00 (for my town and area at least).

I am so suprished to see such a step back for my area when I thought the maps were pretty good for my town with version 6.00.

Wyatt W.

AFAIK, they are getting their data from the same vendor--Navteq. That surprises me, every area I looked at on the map viewer, the roads were the same as V6, the only difference was the POIs.

This is a good reason to only buy every third or fourth version of the mapping software. I didn't notice much difference between version 5 and version 6, so I'm going to just skip version 7 and wait for version 8 or 9. Not worth the $100 IMHO.

Makes me also wonder how much more memory version 7 takes up than version 6? Version 6 uses up about 50% more memory than version 5! This also makes me want to put off upgrading. I'll put up with slightly older maps in order to get more maps on my unit.

The problem with my City Select Version 5, is that there are so many broken connections on the road, and the GPS wants to autoroute me around the broken connections. The roads show up on the map screen as solid, but some how the autorouting has some broken connections in the Detroit Michigan area. There are some exits that are missing from the maps also.

I ordered the version 7 update on-line today. From what I can tell, Garmin mails the update disk and then during the software install process the cost of the upgrade is determined (free or $75). I believe this is done by examining your previous unlock code.

I have a few local road problems too, with version 6. I'll post whether these were corrected in v7, and if I feel the upgrade is worth the $75 asking price.

Edited by markhp