Anyone Out Caching In The Dark?

The Blorenges

Have done a couple recently with Alibags in the dark. Great fun, and in the case of small micros, more of a challenge. However, one cache showed up like a beacon as soon as I shone my torch on it because it wasnt hidden too well. I have seen reflectors for night time caching for sale on some sites-it must look like landing lights leading to the cache :)

This seems to be in your neck of the woods Mrs B, and I note that you have not recorded it as 'found' yet in the daylight, let alone the dark. Some things are a lot more fun in the dark its true, but not in my mind geocaching. I find it difficult enough in daylight missing the nettles, hawthorn branches, holes, roots, barbed wire, fences, etc, so would not stand a chance at night. Would also feel a little silly walking around with a light on my head like a gynaecologist, or Welsh child under 16, (Welsh Miner). Still each to their own, if one finds it fun, then enjoy.

I dont think I will attempt to do any caches in the dark, I have enough trouble with balance as it is and Im bound to disturb a tramp or be mugged.

Somebody did my cache in the dark and took pictures of the surrounding cities which were pretty good and Im currently developing a multi cache for Halloween which will have some glow in the dark items in it. B)

This seems to be in your neck of the woods Mrs B, and I note that you have not recorded it as 'found' yet in the daylight, let alone the dark.

Yes, Skirrid Fawr is not far from us - We have been up it, but it was in our "BG" times about 4 years ago. As for caching in the dark, we do have this one: Night Glow where, if you're really lucky, you can see things that glow in the dark..... B)

Edited by The Blorenges

Granny's bonnets, ants that bite and glowing worms sounds just the place to spend the night ! The names of the other woods nearby have been strangely named also, were they named in the dark perhaps by granny ? before she was bitten by an ant!! No I'll keep to the daylight I think, your welcome to your glowing worm.

not into it myself as mainly cache for the exercise and views.

just a little reminder though, some areas like forestry commision ban night caching. if some people insist on doing it still we all could loose out.....

Clearly from the lack of response to this topic there are not many who participate in caching during the hours of darkness. I would suggest there a quite a number of cachers who will recognise the quoted remarks are aimed at myself and Prince of Darkness.

Well done nobby.nobbs if you are aware mine or Prince of Darkness night caching activities are in contravention of local Geocaching guidelines you are at fault for not bringing it to my attention. You've had plenty of opportunity as you'll have read the logs for night time visits to your New Forest caches over the last couple of months since I arrived and took up residency in the area.

If you are so concerned about "if some people insist on doing it still we all could loose out....." then a simple email to me would have brought my attention to the potential problem.

Three points here to fellow Geocachers:

1. There are those users of the forums who prefer the public "knife in the back" approach rather than a personal email.

2. Look up the Agreements Database on www.gagb.org.uk here and familiarise yourself with local Geocaching guidelines before venturing out caching into the areas listed.

3. If you are aware a fellow Geocacher has contravened guidelines respond to their log and email them. It's for the good and benefit of the activity. Groundspeak have made the emailing of each other such a simple process.

Beware of point 2 as there are those who would rather apply point 1 in preference to point 3.

Personally i always state if my visit is a night caching mission..Im country born n bred so the dark holds no demons for me..Obviously i avoid caches near houses etc, or where there may be a problem.

I like night caching as i can avoid other people, cachers and muggles alike and get on with the job in hand.....if people are going to get agitated about nocturnal visits then why not CLEARLY state whether a cache is 'night' friendly or not ?.....not many people bother.

I wonder if anybody else, like myself, worries about applying the icons in some cases. If I say you can do my cache at night, could it be seen that I was recommending it, and so if somebody breaks their leg when night caching, the finger could be pointed. I have the same qualms about saying a cache is suitable for children unless it is in the safest place imaginable. It is not really up to me to make those choices on behalf of other people. I have used the icons, but I do wonder about it.... :)

I have been out night caching plenty of times. Sometimes I have not enjoyed it I admit, but at other times it has greatly enhanced the whole experience. Who could forget the mass mosh in the woods at last year's Halloween Monster Cache bash?!! 30 odd (either interpretation of the word applies) running about the woods like excited school kids dressed as ghosts and witches. B)

BTW, if a public right of way exists, then it's still a public right of way after dark. I can understand that some muggles may be worried about 'weirdos' choosing to walk after dark and so I would always aim to be discreet and avoid paths through people's gardens, perhaps, but if your activities are legitimate and your conscience is clear, there should be no worry.

I've done a few night time caches. Usually they're if I've been out all day and it gets dark when there's still a few caches I want to find. Now the nights are drawing in I may do a few more specific night caches, then again, I might just go to the pub B)

Night caching does add an extra element to the game and I'd recommend most people at least give it a go.

As SP says though, there are a few things to watch out for i.e.

- People out shooting (they usually have a right to be there but if you see/hear them, it's best to make yourself known so that they don't think you're a bunny etc. and take a pot shot at you!

- Mud, nettles, brambles and holes are all very difficult to spot in the dark.

- and you will be scared out of your witts by the obligatory wood pigeon that decides to fly off making a noise like a banshee when you get to within 6" of it!!! :)

A few of the caches I've done at night are:-

Seckington Stump

Alchemy Quest - Badger

Village Quest

George Washington

And probably my favourite night time cache Hard Prest

Edited by nediam

just a little reminder though, some areas like forestry commision ban night caching. if some people insist on doing it still we all could loose out.....

Having taken time to check through the various Forestry Commission guidelines listed on GAGB the only FC to restrict geocaching activities to daytime appears to be the New Forest.

The quoted "some areas like forestry commision ban night caching." would appear to be an incorrect statement.

I was looking at some local FC land for the resurrection of my Missing Cacher (for those who don't know, it was designed to be done specifically at night) cache so I'm glad to hear it would have been ok there. That said, someone else has put a Premium Mummers Only cache there (or there abouts - I had to email for the co-ords), forcing me to eat my words about there being none local to me!

I don't tend to do a lot of night caching, as it's easy to miss views and cool stuff, but I own/have owned several which are all about the atmosphere and are/were intended to be done at night. I always use the night-time icon to recommend them, and the 24/7 icon to say it's possible to do at night, but perhaps not recommended (replying to Alibags point). Personally I'd like to see more caches set with a view to being found at night. In the winter there's more night than day and winter is most assuredly coming...

SP

I do not strictly night cache

rather i cache in the twilight of dawn ;)

This morning found me walking down a bridle path as the sun rose over the mersey estuary in front of me and the lights of stanlow and weton point chemical works gave a better show than blackpool illuminations. ;)

beautiful

the only things that marred this idylic scene was that i didn't find the cache! <_<

i'm usually the master at dawn raids generaly before 7am but this time i failed

Anybody else cache at dawn?

Do you find that your Dnfs increase as the light decreases?

Having taken time to check through the various Forestry Commission guidelines listed on GAGB the only FC to restrict geocaching activities to daytime appears to be the New Forest.

The quoted "some areas like forestry commision ban night caching." would appear to be an incorrect statement.

good job i put that flame proof suit on!!

no need to take it personally, if i felt so strongly as you suggest i would have emailled you or adjusted the logs etc etc. as i don't have hugely strong feelings on the subject i didn't, nor did i identify you as being a target for my comment.

as the thread came up i thought i would add a little pointer that it's not always "allowed"

take a chill pill and try to not jump down my throat next time. life's far too short to get wound up by anything i say! :P

good job i put that flame proof suit on!!

no need to take it personally, if i felt so strongly as you suggest i would have emailled you or adjusted the logs etc etc. as i don't have hugely strong feelings on the subject i didn't, nor did i identify you as being a target for my comment.

as the thread came up i thought i would add a little pointer that it's not always "allowed"

take a chill pill and try to not jump down my throat next time. life's far too short to get wound up by anything i say!

Chill pill taken, life is too short!

Between us though we've highlighted the very important point of checking the local guidelines before venturing out into an area caching. The fact is that Geocaching local guidelines are not just specific to the placing of a cache, they contain relevant information on searching for them as well. It's caught me out on this occasion having just returned to the New Forest area after 4 years away!

To all fellow Geocachers. Once again the link to the www.gagb.org.uk/glad (Agreements Database) here. There's been a great deal of effort by individuals gone into gaining these agreements so for the good and benefit of our activity if you realise someone is in contravention then let them know. A personal email through the system is all it takes.

And it must be said, for those receiving advice from others in reflection of above don't take it personally. Look it up, realise your mistake and be thankful it had been brought to your attention!

Back into the topic, as Alibags says "...if a public right of way exists, then it's still a public right of way after dark." Isn't it a shame that if you do anything that is not considered mainstream you are labelled weird no matter how harmless your pursuit is. I'm sure we are all aware of being perceived as weird by some of our friends/family/work colleagues for our Geocaching activities, that's due to their lack of understanding, but we in turn sometimes fail to understand internally when it comes to carrying out these activities in a slightly different manner!

By the way, it's illegal to discharge a firearm within 50 feet of any public right of way (even after dark) and anybody who shoots at random rustlings in the bushes, without getting a clear view of what they are shooting at can certainly be tried under the law against negligent discharge of a firearm. Cannot do anything about the fact that it's scary to be in the dark near where shooting is going on though... oh, or that people seem to like to threaten SP with a shotgun (also illegal although understandable) :P .

Can't remember the exact words used ...

but there was an feature on radio about creatures and birds being startled when people unexpectedly appeared near them in places that are normally quiet at night .

In taking flight they use up energy reserves ,that can be a bit lacking, especially during winter .

Off topic about caching in the dark....

the radio feature I mentioned about creatures being startled at night wasting energy reserves had started by mentioning a coastal strip in Scotland that has a huge flock of birds that rest on the beach .

People were taking pleasure in walking amongst them for the spectacle of seeing this huge flock of birds take flight .

The wardens had no power to ban people from walking amongst the birds ,but most people refrained from doing so after it was explained to them why it was detrimental the the birds welfare .

Came across this while looking for ideas, now that is one scary sounding night cache. Pity it is in the States.

Does look like quite a cool cache to visit. Eerie sounds of the children makes it sound quite spooky, but the bear(s) reference makes me think twice about it! :unsure::unsure:

Try Wait until dark 2 which is one of pengy and tiggers.

Excellent idea and will soon be attempting it myself now the nights are drawing in.

Iain tha Bargee

Came across this while looking for ideas, now that is one scary sounding night cache. Pity it is in the States.

Does look like quite a cool cache to visit. Eerie sounds of the children makes it sound quite spooky, but the bear(s) reference makes me think twice about it! :o:lol:

Try Wait until dark 2 which is one of pengy and tiggers.

Excellent idea and will soon be attempting it myself now the nights are drawing in.

Iain tha Bargee

Thanks for the link, didn't know of any reflector trails in the UK.

Might hav a go at that. It's a bit far from my home but it's about 3,200 miles closer than the other one! :lol:

I think an off shoot of this thread is called for, "Caches designed to be done at night" or something alike, for people to post links to caches designed specifically to be done at night.

(I'd volunteer my self, but I'm off down the pub in a bit :P:lol: )

Alibags and I attempted to find a cache at 1am in a wood in the middle of nowhere next to an abandoned hospital. We were definitely being watched by person/persons unknown. Normally I enjoy night time wanders in woodlands [last time I did this I was dressed as a Druid during a Halloween evening - don't ask :lol:] but this place definitely had an unpleasant atmosphere :lol:

What a very clever idea for a cache route!  The ingenuity of cache setters is great!  Wish we were nearer to it ....

Now, if only I could get my glow-worms to be as co-operative as those fire-flies... :lol:  Mrs B

I think if you had done one of P&T's caches you would not be saying "ingenuity" you would be saying "the cunning devils"

No offence meant P&T I always enjoy your caches :lol:

Milton (aka moote)

Edited by Moote

Ive been followed on one cache at night for sure..2 blokes tracking me whilst doing 'the watcher gives 3' thru to 'the watcher gives bonus'..this was at 2am on a very dark night..I evaded them as they were less than skilled.

On a serious note...It is always sensible to be aware of ones surroundings,day or night.always try to have a different route out of harms way...we are in uncertain times and its prudent to be on ones guard.

now really with my sleeping patterns i should be one of the top night cachers!!

too busy sitting in the warm infront of the computer listening to alex lester on the radio :lol:

that and no one else is placing caches round here much....come on pyoung1s lets see some caches designed to be done at night. :ph34r:

I know Prince of Darkness has been working on the idea but thankfully New Forest night restrictions came to light (excuse the pun!) early enough. However, there's plenty of opportunity locally outside the boundary! Equipment is already in stock, ideas and planning progress!

Maybe the ghosts on St Catherines hill Facing Saints can add that extra night time dimension?!

now really with my sleeping patterns i should be one of the top night cachers!!

too busy sitting in the warm infront of the computer listening to alex lester on the radio :laughing:

that and no one else is placing caches round here much....come on pyoung1s lets see some caches designed to be done at night. :laughing:

I know Prince of Darkness has been working on the idea but thankfully New Forest night restrictions came to light (excuse the pun!) early enough. However, there's plenty of opportunity locally outside the boundary! Equipment is already in stock, ideas and planning progress!

Maybe the ghosts on St Catherines hill Facing Saints can add that extra night time dimension?!

creepy!

i used to work lots of nights and there are some dadgum odd people out there. i like that comforting feeling of a four cell mag light.

time to dig out the night vision gear i have somewhere. i await the cache with interest.