Forum Private Messages

ODragon

Would there be a way to make the not at the top right a little more noticable when you have a private message? I had one in there for over a month before i realized it was there as I almost never use it. Maybe make it red and blinking or something along those lines. (Or maybe an e-mail telling you you have a private message waiting for you on the forums?)

You can set it up to send you an email when you have a PM.  Then a link will take you to the PM.

Do you know where that option is?

I have: "Do you wish to get a pop up notification when you get a new private message?" set to yes but I got no pop-up, assuming that's due to pop-up blocker...

Oh, there is it... Seems to me that the option:

Send a confirmation email when I receive a new private message

Should be checked defaultly and give people the option of turning it off...

Still, having that be red when you get a message would probably be a lot more useful as you have to SET the thing to e-mail you... I didn't even know the option was there and I've been on the board for over a year now...

Edited by odragon
I have: "Do you wish to get a pop up notification when you get a new private message?" set to yes but I got no pop-up, assuming that's due to pop-up blocker...

bingo. Once I configured my popup blocker to allow popups from forums.Groundspeak.com, I saw my PM's instantly. I'm in the forums more often than I check e-mail. For others, e-mail notices work better, but I wouldn't want the e-mail option set up as a default. I have too many e-mails coming in already!

Edited by The Leprechauns
so, could someone help me here. Is there a protocal to using a PM thru the forum versus e-mailing them through their profile? Is there a time to use each...or will either do at any time.

If I'm writing to someone about a subject presently being discussed in the forums, I send a forum PM.

If I'm writing to a friend who's a fellow forum junkie, about anything ranging from personal gossip to geocaching issues, I send a forum PM.

If I'm writing to someone I don't know very well or who doesn't frequent the forums, and the issue has nothing to do with the forums, I generally send an e-mail.