Trash Hides?

XGrunt

We found a recent cache only because we were practicing CITO. The hide was a small tupperware container glued to the bottom of a crushed soda can. What are the rules on this? I mean it really was a pretty cool cache but it was still trash. There was alot of trash in this area by the way. Just wondering.

It may help if you told us a little bit more. For example, on the cache page, did they slyly tell you to watch out for funny-looking beverage containers? (or something?)

In general, people may camouflage their hides any way they see fit. It adds to the mystery of the hunt.

I have seen some CLEVER ways to disguise a cache as though it may be a bit of litter - but through creative wording or through creative placement out in the field: there is no doubt that it is the cache and not a piece of refuse.

Unfortunately, there are many unclever ways.

This particularly cache was a Pepsi can that was crushed and flattened out. The tupperware container was glued to the can and placed in a small depression. Area was a city park with alot of hiking trails. The clue was "Brittany likes it." Like I said I thought is was a fairly clever cache but just wondered about adding to the "trash" that others had already thrown there.

The question I have is if we are being responsible and cleaning up an area, why would you want to hide a cache that looked like garbage. There must be other ways to cammo it and ask people to clean up the area. If all the trash is gone there would be one can left, the cache. I am not attempting to bad mouth a hide but I do not see the logic there.

I have a cache that is hidden underneath an old rusted paint can (out in the woods) with another can lying near by as a "prop". One person made a joke about it since I have a CITO sticker on top the cache lid. So far no one has tried to "clean them up" although one muggle's kid did find it out on a family walk. I guess curiosity got the best of him (boys will be boys and all that).

It may help if you told us a little bit more. For example, on the cache page, did they slyly tell you to watch out for funny-looking beverage containers? (or something?)

In general, people may camouflage their hides any way they see fit. It adds to the mystery of the hunt.

I have seen some CLEVER ways to disguise a cache as though it may be a bit of litter - but through creative wording or through creative placement out in the field: there is no doubt that it is the cache and not a piece of refuse.

Yeah, and the description would also mention to CITO to keep the earth looking beautiful :D And the cache is in a Pepsi can that is second to pure TRASH :D

Well, I've been to a cache that had a pill container velcroed inside a coke can that was crumpled up to look like trash placed at the base of a guardrail on the side of the road. :D

What is it with cachers who are supposed to be doing a good deed by throwing trash away (OUT OF SIGHT) and placing a rubbermaid in the woods...when in reality we are recycling tin cans disguised as trash so that the common people will overlook it 'cause there is enough trash in the world as their is, and they will thus leave the cache alone 'cause people are simply lazy and don't pick it up as they should and the cache lasts a year lifetime :D GOSH.

Edited by Super_Nate
I have a cache that is hidden underneath an old rusted paint can (out in the woods) with another can lying near by as a "prop". One person made a joke about it since I have a CITO sticker on top the cache lid. So far no one has tried to "clean them up" although one muggle's kid did find it out on a family walk. I guess curiosity got the best of him (boys will be boys and all that).

My point made :D

The logic is about a cammo hide. If you did practice CITO you would find it. If you didn't...you wouldn't.

In reality as a cache container it's not litter. it has an owner who is responsible for maintaining the state of the cache and picking it up when it's served it's life.

But perception is everything. In the eyes of the general public it's trash. Just doesn't seem like the image of geocaching that we want.

It does give whole new meaning to the phrase "garbage cache" doesn't it?

The logic is about a cammo hide.  If you did practice CITO you would find it. If you didn't...you wouldn't.

In reality as a cache container it's not litter. it has an owner who is responsible for maintaining the state of the cache and picking it up when it's served it's life.

But perception is everything. In the eyes of the general public it's trash. Just doesn't seem like the image of geocaching that we want.

It does give whole new meaning to the phrase "garbage cache" doesn't it?

True: If a scout troup comes through and cleans up the park and the cache is tossed out...that's a risk of that kind of hide. Plus I'm not going to be the guy explaining to the park manager the concept of trash cammo as an advanced hide. Of the two hides know like this one was trashed out and archived, and one stolen and later replaced.

I own a trash cache. As I was scouting the area for a hide I picked up a very rustyold can, complete with target practice holes. It struck me that I could stick a decon in it - thus simultaneously camoing the decon, and providing a great hint under the heavy tree cover - don't CITO me. So I did. I have a permit from the park for that hide. At this point, it isn't litter, it's a cache. I do feel that the nature of the trash hide matters. This old rusted can will absolutely disappear over time, rusting to bits. An aluminum can, or the worst trash cache I ever saw, a used auto oil filter, will not. I'm not real attached to that hide, but I'm not real motivated to change it either.