Possible Isle Of Man Event Aug 2006

markandlynn

Hi all.

We are planning next years holiday's probably just like a few other people hence the very early post.

As Krystal (our eldest daughter) has a friend who is a boy on the Isle of Man and he is a cacher we are going over there next August W/C 31st July or W/C 7th Aug. Would anyone else be interested in attending (from over the water on either side) as we are proposing to make one of the days an event cache ?

Shall post costs and campsites etc later we do have the details but for a different week :laughing:

A list of caches in the Isle of Man can be found here 57 at the time of posting.

I should be able to get to the event - I'll pencil it in. Perhaps there will be a FTF opportunity for someone on the day...

There should be a few more caches by then, if 57 isn't enough! For instance, I'm hoping to set up a couple of simulations of interesting Californian caches soon, and Ozetraveller has permission for a new one in the most beautiful valley on the island.

HH

I should be able to get to the event - I'll pencil it in. Perhaps there will be a FTF opportunity for someone on the day...

There should be a few more caches by then, if 57 isn't enough! For instance, I'm hoping to set up a couple of simulations of interesting Californian caches soon, and Ozetraveller has permission for a new one in the most beautiful valley on the island.

HH

Many thanks

Without going through the list how many of those 57 are yours ?

As a matter of fact your efforts on the Isle of Man certainly tipped the ballance between us going over or staying here.

OK dates we are going over are Friday 28th July to Sat 5th August.

Proposed date for the event is the 30th July (sunday)

The campsite we are using is near to Peel and apparently has beach access.

In case the campsite isn't keen on barbecues etc we need to locate a nearby kid friendly pub, and then work on buying wine for the approvers to approve the cache early :)

I just checked on the number of IOM caches: the 57 included one disabled one (which looks likely to stay disabled), so we're down to 56. The good news is that I've added another 4 this weekend so the total is now 60. Plenty to keep you amused! Some of the new ones will baffle the expert too...but you'll have to see them to know what I mean!

:rolleyes:

HH

Were putting together some more details re ferry, transportation and the camp site we hope to stay at.

When we have these (and some confirmed co ordinates for the campsite :blink: ) we will start a new thread removing the possible from the top.

Have contacted the approvers re when the event can be listed as we are aware that anyone not based on the Isle of Man would probably consider this to be a holiday week away rather than a one off day trip ?? and thus would need plenty of planning time.

We are hoping some of the irish cachers may be interested ?.

Of course we will twist some arms for FINAL cordinates for all those puzzle caches :rolleyes:

Would love to come, I have always wanted to visit the IoM, just a shame there will be no lunatics screaming around at 1000mph :) but hey you can't have it all.

Just have to see if I can get the rest of the clan to sign up to it for there hols.

BTW it will have to be doggie friendly as we couldn't possibly leave Chester behind.

Sounds good ... has anyone already done the legwork with regards to sea crossings, times and fares, etc? B)

Doing that now the ferry crossings are a bit hard as we are to far in front to get prices for that time of year, have sent an email though.

When we have all the details we shall start a new thread, have found a few campsites that actually cater for rallies !! and have all the other required facilities ie (and please add to these)

Take dogs

Children

Caravans and tents and camper vans and ray mears type shelters :)

Electrical hookup

Showers

Laundry

Nearby "proper accomodation" not an issue on the island really!

Will allow a load of drunken firelighters on site B):):o

Nearby acces to loads of caches (no problem there)

Ferry's are quite expensive www.steampacket.com (i think)

Despite having to put Geocaching on hold since the beginning of the month due to personal reasons I have been reading the forums. Lovely idea to have an Isle of Man event. Unfortunately , no doubt I will be geocaching somewhere in the UK at that time but I am sure the other IOM cachers will make you all welcome. Just one point, I think you may find caravans are not allowed to be brought to the island but I did see a few come off the ferry from the manx Grand Prix so you may be able to get exceptions. Best to check with the Sea Packet company prior.

As for HH's new caches, I have the Swimbags and Nibbo coming over to stay in a couple of weeks so Hey Ho Geocaching we will go.

I think you may find caravans are not allowed to be brought to the island

Just to be clear on this, camper vans are OK (but the really big motorhomes will have to be booked specially). Caravans are only allowed with special government permission.

HH

There are restrictions on caravans, You need to contact the Isle of Man Government.

contact details are available on request via our profile but please wait until we have a confirmed campsite (see below)

These requests go to the planning commitee

please note the number of sites with hook ups is severely limited and we need to locate a site that will accept caravans and may even need to detail where on site caravans will be parked.

There is no point contacting them at this stage as we have no site to tell them about and they must have those details to give permission.

Very nice and helpfull on the phone :ph34r:

Sounds like a brilliant idea and we're a very friendly lot over here so you'll all be made most welcome. There are some brilliant caches (and some very frustrating caches..!) on the Island, mostly thanks to HH, and no doubt many more by next year. I'm sure a couple of years back someone managed to find them all on a visit and although there are lots more now it would still prove to be a great challenge.

OK we have had another excellent response from the campsite.

Cost is £4 per person per night we are checking for kiddie reductions on this. They will offer reductions if numbers are high enough and they have electric hook ups for caravans.

They will also keep us all in our own enclosure!!.

Can anyone who has decided to come please email us directly to confirm as this gives us a starting point for negotiations with the campsite.

The ferry costs are available from here unfortunately next years prices are not yet available but were talking to them.

OK we have had another excellent response from the campsite.

Cost is £4 per person per night we are checking for kiddie reductions on this. They will offer reductions if numbers are high enough and they have electric hook ups for caravans.

They will also keep us all in our own enclosure!!.

Can anyone who has decided to come please email us directly to confirm as this gives us a  starting point for negotiations with the campsite.

The ferry costs are available from here unfortunately next years prices are not yet available but were talking to them.

will those who need a hook up be in the same field as those who don't?

This ruined the Shropshire event for us... we were treated like lepers!!

Edited for spelling!

Edited by hazel and Phill
those dates are ok for you to stay at the campsite. yes we are able to place you alltogether if you so wish. it is fine for you to have bbqs and as long as you are not too loud and disruptive(which im sure you wont be) then you are able to continue your get togethers into the night.

from the campsite owners.

We noticed the comments on caravans/ being together at the shropshire event so are trying to prevent it happening at this meet.

Please note you need government approval to take a caravan.

If you'd booked well in advance on the Steam Packet web site for a similar trip this summer, and returned within 5 days, you'd have paid £158 total (for a car and 2 passengers). Or £163 if the trip involved a sailing on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

For a week, the cost would have been £198 with the restriction that you have to travel on the days Monday-Thursday.

It's much cheaper for foot passengers, so if you've got room in the car it would be best to pack it with friends and share the costs.

Hopefully that's a useful guide to potential prices for 2006. I can't predict whether the prices will go up: new owners have taken over the company and there are fuel surcharges now. But there will doubtless be special offers which will keep costs down (remember it's over 80 miles each way from Liverpool to Douglas so it's not as cheap as you'd expect).

HH

P.S. the cache count is now up to 64 - I've been putting together a series of ten very unusual caches, which can be done in a day (perhaps...)

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I went to the proposed camp site tonight and the owners seemed very enthusiastic about the event. They have a marquee which can be used for social gatherings in the evening (so it doesn't matter quite so much if it rains) and the site is in a pleasant spot out in the countryside, two miles from the sea. The caravan area is adjacent to the camping field, and the shower blocks are on the edge of the field. I'll leave it to Mark and Lynn to set up the event cache now they have the exact coordinates.

HH

I went to the proposed camp site tonight

Shh youve let the cat out of the bag :lol: , arent you the silent partner ;)

A big thank you here without the responses and help we have had from HH this event would of been an absolute non starter so thank you very much for your help so far

now about that 50 stage multi your setting up for the weekend..........

We now have a date and a venue so more news soon.

The Event Cache has now been published but unfortunately the publlished date is oncorrect as the system will not allow dates more than 6 months ahead to be used.

Normally we don't allow events this far ahead but in this case we've made an exception due to the necessity of forward planning to ensure places are available. I expect that as the date approaches the published date will be edited.

The Event Cache has now been published but unfortunately the publlished date is oncorrect as the system will not allow dates more than 6 months ahead to be used.

Normally we don't allow events this far ahead but in this case we've made an exception due to the necessity of forward planning to ensure places are available. I expect that as the date approaches the published date will be edited.

Many thanks for this it is much appreciated. I am sure the date move will be part of the weekly routine fro this cache :mad:

Look forward to seeing you all there.