Keep Your Cache From Getting "muggled"

Team Firebird

I usually modify the cache info page, and then put it in the cache prominently. The changes are intended to make the cache look more "official." Also, for one in a park and one at a tourist attraction, I notify the groundskeeper, so they know it's not trash. Then, careful placement provides concealment from anyone sitting on park benches, parked cars, etc., so it can be found without casual observation of the exact location. I usually don't camo the container -- I make it as harmless-looking as possible, so nobody mistakes it for a suspicious object - most of my containers are clear and brightly colored. Finally, for my most recent cache, I placed it about 20 feet from my office window, so if I see someone messing with it, I can throw rocks at him.

Anything you find interesting, unusual and worth takeing a look at is something that muggles will find interesting, unusual and worth taking a look at. That's not where you want to hide the cache. You want to hide it 100' over in the ugly thorn bush, or 200' over among the nondescript rocks. Geocahers will still see the cool scenery but the cache will be less likely to be muggled.

Public Parks are tough. You have to find the spot that the public doesn't look at, play on, crawl under and so on. Or where they won't look on the items they do look at, plan on or crawl under. It's not always easy but it does lead to some creative hides.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Yes, there are two issues going on here--the hide itself and those hunting for the cache.

• Try to hide the cache where it is not hard for a cacher to find. The least amount of time they spend looking for the cache the less attention they will draw to themselves.
  • Put the cache away from general view so the hunter can look without being observed.
  • Hide the cache well, but leave obvious clues like an Un-natural Pile of Sticks (or rocks).
  • Unlike others, I'd advise against putting it in interesting features like a hollow stump near a trail or any interesting feature, actually, which might draw someone over for examination.

For the hunters' side:

• Don't draw attention to your hunt.
  • If you are being observed, walk away.
  • Once you find the cache move well away from the hiding spot so as to not give it away in case a muggle or even another cacher comes along. (Spoils the hunt for the cacher.)
  • Make sure you are not observed putting it back is even more important than when finding it.

I'm sure there are some other tips, but these should cover 90% of the problems.

CR has offered an excellent summation.

And, don't hide it like this:

3e33e87b-be36-4835-87bc-7fb724c32723.jpg

We found this cache, in this condition, in a park. :laughing:

Obvously the previous finders didn't do a good job replacing the cache, but the hiders should have painted over the writing on the outside of the ammo can. I use tan and brown paint in a cammo pattern on green ammo cans and it really helps disquise them when they are hidden in the shadows beneath bushes.

Yes, there are two issues going on here--the hide itself and those hunting for the cache.

•  

• Try to hide the cache where it is not hard for a cacher to find.  The least amount of time they spend looking for the cache the less attention they will draw to themselves. 

• Put the cache away from general view so the hunter can look without being observed.

• Hide the cache well, but leave obvious clues like an Un-natural Pile of Sticks (or rocks). 

• Unlike others, I'd advise against putting it in interesting features like a hollow stump near a trail or any interesting feature, actually, which might draw someone over for examination.

For the hunters' side:

•  

• Don't draw attention to your hunt.

• If you are being observed, walk away.

• Once you find the cache move well away from the hiding spot so as to not give it away in case a muggle or even another cacher comes along.  (Spoils the hunt for the cacher.)

• Make sure you are not observed putting it back is even more important than when finding it.

I'm sure there are some other tips, but these should cover 90% of the problems.

Good advice!

Here's some advice for the remaining 10% of the problems. I have had several caches stolen several times each and I know that they were not "stumbled" upon. In both cases, some nearby cabin "owners" (who actually lease them from the state) were told, by other cachers, the caches existed. Shortly thereafter, they went missing. Both of these caches were properly permitted and located on public land. I guess they either wanted the ammo cans or didn't want other people around...even though its public land. Some around here are funny like that.

My solution was to make them MOC's. They have been fine ever since. I'm considering making all mine MOC's, just to keep the potential "riff-raff" from knowing where my caches are.

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

If people like to make fires nearby, maybe rocks are better than sticks for camo. I hid my first cache under a nice piece of bark and some sticks, but then some pyromaniac teenagers came by looking for things to make a fire with. Of course the bark looked great to them, and presto! they found the cache. Ended up burning the log book and scattering the contents of the cache everywhere, stealing a TB in the process. I had seen signs of fires in the area, but they looked old and I never would have thought about people hunting for firewood. I guess sometimes you have to think like a muggle to protect your caches.