CITO Day For 2006 (edit: April 22)

AuntieNae

Hello,

I live in both worlds you could say. I am both a Geocacher AND a Parks & Recreation person. We are currently planning our Winter/Spring 2006 program schedule. We would like to incorporate a CITO event on the National CITO day .. but I need the date SOON. Does anyone know if the official date has been selected yet?

AuntieNae

Hi All - is CITO day a national event? Is there one contact person for it??

Right now I'm a tad upset as I received (through channels) an email that originated at the National Forest level (Stanislaus National Forest Wilderness Coordinator) requesting permission (from whom I don't know) to find and remove caches in designated Wilderness areas. I did email his and suggested perhaps working with the geocaching community would be the way to go ... I'm wondering what is involved in CITO day and if it's informal or how it works as I'd like to contact the FS and try to work out a happy medium (I live near 2 National Forests)

thanks!! and happy caching

Hi All - is CITO day a national event?  Is there one contact person for it??

It is an international event, actually.

There isn't really just one contact person for it. It's definitely a decentralized thing. Each local group can and do set up each CITO event cache, and the contact persons will be different for each CITO event.

This web site has not been updated for 2006 yet but it can still give you some basic info.

http://cacheintrashout.org/

Edited by MissJenn
Hi All - is CITO day a national event?  Is there one contact person for it??

Right now I'm a tad upset as I received (through channels) an email that originated at the National Forest level (Stanislaus National Forest Wilderness Coordinator) requesting permission (from whom I don't know) to find and remove caches in designated Wilderness areas.  I did email his and suggested perhaps working with the geocaching community would be the way to go ...    I'm wondering what is involved in CITO day and if it's informal or how it works as I'd like to contact the FS and try to work out a happy medium (I live near 2 National Forests)

thanks!! and happy caching

Little confused, you got an e-mail from someone at a specfic National Forest and they are asking you to remove Geocaches from their land? I can't find the formal policy on their website, it appears to be up the indiviudal land manager. These National Forests allow Geocaching.

Edited by magellan315

Sorry if I'm annoying you by this, but I'm a new geocacher. I have recently checked out the CITO website, and all it gives is the date. Whre can I find out about any CITO events in my area? (I live in Carrollton, Texas) Thanks! :D

Edited by jazz_man
Sorry if I'm annoying you by this, but I'm a new geocacher.  I have recently checked out the CITO website, and all it gives is the date.  Whre can I find out about any CITO events in my area?  (I live in Carrollton, Texas)  Thanks!  :D

Check with your local geocaching organization. Check the regional forums further down teh forum list page and find teh one that lists Texas. There should be a list, or you can just ask.

Nevermind found it: Geocaching orgs in Texas.

Edited by New England n00b

You can always run a search by state. Just go to geocaching.com, click on advanced search, select CITO event, then choose state from the drop-down menu. Select your country and state from the new boxes and click seek.

You can also search by coords, zip code, etc. by selecting those options.

Doing this for texas currently brings up nothing, but as events are planned they will show up.

Whre can I find out about any CITO events in my area?

Aside from the other posts above, you can also try the Geocaching Event Calendar. Right now, for example, there is a listing for Bettis Plot Mini-CITO by Jamie Z (GCRNVC) in Tennessee.

The Bettis Plot Mini-CITO turned out to be a better CITO than any of the other CITO events I've attended (or hosted). Jamie Z and the local caching community did a great job in the rain yesterday!