Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
gringo_nordestino

Any Shortwave Listeners?

I used to be real serious into DXing and SWLing; my main interests being mediumwave DX and shortwave. I logged about 150+ countries and collected many QSL cards, pennants, etc. I used to attend the ANARC conventions back in the early 80s. Had a great time with the hobby.

I have never had a good location and had put up with much noise and poor conditions and my interest is pretty much gone now but I still like to occasionally turn on my radio and listen to english broadcasts from the various countries still on SW. But with everybody relaying everybody else the DXing aspect of this hobby is pretty much gone.

I still have my log and my QSL cards so maybe someday my interest will be rekindled.

Geocaching is somewhat akin to SWLing/DXing since it's about hunting for a distant location/object/station. :laughing:

:laughing: Okay we must be the last three on earth. I use a Radio Shack DX-440, a Radio Shack DX-375, and an old Radio Shack DX-350 at work. Just doen't seem to be as popular as it was a few years ago.

I got a Super Sangean 909, with the upgrades from RadioLabs, I got a ETON E 100, excellent palm size with full range from the 1.7 to 29.9999, and a mini receiver from Grundig, also a hand held but not full coverage. I'm thinking about getting the Mini CC radio from Crane when it comes out.

Hiya Folk,

Just saw this thread and had to reply.

Im from ZL Country and have been a Dxer since the Mid 70's. Im still quite young at 49 I hope.

I started using Yaesu equipment FRG7, FRG 7000, Barlow Wadley and since the mid 80's a Sony ICF 2001D nwhich I believe is still considered one of the best poretable s/w receivers ever made.

Alas though since late 90's since the advent of the Internet my interest has waned in the Hobby. Used to be a member of the NZDXRA and NZDXRL and I still moderate a specific Sony 2001D yahoo email group.

These days Im more into the FRS/UHF CB here in NZ and the Scanner fraternity.

Good to catch up with you all.

Cheers

Chris

NZ

Hi SWLrs,

My Yaesu Musen FGR-7 is sitting on the end of my computer table and I "tune-the-word" about once a week for about an hour.

I used to listen alot when I was younger and gained an insight into how very slanted the news from various countries can be. There's always another side to a story or news event. I still listen mostly to news-casts from other countries.

Funny how things work -- I was just looking on the net for those new-fangled 2-way radios -- the Family Radio Service ones -- the .5 watt FM models with 6-8 channels.

Maybe a thread here could offer some info and suggestions as to what they are and how these can be used in geocaching, etc.

I just found that Motorola has at least one FRS radio -- there may be other manufactures and models.

Hi SWLrs,

My Yaesu Musen FGR-7 is sitting on the end of my computer table and I "tune-the-word" about once a week for about an hour.

I used to listen alot when I was younger and gained an insight into how very slanted the news from various countries can be. There's always another side to a story or news event. I still listen mostly to news-casts from other countries.

Funny how things work -- I was just looking on the net for those new-fangled 2-way radios -- the Family Radio Service ones -- the .5 watt FM models with 6-8 channels.

Maybe a thread here could offer some info and suggestions as to what they are and how these can be used in geocaching, etc.

I just found that Motorola has at least one FRS radio -- there may be other manufactures and models.

Set your search at the botton of this page to show posts for the last 90 days and you'll see there is a thread regarding FRS. Or click here.

I think there are other threads about FRS but you will need to do a search.

Ooops! Someone here on the forums sent me an e-mail asking about Ham radio but I accidently deleted it and can't recover it. Sorry. Please re-email me and I'll get back with you ASAP.

Now back to your regularly-scheduled forums. :rolleyes:

Listen to pirate radio with my Sony ICF-SW7600G and good friends with George Zeller who writes about pirate radio in Monitoring Times.

Pete

...just a WHISTLEN!