Liquor In A Cache

gumbyatl92

hello,

I was recently given a bunch of the little single-shot, airplane size liquor bottles. I dropped one in a cache the other day because i thought it would be a fun find. Sign a log and get a free shot. But a day later i was thinking about it and wasn't sure if this was appropriate.

On one hand the vast majority of those geocaching are of age and if not they are at least old enough to drive. Most of us drank when we were 16 and I have no moral qualms about a 16 y/o getting his hands on a shot.

On the other hand there is the off chance a younger kid could stumble across the cache and find it. Although, it is too little alcohol to do any actual damage I'm sure there would be an angry parent (who should have been watching his/her child in the first place)

Anyways, I just wanted some feedback from the geocache community on whether not this sort of thing is an appropriate drop or not.

thanks,

gumbyatl92

Whisky brewed by Trolls?

That or and idiot, if not a troll

I guess you never read the guidelines, you should go back and remove it <_<

liquor is not allowed. This can cause some real legal problems if some kid finds it <_< .

A large number of cachers are not of age.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I don't think I'd call that "trolling" or an "idiot." It struck me as an honest question, asked in a thoughtful manner by a NEW GEOCACHER who obviously likes the sport enough to have already bought a premium membership. So I will try to answer honestly and thoughtfully as well.

I think the Cache Contents section of the geocache listing guidelines is dispositive of the issue:

Cache Contents

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled.

Based on the above, I would not leave little booze bottles in a geocache.

Edited by The Leprechauns
...On one hand the vast majority of those geocaching are of age and if not they are at least old enough to drive. Most of us drank when we were 16 and I have no moral qualms about a 16 y/o getting his hands on a shot....

I didn't drink at 16 and I have some really serious issues with anybody that doesn't have "moral qualms" about 16 years that get thier hands on a shot that you provide. (at least here in the USA). It is illegal for minors to have or drink alcohol.

Please go remove it. Totally inappropriate for all under 21.

...On one hand the vast majority of those geocaching are of age and if not they are at least old enough to drive. Most of us drank when we were 16 and I have no moral qualms about a 16 y/o getting his hands on a shot....

I didn't drink at 16 and I have some really serious issues with anybody that doesn't have "moral qualms" about 16 years that get thier hands on a shot that you provide. (at least here in the USA). It is illegal for minors to have or drink alcohol.

Please go remove it. Totally inappropriate for all under 21.

Agree 100% - but because it is ILLEGAL - not because it's inappropriate.

21 is a stupid law, and has been since it's inception.

But that's a debate for OT - I still agree it shouldn't be there.

The OT section is only visible to premium members. It is about 95% spam.

Spam?

According to the dictionary: unsolicited usually commercial e-mail sent to a large number of addresses.

Nope, no spam in there. Even if you expand the definition to include unsolicited posting on a forum, there still no spam.

Plenty of silly stuff, and random wierdness, no no spam (and very little angst).

<_<

Anyways, back on topic, leaving perfectly good alcohol in a cache isn't just against the law and the guidelines of this site, but I'm pretty sure its also a Party Foul!

It is about 95% spam.

And 5% llamas. :laughing:

You forgot the cheese.

Back on topic (again). Leaving alcohol in a cache is a VERY BAD IDEA. Not only might minors find it, but bears like it too (anyone remember the bear a few years back that was busting into campgrounds and drinking the beer?)

I am another that did not consume any alcohol until I was 21 and legal age. Stupid law or not, it's still the law. I think speed limits are stupid, but guess what? I obey them. And I lost way too many classmates and friends in high school to alcohol related traffic accidents to think making alcohol available to teenagers is 'cool'. Personally, if I ever see someone giving a minor alcohol, if they're lucky I'll only call the cops.

This is a family sport. Many people cache with their kids. Some of these might not even look at the swag, just let their kids do the trade while they sign the logbook. What's only a shot to a grown adult would be a whole heck of a lotta booze for little Suzy Second Grade or Kindergarten Kyle.

Think of the stupid and immature carp people do when drunk. Makes them act like they're pre-pubescant kids, don't it? Now imagine KIDS in that state. Not cool.

OP--I'm glad to see that you have had second thoughts about it, and you came to the right place to find out the answer. Go back ASAP (like, yesterday) and remove the bottle.

Edited by dkwolf
Leaving alcohol in a cache is a VERY BAD IDEA. Not only might minors find it, but bears like it too (anyone remember the bear a few years back that was busting into campgrounds and drinking the beer?)

What a bear would consider as "just a shot" at the end of a long day of salmon fishing would cause fatal alcohol poisoning in even the largest of hamsters. So, think of the hamsters. Your trade item can adversely affect other trade items.

Leaving alcohol in a cache is a VERY BAD IDEA.  Not only might minors find it, but bears like it too (anyone remember the bear a few years back that was busting into campgrounds and drinking the beer?)

What a bear would consider as "just a shot" at the end of a long day of salmon fishing would cause fatal alcohol poisoning in even the largest of hamsters. So, think of the hamsters. Your trade item can adversely affect other trade items.

Boy I'm glad water wipes off a computer monitor easily!

Inappropriate! And by the way so are: condoms, knives, tobacco products, anything that can go boom, lighters or fuels of any sort. All this may mix with the food that is in the caches and make it taste funny.

why aren't condoms appropriate?

Well, for one thing, the materials in the condom will break down much more quickly when exposed to outdoor weather conditions (repeated heating and cooling)---or---they could weaken or get small rips/tears from being knocked against by pens, pencils, and other hard-edged objects in the cache. In either event, the condoms will no longer function as they should, putting a potential user at an increased risk of contracting a nasty disease or experiencing an unplanned pregnancy.

Thanks for the feedback, especially to those that were polite and sympathetic. I am on my way to out the door to remove it. If a moderator is watching you can go ahead and kill this thread.

Since the topic originator has requested the topic be closed, I'm taking care of that.

In the future if you would like to close your own topic, you can do so at the bottom left of the thread you created.