Where To Get Cool Microcontainers?

HesDeadJim

Is there anyplace to purchase (or ideas on how to make) microcontainers that are in different shapes to make them more fun to hide? I'm thinking that a microcontainer that is shaped like an apple or a pinecone would be a lot more fun to find than a metal cylinder or film cannister hanging from a treebranch. If anyone has any links or information, I'd love to hear from you. Also if anyone has any cool suggestions for micro container shapes or ideas for camouflaging them, please share.

Thanks! <_<

...microcontainers that are in different shapes to make them more fun to hide? I'm thinking that a microcontainer that is shaped like an apple... would be a lot more fun... Also if anyone has any cool suggestions for micro container shapes or ideas for camouflaging them, please share...

Fun?? FUN?!?!

Apparently you, sir, haven't spent hours looking for a bison tube in the woods...

Apparently you haven't had to pretend you were "just admiring the area" in front of 2 million+ muggles trying to eye a nanocache container.

Here is a suggestion...Don't place a cache just because the cache container is "cool". Fer instance, if I was looking for a cache container that was/looked like a WWII era artillary shell (I'm a WWII buff...), the "coolness" factor would be negated by the fact that it was hid on the bank of a waste treatment runoff pond.

Take into account the location. Just like real estate says..."Location, location, location"! And if you can at all help it, use a full sized container. Remember, GPSr's can only get down to a couple of yards (on a good day). Add to that any amount of error between two recievers, and an area that may have lots and lots of hidey places, and it could be like hunting for a needle in a stack of needles.

I'm not 100% against micros, but think: Just because a cache container is tres cool, and just because a cache COULD go there, does it really need one?

I have found micros hidden in apples, a pear, and a pinecone.

They have all been fun finds, although the pinecone took a long time to find since the tree was loaded with pinecones at the time we were there.

I think the apples and the pears might have come from a craft store like "Michaels." The pinecone was made by the very creative hider.

Fake things are nice and fun. But, when you get to the point where you come to the location and begin to destroy nature because it may be park of a cache hiding location, or this or that, it's not longer fun...it's disgraceful.

What's the point in hiding a cache no one can find?

Make them fun, but make them practical at the same time. :laughing:

Fake things are nice and fun. But, when you get to the point where you come to the location and begin to destroy nature because it may be park of a cache hiding location, or this or that, it's not longer fun...it's disgraceful.

What's the point in hiding a cache no one can find?

Make them fun, but make them practical at the same time. :laughing:

Yeah like hiding a pine cone cache in an oak tree and seeing if someone notices :blink:

Fun?? FUN?!?!

Apparently you, sir, haven't spent hours looking for a bison tube in the woods...

Apparently you haven't had to pretend you were "just admiring the area" in front of 2 million+ muggles trying to eye a nanocache container.

What you dont like a challenge, if you dont like it dont go searching for it.

If you goto google and search for Micro Geocache containers you will find some.

Is there anyplace to purchase (or ideas on how to make) microcontainers that are in different shapes to make them more fun to hide? I'm thinking that a microcontainer that is shaped like an apple or a pinecone would be a lot more fun to find than a metal cylinder or film cannister hanging from a treebranch. If anyone has any links or information, I'd love to hear from you. Also if anyone has any cool suggestions for micro container shapes or ideas for camouflaging them, please share.

Thanks! :laughing:

Some candys come in fruit shaped containers. Just make sure that you wash them out first, or you will have a cache that becomes an anthill. Actually, a fake anthill would be a good micro. Ideas....Ideas... :ph34r:

I think these would make FUN cache containers.

Baseball%20Grenade.JPG

Be sure to let cachers know that they have to pull the pin to find out what's inside!  :laughing:

You ain't gonna put real ones around the the fake one to make the cache harder to find are you? :ph34r:

Nah, I was thinking more along these lines for a perimiter defense:

m18a1-5.jpg

I think that might bring the difficulty level up to a 4 or so. :ph34r:

If you are good at finding hard caches, the occasional pear hanging from a Juniper tree, or apple hanging from a pine tree are a quite enjoyable change.

I doubt the finder was referring to hiding a pet id tube in a fake almond, but rather something bigger like a fake pumpkin. Another fun item to hide caches in are garden critters. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...ogId=STATUARIES

I've found a lot of creative containers in random places--eBay, crafts stores, home-building supply stores, toy stores, even the grocery store.

Bear in mind that even "creative" containers can reach the mundane if there are too many of them. My old area suddenly exploded with fake critter caches for awhile. "Oh look, another fake hedgehog." I can't even begin to count how many fake apples I've found in pear trees, or fake oranges in pine treest, etc.

On the other hand, I haven't seen a single "critter cache" for miles around my house, so that type of hide would be reasonably unique to my immediate area.

I am puting a cache in a trout stream. It is a multi and all the waypoints before the final are micros. I use a 4 ml NUNC cryovial cast into a concrete fish. I bought the molds for about $10 apiece. Let's see, I think I have two fish, a starfish, a whale, a turtle and a small gator. I saw the molds for the three piece gator that looks like he swimming in your yard, but it was $60 or so for this one critter.

The stream has a lot of crayfish, so I really wanted to make a small lobster, but the only ones I could find were much too big.

If anyone wants any of these critters, I can make a couple for you. None are large enough to make into a larger size cache though. They are all micros, and not large ones at that. A 4 ml NUNC cryovial is not very large. I could use a fatter Bison tube I guess if you want room for a larger log sheet, but I would need you to buy the Bison tube. Concrete is pretty cheap and I am getting pretty good at making these.

I have not been able to make a good rock though, so I bought a 1/2" masonry drill and used a real rock.

Found a fresh idea this weekend . . . someone had carved a hole in a golf ball and placed a small bison tube in it, placed it near a disk golf course.

The best containers for hides are made from what is common in the area of the hide . . . carved out pine cones, sticks, rocks/stones - they can be placed in the open free of muggles but serve as great hides.

I have not been able to make a good rock though, so I bought a 1/2" masonry drill and used a real rock.

:ph34r:

That should go into the "most spent to place a cache" thread!

The bit only cost $4.

It was a bit frustrating to try to make a fake rock after reading about people doing that by making molds of real rocks and then pouring concrete. I bought latex rubber mold builder for $20 and found that it takes forever to get a good mold of even a small rock since you have to build it up in layers... many, many layers. Then I found that it is hard to cut the mold open so as to remove the rock and still be able to pour concrete into the mold without it running out. You also have to make a support for the mold since the rubber deforms under the weight of the concrete. Finally the fake rock will have lots of air bubbles on the surface unless you have some way to vibrate them out. In the end I have a small fake rock with a pock marked surface and no place to put a log. Trying to make one large enough to hide an ammo box would be a lifetime project. :lol:

I think I will try paper mache.

Edited by tossedsalad