Geocoding Digital Photos

Rubbertoe

I've been thinking about creating some image galleries on my site, using the Google Maps API - and I think RoboGeo looks like the best inexpensive option. The generated files don't allow for linking to off-site photos, but that can be fixed with a bit of .xml editing. I was just wondering if anyone uses this app, or if there are others that are considered better.

Here's a temporary test gallery I created to show basically what I'm thinking about doing: RoboGeo Test Map - Lancaster Ohio

Thanks for the options folks... looks like this is something is really going to catch on in the not-so-distant future. I really like the way the RoboGeo pages are displayed, so I think I'm gonna go with that. It'll be fun driving around town this winter, taking pictures of the pretty houses with the nicest Christmas...er.. holiday lights... and then display them all via the map. The only downside I see is that the result maps rely on the google map API - but it ain't like they're gonna be goin' anywhere. ;)

Thanks for the options folks...  looks like this is something is really going to catch on in the not-so-distant future.  I really like the way the RoboGeo pages are displayed, so I think I'm gonna go with that.  It'll be fun driving around town this winter, taking pictures of the pretty houses with the nicest Christmas...er..  holiday lights...  and then display them all via the map.  The only downside I see is that the result maps rely on the google map API - but it ain't like they're gonna be goin' anywhere.  :D

OutpostBabu and I found RoboGeo to be quite useful as well. There are a few minor annoyances (like the inability to delete a group photos that don't fall into the timeframe of your GPS log), but all-in-all it's well rounded. And, the fact that it uses Google's mapping API means it's very very flexible.

Here are a few examples of what we've done with it:

http://fortunemegastore.com/googlemaps/savannah/ (OutpostBabu's site... from our exploration of Savannah, GA)

http://www.abditory.com/googlemaps/blood_m..._oct_05/map.htm (My site... from my day-hike on Blood Mountain, GA, including a geocache: GC915)

Yesterday I released v2.1 and added the ability to automatically remove all of the ungeoreferenced images. That annoyed a lot of other people too :)

Yeah, I played around with the demo a bit and registered the program a couple of days ago. I like the google maps aspect of it, compared to similar programs - and it's relatively cheap for an app that does what it does. My PC is crap, so I can't run Google Earth, but I know that will probably end up being the feature that it is best known for in the long run. I bet this geocoded image crap is really gonna catch fire in the next few years. Hopefully RoboGeo will be at the front of the field...

okay... gonna go upgrade mine now. :o

I also played around with the demo a bit and registered the program last night. It is very cool! Still playing and experimenting and I've got a question. I successfully exported a .kml file which opens in GE and lets me click to open my photos, but I tried exporting a .kmz file and the photos do not open for me. I was hoping to send this "zipped" file to a friend so he could see my new geocache location with photos.

Any insight into what I'm doing wrong or missing here? Thanks in advance to any RoboGEO gurus out there!

I also played around with the demo a bit and registered the program last night. It is very cool! Still playing and experimenting and I've got a question. I successfully exported a .kml file which opens in GE and lets me click to open my photos, but I tried exporting a .kmz file and the photos do not open for me. I was hoping to send this "zipped" file to a friend so he could see my new geocache location with photos.

Any insight into what I'm doing wrong or missing here? Thanks in advance to any RoboGEO gurus out there!

Tim Helton just solved my dilema. I had an older version of GE installed. Once I upgraded to v.3.0.0616 (beta) all is right with the world! My .kmz file now opens all the photos perfectly. I love this program!!

Thanks Tim! Keep up the great work.

I registered my copy of RoboGeo a couple of weeks ago, and since then I've made a few different map/gallery pages on my site with it. One of them is simply a saved track, another is the beginnings of a QTVR movie gallery, and the third (and newest) page is a collection of vacation photos and QuicktimeVR panorama movies from Atlantic City NJ.

Rubbertoe's RoboGeo Generated Pages

All of the location data for the Atlantic City gallery was manually added. And luckily, having already destroyed the EXIF info in many of those pictures - the current version of RoboGeo will happily accept new info and create working EXIF data for you. (The program I use to stitch panoramas out of several photos... it doesn't supply EXIF data for the resulting image, so the addition of this feature was greatly appreciated.)

Man, that's a nice app.

(Just a happy customer... Toe.)